faulty rear brakes?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
well, i am in trouble here. before i buy the new rotors and brakes, i thought i would wear out my brakes first.. well. here is the problem. My brakes are not so good so for temporary solution, i shaved the rotors professionally. It got bit better but the mechanic told me that the front and rea rotors were so thin, i really need a replacement soon.. (still saving for them) ANYWAY i found out today when i looked at the rear rotors, it seems like there are not enough pressure. The rotors have some rust on them even after 40 min of driving in a peak hours. would replacing the rotors will fix the problem? or what should i do?? AAARK~!:rolleyes:

G

Unregistered
No replacing the rotors will not fix the rear brakes working.

You should have a look at the front to rear bias is correct as well as checking the bias valve to see if it is working at all.
Other then that there may be some sort of electronic control over the brake bias so have a look for error codes as well

If there is nothing wrong here have a look at the brake lines. Check for kinks or dents in the brake lines or maybe check for blockages in the lines and bias vavles.

Well thats what I would do ONLY DO ANYTHING TO THE BRAKE SYSTEM IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING or you can reverse what you have done!!!! Dont forget the brakes are the only thing that stops you !!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
measure the rear rotor's thickness.. if it is thinner than 18.4mm then definitely you have to replace it.. otherwise the piston might pop out.. which will lead to something alot worse..

G

Unregistered
The rear brakes were probably not being used enough to clean them up if you were not doing any hard braking .I would check the slide pins are free as well as the piston

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
thanks heaps tom~ i will get it checked out asap. do not wanna play with brakes my self~. when i turn had right, there is no sound at all but turn left produces some noise like metal-to-metal (perhaps it is the mystery ayc sound.. :ROFLMAO:). could be related to the brakes... hmm...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
doesn't sound right, even gentle driving will normally remove the rust deposits from discs. imho you should get an expert to look at it

G

Unregistered
did you use new pads after the disks where skimmed?

if the pads are used and where worn un evenly,
they will not bed into the disk evenly, leaving rust rings until they have.

also have you checked the caliper sliders are free and moving?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
i went to the mechanics today. the brakes.. well, my machanic is going to pull the rear brake system out and dis-assemble them to find out. hetested it and realisd that the rear brakes are not grabing the rotors hard enough. fluids were good though.. 2 suspicions

1. rusted parts - will cost me a bit
2. blocked pipes - will cost be some money
3. f$#ked up brake system - the works....

well, i stil have some after market warranty thing so hope not too expensive.

he will find out next week because i need to leave the car there for a day or two to find out.

will update later on

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You have a prefacelift auto correct?

Do you know if your brake recall has been done? If it hasn't you should take your car to mitsi first of all to get them to do the recall work. They basically replace the entire braking system.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
You have a prefacelift auto correct?

Do you know if your brake recall has been done? If it hasn't you should take your car to mitsi first of all to get them to do the recall work. They basically replace the entire braking system.
well, yes. my car is prelife auto. I have no idea if the recall has been done but it is worth finding out. is there are any papers or documents about the recall? how do i approach them mits? do not think they will just do it like "that".

cheers

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I've got an idea Mitsi Australia have said they won't perform the recall work. I think there's a thread about it somewhere. Not sure how they'd stand legally though...

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
still trying to figure it out

thanks guys.. had no time to drop in to mt mechanic yet.. having three jobs make me a busy man. Anyway, have additional problem. i had a trip to Shoal heavens, near berry (about 130km drive from sydney) and i tested the brakes by pulling up the side brake. out of 10 times, once or twice, it gave a "cling~!" noise... i really should not drive the car.....

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
spare??

Hey guys~ and girls~
I have taken my car to the mechanic and he pulled it apart. i need a new set of bakes for my REAR. Aaark~:cool:. Id anyone is going to uprade or have a spare set (includng rotor and calliper.. Just calliper is fine too..) please let me know~

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i will have a set ready next week.. Front and Rears.. it is from a PFL Galant.. but that doesn't matter, they're all the same..

while you're at it, you might as well replace your brake hoses with ADR approved Stainless Steel Brake Lines.. which is something you can get from your local brake shop or get Paul's dad to make them for you..

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
eeerrr mitsi aus HAVE to do the recall work if it has not been done already!

its a bloody saftey issue! if they refuse to do it, id be taking it up with mitsi japan because that is absolutly crap!

G

Unregistered
No mitsu aus dont have to do anything they are a seperate company sort of. AND they didnt supply the car you got it secondhand and then imported it over here.

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
well no offence but if thats there attitude australia is backward! you mean to tell me that its compliance law that auto up windows have to be disabled, but its not law that manufactures have to carry out recalls on imports?!!?

in NZ car manufactures have to carry out recall work on imports, no matter how the car got here!!

hence why us at mazda are currently doing the front spring recall on all imported demios. and the ford boys do the mammoth list of ford recalls if its an import

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
i will have a set ready next week.. Front and Rears.. it is from a Series 1 Galant.. but that doesn't matter, they're all the same..
while you're at it, you might as well replace your brake hoses with ADR approved Stainless Steel Brake Lines.. which is something you can get from your local brake shop or get Paul's dad to make them for you..

hey chris, do you mean you can sell them to me?:confused: if so, how much do you want for them? for rear?

G

Unregistered
well no offence but if thats there attitude australia is backward! you mean to tell me that its compliance law that auto up windows have to be disabled, but its not law that manufactures have to carry out recalls on imports?!!?

in NZ car manufactures have to carry out recall work on imports, no matter how the car got here!!

hence why us at mazda are currently doing the front spring recall on all imported demios. and the ford boys do the mammoth list of ford recalls if its an import

Interesting but arent all cars imports in NZ. The laws here in aus are in place because the fat cats in power are in some aussie car makers back pocket.

Oh and I meant Personal Import not general import because all non aussie made cars are classed ad imports of one kind or another.

Top Bottom