Faulty "new" O2 sensor

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Yes I know Kat, its just getting the time to do it.....and understand the "blinks"

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
My EvoScan should be here some time next week, so if you cant get them out via the PM I sent you, you can borrow it.. :)

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Gary,

I have fitted one, my fuel economy improved by about 50ks per tank. My fuel warning light comes on at between 480 to 540k's and takes 52litres to fill at that point.

Kat, that's absolutely crazy.
480km with a 52 lt fill is 10.8 l per 100
540 with a 52 lt fill is 9.6 l per 100.

And I passed up the opportunity to buy that car. Someone shoot me now. The best I get from mine is about 13 to the 100.

I'd love to remove my roof racks and record the figures to see if there is a difference.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
LOL I'd be willing to bet there'd be no measurable difference removing your roof racks Pete - unless there's something wrong with your car (which I seriously doubt - your figures seem normal) I reckon I could get under 10L/100km in your car. I average high 12's to mid 13's, but I've proven to myself I can knock it right down by completely changing my driving style.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Just to add insult to injury, Peter...
We drove up to sydney yesterday, covered 477.3km and used 42.46 litres, filled the car to the bream before we left and again to the bream when we got home.
Additionally while in Sydney the MH7203 ECU was EVO Scanned then removed, replaced with a MH7201F ECU started, turned off, EVO Scanned then again the MH7203 was refitted and we drove home.
So we're continually getting these figures...... made up of 380km+ doing 110kph on freeway and the rest running round in sydney traffic..... so normal driving.... (y)(y)(y)

Also as a comparsion, at the last trackday I used 38 litres to do 116k's, so kitty is capable of drinking fuel in guzzling volumes too...

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Well after having another "new" o2 sensor fitted it seems I may have found the culprit to my shocking fuel economy. After having 174kms with 2 notches off 1/4 of a tank, I filled up yesterday with the needle on empty and had 320kms on the trip meter and still only managed to put 45lt in so I had more to go. Will just have to wait and see what I get this time around, I have also noticed there is no longer a stench of rich fuel whenever I drive around.

My advice to everyone who is not getting economy like Kat, get the o2 sensor checked

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
Kat

omfg how do u get 480 to 540ks on a tank thats insaneeee. im lucky to get 340 drvivng nicely, how do u do it what do u do is there any way i can achieve that ? i know i can improve it by making the car breathe better and a nice tune, but is the fuel efficency that differnt your figures are astounding

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
I don't think I do anything differently than anyone else, I'm not overly aggressive when driving it, but I also don't baby it either when the chance to thump it comes along, but I'm pretty fanatical about maintenance, so I dont know...... Will be intersting to see what sort of returns I get with the upcoming snow trip this month and the trip up to the gold coast next month, I'm going to try for the 600mark, as I always have 6-8 litres left when I fill it.

One thing I have noticed is that if I use anything other than BP ultimate my economy goes down marginally, I always use 98RON but when I've used other brands I get 20-40 less K's on a tank..... go figure

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
hrrmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,, well i always use vpower and vpower racing when i the price is right, ill try bp tomorrow see how she goes but for now i have half a tank left and im filling up tomorrow morning soooo time to have funn =p

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
hmm.....i find Mobil 8000 goes the furthest distance.... that's just my experience though

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Razza, this is about VR4's not honda's, but thanks for your input

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
i know, i know, but i tried all the different brands of petrol and i don't use anything but 98RON anyway

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Yes I know I Know, but we are talking about VR4's that are designed to run on 98, where as your talking about a Honda which I think was engineered to run perfectly well on 91, ye ye I know you get 6-10% better economy running 98 in your car.

Now there are many reasons that could explain the difference why certain brands of 98 produce better economy, my conclussion is the crispness/staleness probably has the greatest effect on economy followed closely by driving style and then maintenance/tune of the particular car.

Based on my own personal experience in my own VR4 this is how the brands rate, based on many tanks of fuel and 8,700k's I've done in the car

BP Ultimate
Mobil Synergy8000 -20k's/tank
Shell V-Power -25k's/tank
Caltex 98 -40k's/tank

These are my own personal observation based on my own car, others will have varying views based on their own experiences.

Now to get this thread back on track, we're discussing faulty O2 sensors and its subsequent effect on economy, after changing my O2 sensor my fuel economy improved by about 50k's/tank. It was my fault for mentioning that I also get better economy from a particular brand fuel.

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
I don't think I do anything differently than anyone
One thing I have noticed is that if I use anything other than BP ultimate my economy goes down marginally, I always use 98RON but when I've used other brands I get 20-40 less K's on a tank..... go figure

I totally agree with this. I only use BP or Mobil - both 98 RON. I have noticed when using Mobil 98 my economy drops anywhere between 30-60kms. BP Ultimate I usually just get over 400k's on the clock and fills up around 44-46litres... So I still have 12-16 litres in the tank each time (if our tanks our 60ltr tanks)

Oh and I still haven't got around to changing my O2 sensor yet. I've got the REPCO one sitting in my room.

Top Bottom