Dodgy or faulty fuel gauges

ConnerS

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nick
Drive
02 Legnum type S
98 Lancer Evo 5 GSR
more annoying is when you have the fuel pump changed and it is not set in properly so that when the tank is full, the needle sits below the 3/4 full mark.

Mine did something similar except (at first) it wouldn't go below 1/4. Although the light would come on but the needle still showed 3/4. I shat myself when I was in the middle of no where when it first happened. I think it has strangely fixed itself though.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I just reset 'Trip A' meter every fill-up. I know I can get over 400km before the light comes on so generally fill up at 400km. Also enter it all into Fuelly so I can keep track of the average consumption and any effect mods might have on it.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
My pfl legnum was pretty on the mark... The FL galant has its 1/4 mark at under 1/8 of a tank... lol My mate galant is a bit higher but their Legnum is like my old one pretty close..

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
My parents' Honda has a trip computer and it reads anywhere from 10-20% optimistically for average fuel usage (I track it manually as above)... pretty dodgy if you ask me!

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
I've had the leggy for about half a week now and already clocked up 1,500km, I'm getting about 480-500km out of a tank which is much the same as my previous cars. Sounds like about 12L/100km

the fuel gauge thing is a major pain in the ass, but I'm just filling it up more often which is no biggy.

Shame the fuel tank isn't a decent shape, or 75L

Has anyone ever replaced it with a cell?

Xoxide

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
'98 Legnum
Well, this thread explains a few things now.
I've been a bit concerned lately as my trip is telling me that I'm only getting between 300-330KM a "tank".
I grew up being told that you should avoid driving on empty/reserve as the dregs in the bottom of the tank are bad for the engine. Usually I fill up when I get near the last 1/8th marker. so I'm definitely a little relieved to find out there's almost another 20L of fuel to play with.

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
Ive only had one tank where I got freakishly good economy. Drove around heaps one weekend clocking up 430kms. Thinking ive had next to no fuel in the tank I went to fill up and the car only took 45litres! 10.5/100 not bad at all.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
10.5/100 is my average fuel economy :p

but then I usually drive like a granny lol

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
After changing my fuel pump, at full tank (petrol spillage at the pump) my gauge showed 4/5 full. Then after the 2nd full fill and a bit of spirited driving the needle adjusted itself to full....figure that one out!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yea the VR4 fuel gauges are renowed for their unpredictability lol

I drove a Golf wagon for 40mins telling me it had 0kms left in the fuel tank. When I filled it up, there was still 5L in there.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
PB on the way back from World Time Attack Challenge last year, nonstop from just before Newcastle to Coffs...Read it and weep :lol:

8.8L/100km
425.0km, 37.43L

But seriously, is there any way to fix these gauges? Different sender? Sick of the fuel light coming on when i have 12L left

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Have you not been reading the thread? There is nothing wrong with the gauge or the sender. The scale is not linear due to the tank not being a rectangle.
The sender only tells you where the tank level is at, so for the bits which are narrower, the level drops quicker.

The fuel light should only be solidly on once you get to about 10L Since the light is there to tell you that you need to fill up, that is a good place. If you were thrashing it through the twisties, that could be only 50km of fuel (and you can get starvation issues on heavy acceleration by then anyway).

It is also great to know how much is left in your tank and think that the light should come on later but don't forget, there could conceivably be someone else driving the car who has no idea.

But seriously, is there any way to fix these gauges? Different sender? Sick of the fuel light coming on when i have 12L left

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
After changing my fuel pump, at full tank (petrol spillage at the pump) my gauge showed 4/5 full. Then after the 2nd full fill and a bit of spirited driving the needle adjusted itself to full....figure that one out!

A couple of us have noticed that after removing and reinserting the fuel pump assembly, the gauge can be seriously out of whack (more than usual). I think it is very sensitive to its position in the tank.

G

Unregistered
Not the most precision of devices, use it as a suggestion of the fuel level only.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
Have you not been reading the thread? There is nothing wrong with the gauge or the sender. The scale is not linear due to the tank not being a rectangle.
The sender only tells you where the tank level is at, so for the bits which are narrower, the level drops quicker.

The fuel light should only be solidly on once you get to about 10L Since the light is there to tell you that you need to fill up, that is a good place. If you were thrashing it through the twisties, that could be only 50km of fuel (and you can get starvation issues on heavy acceleration by then anyway).

It is also great to know how much is left in your tank and think that the light should come on later but don't forget, there could conceivably be someone else driving the car who has no idea.

Funnily enough, I have read a thread I'm participating in! I understand how and why it works (or doesn't) why it does. I was thinking more along the lines of something electronic that takes the sender signal and outputs it accurately?? I don't know how to explain it, just a curiosity.

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum

I guess I gotta do more spirited driving then. Soon.

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Just when I thought the old needle was behaving, the fuel light came on at the 2/5 mark.

but after reading the above post, just means that i have 10litres left..
So nothing to worry about here, except the fact that I have 10litres left in the tank? :) 415km is a record for me btw! The light normally comes on solid on the 'E' mark...but now its solid above the E....could be the correct figures then.

IMG_20120618_090032.jpg

G

Unregistered
Digging up an old thread, but anyone know if there is a way to solve a completely retarded gauge?
Mine is all over the shop lol example, driving along, just filled up so nice and full, and needle telling me so.. look down, needle on 3/4.. check again, needle back up to full, etc etc.. it continues to go up and down and all around before it settles on 1/8 and doesn't budge until the fuel light comes on.. o_O

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Digging up an old thread, but anyone know if there is a way to solve a completely retarded gauge?
Mine is all over the shop lol example, driving along, just filled up so nice and full, and needle telling me so.. look down, needle on 3/4.. check again, needle back up to full, etc etc.. it continues to go up and down and all around before it settles on 1/8 and doesn't budge until the fuel light comes on.. o_O

If the sensor is misaligned in the tank (attached to the pump assembly) it can give very inconsistent readings.

Top Bottom