How do you tell what electronic boost controller to go for?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
As the title suggests I thought I might start a thread that covers different EBC's, whats good, whats bad, prices, features and peoples opinions on each ETC.

I'm looking at getting a boost controller but don't know what to look for. I was thinking a GReddy Profec B but for the same price you could get a good looking HKS unit.

So I put it to you guys, Whats a good unit to go for?

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
I just bought a Gizzmo. It's a simple closed loop EBC with 4 preset boost settings controllable up to 2 bar. I thought it was pretty good for $290 at Autobarn.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
eBoost II. Spensive as and unfortunately need a gauge holder or similar but easily one of the best. I had one but ditched it because of the mounting. I wanted a flat flush remote unit like the I-color. Will prb get one of those when i have the cash.

sart0ri

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 VR-4 Galant
I have a HKS EVC 4.

I am very happy with it, it is easy to use and I have had no issues with it. I would imagine the newer versions are even better.

G

Unregistered
I have the Greddy Profec B Spec 2 and it's a bit of a pain to tune the settings because it's an open loop type. Even though it has it's own MAP sensor built-in, that's really just for the digital boost gauge readout and the dumb limiter (you set the amount of boost cut you want and at what pressure).

Instead I recommend you get one that has a closed loop function so you don't have to stuff around with the settings. With them you simply dial in the boost you want and the controller will do its best to keep it stable. Also, if you get one with a boost graphing feature it will come in very handy for diagnostics.

If you want to read up about some experiences with the Profec then check this thread:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6268

G

Unregistered
i have a gizzmo IBC (not the ms)
simple to install and simple to setup and use,

a guy i know had the MS-IBC ended up selling it because it was a bitch to use/setup

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I third the Gizzmo unit. Now as good as the Greddy Profec's IMO, for half the money! Get the closed loop one if you don't want to f around tuning it :) (Ie, the IBC)

Installed one in a Skyline not long back and it was magnificent.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Whats the difference between closed loop and open loop?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Closed loop control uses a pressure sensor to adjust the pressure to a set point, using system outputs to determine the necessary inputs. Open loop just aims for a particular pressure. Basically open loop doesnt use feedback (sensors) to achieve the set point.

Therefore closed loop is far more accurate.

G

Unregistered
closed loop = controller knows what's going on with the boost and can adjust itself on the fly.

open loop = you manual adjust the settings, go for a drive, then repeat until you get it right(ish). You may have to re-adjust from time to time, eg: cold mornings.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Do most EBC's come with an inbuilt boot guage? I dont want to get a boost guage but if i can get an EBC with one in it that would be handy.

So the Closed loop ones would probably be more expensive but are worth it? Sounds like the open loop ones are a pain in the arse.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Just realised my answer was kinda not related to actual boost controllers lol, my bad doing a unit on this atm so reverted back to reciting s**t.

On a side note i have a HKS evc4 and havent had a problem with it, its closed loop, has high/low boost settings, has soft boost cut which cuts the boost rather than slamming you into the windscreen with fuel cut. And after putting it in i have never had to touch it other than switching between high/low.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
And in relation to that question my boost controller has a digital boost readout, as do most of the closed loop types i imagine. Depends whether you want digital or analogue display. I like analogue so got a gauge too.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
HDI comes with a boost gauge, it displays bar and PSI

G

Unregistered
i bought a gizzmo ms-ibc i am pretty sure mine has 6 presets it has open or closed loop you choose. I got it for 300 thanks to mates rates.
it is sick

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Hahaha, snap.

I just bought a Gizzmo. It's a simple closed loop EBC with 4 preset boost settings controllable up to 2 bar. I thought it was pretty good for $290 at Autobarn.

You will have to show me next time we go on a cruise somewhere.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Those MS-IBC's look pretty good, I like the over boost protection feature. So it says they are open or closed, why would you want to select open if it knows what its doing in closed? It looks like I can get the MS-IBC for around $320, worth it?

I Like the look of the 6TH gen HKS EVC and the EVC-S but they are pretty expensive, more than the gizzmo stuff anyway.

Top Bottom