How do you tell what electronic boost controller to go for?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
I think the APEXI AVCR is a really good unit. They are a bit expensive in AUS but you can get one delivered from NENGUN for about $620.

This unit has the lot!

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Has anyone got the HKS EVC-S? How do you like them, they seem like a good unit. I can get one for $400.

G

Unregistered
One more thing Craig, when you do decide on a controller.. please have a go at installing it yourself as you will learn heaps about the car in the process.

There have been a few people lately who have taken theirs to the 'experts' to install, only to have to come back here for advice when it's been bodged up. So you certainly couldn't do a worse job than the pros!

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I don't trust other people to do work on my car, half of these "professionals" or "experts" have poor work ethic and will just do things the easy way and not the right/neat way.

Besides I was an auto elec and now I'm an aircraft technician. How hard could it be.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
A question for those with a gizzmo ibc, is it able to maintain boost levels at high rpm (like the e-boost is supposed to), or does it still fade towards redline?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Hey all, I decided on the HKS EVC-S and its all installed however its seems either I'm an idiot and not pressing the right thing or its not as easy to set up as it says it is. OK here is the story, I thought it would just be a matter of "I want 12psi for mode A and 14 for mode B" however it asks you to set a bunch of other things such as "off set value" "response value" "over boost value" but not the desired boost level as far as i know. Any ideas on how to set it at 12psi for A and 14psi for B?

Thanks

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
G

Unregistered
If the EVC-S is anything like the Profec, it's all about setting the duty cycle for the solenoid and not the actual boost pressure desired.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
It says something along the lines of if you increase the offset value the boost increases. Its measured in % so any ideas how to set it up? Stupid thing said it was easy to set up :(

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Hmmm, OK. Well when i have it sorted ill post my settings up so anyone else who gets an EVC-S for their VR-4 knows roughly what to put.

G

Unregistered
Do you have Evoscan? Those EVC-S have an external MAP sensor don't they? You can splice into it, feed that into an used input on the ECU and log your boost curves for tuning :D

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Reset the unit, then do the two learn runs.

Then put offset at 100 and it should be correct.

I have an evc4 and found that the HKS website provided install instructions and setup instructions on their website. Dont know about the evc-s though.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I like the Eboost 2 (apart from it eing a bit of a pain to mount neatly.... 4 switchable maps and adjustable through the rev range (although the resolution is only every 500RPM so I told it my car was a 4 cylinder and now I have adjustment every 333RPM - you have to do a bit of maths when you change things)/ they claim six maps but that's only for sequentially changing maps so useless for most road cars.

Downside, no analogue output (Why not given it has a MAP sensor built in?) not the end of the world to get a map sensor but it's already in there grrrr!

So why the four maps:
I have one setpoint on a hidden switch that just keeps the solenoid open to the wastegate all the time - for car wash and parking attendants etc
Another which spools up slowly and keeps a roughly linear torque curve - a wet road map
Another which is full on, and goes as hard as it can everywhere - a track map
And the last i use most of the time which is a bit softer than the track map and smoothened out a little bit - a dry road map

The switch for selecting which of the last 3 maps is in the glove box. Works for me

Also, a lot of the closed loop systems use the closed loop feedback to reset the setpoint. This means all sorts of factors change how they get setup. My setup differed between running a stock and flashed ecu.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I have also found the eboost street to perform fairly well now, but only has 2 maps. It is however a lot easier to mount.
It does have some of the faetures of the eboost 2, but since it is nearly half the price, you get what you pay for...

Top Bottom