Engine 'stuttering' & Idle Vibration

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hi everyone,

During the past couple of days I have noticed the following with my Legnum ;

Firstly, when under moderate acceleration, you can feel the engine kind of like 'stuttering'. You can feel the throttle kick back through the accelerator pedal. It's most noticeable going up a big hill where you are really engaging the turbos & the foot is down hard. There is a repetitious dipping of the throttle that is worrying me...

Secondly, the car is vibrating quite harshly when idling. The steering wheel shimmers & you can feel the vibration through the car, especially sitting in the seat (my seats are leather). For some reason as well, when I'm sitting on 90km/h you get almost the same sensation, though at 110km/h, it's not there. I know some might say it's a wheel alignment thing, but would that also cause the vibration at idle ? I'm talking about sitting at the lights or waiting for it to warm up & warm down....

Lastly, after being driven for a while & the car is still warm, if I change between gears like from P to R, R to D, D to R, P to D, there is a noticeable delay then a 'clunk' sound when it engages the gear. This does not happen when first jumping in the car after it's been off for some time. In my job there is a fair amount of stop-start driving or I might duck into the office with the car still running for a few minutes, or be at a site for a short period of time. The sound it makes is what's worrying me.

Can anyone shed any light on these problems ? If it's something I've done wrong, then TELL ME PLEASE ! :)

BTW, I will be ringing MEEK to get my car in for a service soon...

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
From reading the PDF manual it looks as though there could be a fair few things that are wrong ... torque converter comes up a few times...

Hmm... need to keep reading... but I am soo tired..

G

Unregistered
i had a 'similar' experience...
my car started a very slight vibration at idle, but was only when it was cold....
however last week i started the car to hear something like a bolt in the gearbox, and apparently my torque converter has come loose...

i'm currently waiting for me car to be brought back to my house to rip the gearbox out and sus it out.

probably a silly question, but how is your ATF level, and how old is the fluid?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
change the atf fluid first of all. In regards to the engine stuttering, look into changing the spark plugs and see if they fix it.

triggs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
Trigger Mauve 1996 VR-4 Galant
Hey, i have a very similar if not same problem. I have very recently had my 100,000k service done and almost since then i have this vibration that occurs when i stop like at intersections/lights. it can be felt through my whole car. I have been told from a good source that i need to get my base idle reset but dont know where to get it done. Any ideas?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
reset the ecu? disconnect the battery and turn the lights on to get rid of anything left in there, reconnect.

triggs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
Trigger Mauve 1996 VR-4 Galant
Okie doke, sounds good and all Dan but ill probably loose audio in my standard deck, isnt there a code needed to turn it back on. I dont have the code as far as i know.

incinr8

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
ben
Drive
liberty
Secondly, the car is vibrating quite harshly when idling. The steering wheel shimmers & you can feel the vibration through the car, especially sitting in the seat (my seats are leather). For some reason as well, when I'm sitting on 90km/h you get almost the same sensation, though at 110km/h, it's not there. I know some might say it's a wheel alignment thing, but woul
Hi @king_panther this is the only thread ive found where someone else has mentioned the same throttle kicking back issue ive experienced, did you happen to find what the issue was? i am hoping that you still might get this message :)

Top Bottom