How do you tell what electronic boost controller to go for?

buduki

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cheyne
Drive
Stocko Galant vr4 Type V
Have been looking at the GIzzmo ms-2

http://gizzmoelectronics.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=102

its got an integrated turbo timer...and its small enough to hide where my clock is

Anyoneused one of these?

Yes mate I have one of these. I installed it myself with the aid of a guide from this site. It lives where the clock used to. It works off Duty and Gain, My impression of the instructions was Duty is the boost and Gain is how soon you want it. It has scramble feature, which I think is adding boost through the curve. E,G set for 8psi then 2 seconds later while on boost, boost upto 10psi. 6 setting inputs open and closed loop, as well as over boost prtection, you can also splice it into ecu to control boost cut.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Has anyone had any experience with the HDi SBC-D-SE? It seems to get favourable write ups on the web, but I can't find that much info.
I already have a boost gauge, so will just tap into that line save running another tube to the engine bay.

Also has anyone had any hassles with increasing their boost on a stock fuel map to say 13psi? Does our factory fuel map handle this or does it dump a heap of fuel in and then turn economy to poo?
From what I can find using the search button, we get fuel cut at 15psi, so I am hoping 13psi is ok.

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
So I should be able to achieve the same result without an EBC???

Sounds nice, then the boys in blue wont have an issue either... Will have a read of that thread when I have a spare few minutes. Thanks

Edit: read the thread and it still doesn't get rid of wastegate creep and seems a lot more difficult/risky to do than an off the shelf EBC...

I will be getting an ECU reflash once I have an exhaust and bigger intercooler... so maybe an EBC isn't worth it just yet??

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
There's a bit more stuff on CVR4 about it, it's not that hard. Shtiv & Hotwire would probs be the best to explain things as they have done the best testing of it.

Would be worth including in your ECU Reflash once the zoorst & intercooler are updated. If you include an Evo MR BOV on your shopping list, you should be set.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Basics of it:

Tuning boost via ECU is good bang for buck as you can tune iginition, boost cut, fuelling at the same time.
EBC is better at preventing wastegate creep and quicker spool. However, 3 port solenoid with factory ECU could also perform this function.

Personally? EBC + reflash = best combo and what i've done simply because my car came with an EBC. If it didnt? I would have done it solely with the factory ECU ;)

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Personally? EBC + reflash = best combo ;)
+1
Reflash is good but I like to keep some of the tuning for myself. Ebc is handy but if you need to lower the boost for whatever reason (dropping car off at mechanics, car starts misfiring etc) or crank it up for a run down the drag strip.

Top Bottom