Dodgy or faulty fuel gauges

G

Unregistered
Mine normally hits E with ~15L litres left and gets a solid light with ~10L left as suggested.

One time however I ran out of fuel with no fuel light, 2 notches from empty haha

Sent from the fires of Mt Doom

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Wow, glad I found this thread. Driving around in my Legnum today and the gauge was all over the place. First I was like "Awww, no way, it's THAT thirsty?", then it would shoot back up.
It sat on half a tank for ages, making me feel like a god, and then dropped like a stone to the 1/4 mark, so I was all "awwww" again. Then it went back up!

The car has an aftermarket Walbro fitted. I suppose the previous owner didn't fit the sensor back appropriately.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
If it is indicating an increase in fuel quantity like that, as in "shooting back up", there is a problem with the sensing unit.

And this thread has reminded me that I never did in fact get the calibrated fuel card drawn up. And I filled the tank, today! So I shall remind myself to let this tank run out and then calibrate the gauge accurately.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
If it is indicating an increase in fuel quantity like that, as in "shooting back up", there is a problem with the sensing unit
Well I wouldn't say it was "shooting" back up, but it did drop and come back a couple times. I figured it might have been due to braking and the fuel sloshing around.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
How much did it actually rise? Fuel sloshing around in the tank is unlikely to move it more than a millimetre or so. If it rose enough to visibly see it, I still think the issue lies with the sensing unit.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
A 4-5 second medium hard corner and mine can move quite a bit. Even in say a hard take off upto 100 km is enough to move it 2 bars

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Fair call. Guess I'll keep an eye on it.

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
I'm usually parked on a slope so the passenger side of the car is lower than the driver's side. This makes the gauge sit a little higher and it always makes me sad when I drive off in the morning and it slowly drops down 1 - 2 bars to it's correct spot :(

Top Bottom