Faulty "new" O2 sensor

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, well after getting the sh*ts completely with my crap fuel economy I decided to get everything checked and lo and behold, my Repco o2 sensor, all of 6 weeks old, was not working. o2 levels were through the roof which was causing the rich fuel mixture and poor economy. Just interested to know if anyone else who fitted these units from Repco, have had the same sort of problems??

Now have a Bosch unit, I found the part number in the Oxygen Sensor thread and the levels are where they are meant to be.

Gary

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I got one of the Repco $29 deals. When i fitted it my economy seemed to go down. Haven't tested it for impedence but it was 8 months ago since it was fitted. When i took it out of the box it looked like it had been used and the sticker seal was broken.

This tank im up to 350kms and have over a 1/4 left so can't really complain.

G

Unregistered
I changed a whole heap of stuff at around the same time and my economy doubled to become similar to Scott's figures above. So unfortunately I can't comment on the new O2 sensor yet, but I have just purchased EvoScan so will be sure to look into it.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Gary,

I have fitted one, my fuel economy improved by about 50ks per tank. My fuel warning light comes on at between 480 to 540k's and takes 52litres to fill at that point.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
This tank im up to 350kms and have over a 1/4 left so can't really complain.

I have just over 1/4 of a tank left and have 174k's:angry: and I drive like a granny

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
The guages in VR4's are notoriously inaccurate, for example I get more than 220k's from when I'm at 1/4 tank mark to when the light comes on and theres still roughly 8 litres left, probably 5litres usable. I get about 200k's from full to about 3/4, but from 3/4 to the 1/4 marks I get about 150k's when I'm on a trip.

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
The guages in VR4's are notoriously inaccurate, for example I get more than 220k's from when I'm at 1/4 tank mark to when the light comes on and theres still roughly 8 litres left, probably 5litres usable. I get about 200k's from full to about 3/4, but from 3/4 to the 1/4 marks I get about 150k's when I'm on a trip.

im not sure it's a vr4 thing, every single car ive owned... the fuel gauge sits on full for 100km then drops fast and sits on empty for about 100km

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Fitted the repco O2 sensor; didn't notice too much difference; Car just felt smoother. Still only get 320km/tank at the very most... driving like a granny.

If only i could get 400 :( In saying that.. I don't go below 1/4 as I'm always afraid of running out or doing damage to the fuel pump.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Fitted the repco O2 sensor; didn't notice too much difference; Car just felt smoother. Still only get 320km/tank at the very most... driving like a granny.

If only i could get 400 :( In saying that.. I don't go below 1/4 as I'm always afraid of running out or doing damage to the fuel pump.

What makes you think you will do damage to the fuel pump Brett? The misconception is that, if you go down to near empty, the fuel pump will pick up sludge or crap and the like. The thing is, if there is shit like that already in the fuel, don't you think that if you let the car sit for a day it would all settle at the bottom of the tank anywho? I dont fill my car up until the fuel light has been glowing for ages. Usually it still only takes between 45-50ltr to fill back up, meaning there is still like 10litres to go.

When you do get 320 out of the tank, how many litres does it take to fill all the way up again?

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I will take note for you next time I'm at the pump :) appreciate the info. I just hate the way the gauge is soooo inacurate.

What makes you think you will do damage to the fuel pump Brett? The misconception is that, if you go down to near empty, the fuel pump will pick up sludge or crap and the like. The thing is, if there is shit like that already in the fuel, don't you think that if you let the car sit for a day it would all settle at the bottom of the tank anywho? I dont fill my car up until the fuel light has been glowing for ages. Usually it still only takes between 45-50ltr to fill back up, meaning there is still like 10litres to go.

When you do get 320 out of the tank, how many litres does it take to fill all the way up again?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Arrrgh I hate that myth - you're forgetting one (ok, several) very important things if you think you'll damage your pump or injectors running your tank dry - filters. There are three fuel filters in a VR4 which stop the pump picking up contaminants and then stop it transferring anything through to the injectors. Besides which fuel is extremely clean - you'd have to try hard to get something into your tank that shouldn't be there.

In fact, the only bad / dangerous thing about running your tank dry is having to walk to the servo while your car's sitting on the side of the highway - probably more damaging to your ego than anything ;)

As we've covered quite extensively, the VR4 tank is good for 60L (a couple more if you fill right to the brim of the filler pipe). That's around 10L once the needle hits the empty mark! If I filled up every time I got to the ¼ mark I'd be at a servo two or three times a week :banghead:

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
The whole "1/4 tank" thing irritates me as well. The easiest way to measure this accurately is:

1) fill to "click" sound from the pump.
2) Drive
3) Decide it's time to refuel
4) Look at how many km's you've done and then record how much fuel you filled to the first "click" sound from the pump.

5) Do the math. (kilometres) / (litres filled) = result :D

For example, tonight I did 356km and filled 48.7 litres at the pump = 7.31km/L

Or you can do the other calculation... and it comes to 13.68L per 100km travelled. I ignore the guage *heh*

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
I replaced my O2 sensor with the repco one and found no difference. My fuel consumption wasn't bad, but wasn't as good as a lot of guys were claiming. I haven't tested it tho. I will probably get it tested when it gets serviced next.

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
I have replaced the 02 sensor and gone from 250 a tank to around 350 a tank.
So I went from really shit to just shit,

but with 2 turbos and 6 cyclinders I never expect to get to anything awesome.
People on here who are getting over 450K from each tank are just lucky to get freak cars I reckon.
I gave up caring a long time ago cause it pervades your every thought!

wha - evaaaaaaaa LOL

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Gary,

I have fitted one, my fuel economy improved by about 50ks per tank. My fuel warning light comes on at between 480 to 540k's and takes 52litres to fill at that point.

You *hit me kat (LOL), I cant get any where near that. Must admit though since new o2 sensor fitted I am up to 275k's with just under 1/4 tank left. With a bit of luck, the problem may be fixed.

Gary

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Gary, how many litres does it take from when your guage shows 1/4 tank..... thats crazy, 275k's..... you need to give it an italian tune-up

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
I normally fill up when I am 1-2 notches off the empty mark and it takes between 40-48lt. I know the tank is 60lt but I am to cautious in letting it go for to long, especially when the light comes on.

Gary

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Have you checked for diagnostic codes yet Gary, something has gotta be a miss.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
LoL, gee Gary, If you've changed your O2 sensor and your still getting crap economy that has to be your next step, at the rate your going through fuel its time to identify the problem. Cant hurt.

Top Bottom