Feels like missing teeth, front grinding and grabbing badly only on some take-offs in first gear.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Hey everyone,

Had the strangest problem recently - The clutch for one feels lighter and like poo when i press and release the pedal, the car feels like it 'jumps' a bit as you feather it out taking off (works best on grass for some reason) however drives perfectly for every other gear.

A few symptoms im hoping someone can help me with.
1. Can hear a ticking sound coming from down the passenger side front (where the transmission would be) which reminds me of the sound of a hot car cooling off, however the ticking is faster and almost sounds like pieces of metal flinging around in fluid. To go with this is a bit of a rough metal on metal sound, although very quiet and difficult to hear.
2. As you take off, taking the clutch out, only SOMETIMES it feels as though it grabs for a split second well before the engagement point of the clutch.. actually a good example is if you rode the SHIT out of the clutch with high revs - thats how this feels however without reving much. Almost as if you can picture a big cog with teeth, and it has this one particular tooth you can 'feel' but only once or twice as you take it out.
3. As it does this slip/grind/weird thing, you can hear a really loud crunching coming from the transmission area, however this ONLY happens as you take off and if you happen to make it do what its doing.

All of this happens FAR easier on grass - the more load there is on take off the bigger the effect.

Every other gear works fine. I cant replicate the problem in reverse, not even on the grass. At first i didnt think it happened in 2nd either, and im still not sure, because if it does its not very easy to notice, the judders are FAR less pronounced - to an extent im not sure if this its doing it or if thats just the usual feel of my clutch.

I took it to my mechanic who, when i showed him a VERY good example of the issue (after about 10 take-offs it finally did a BIG one) he said in all his years he had never heard something quite like it, and that it's definately mechanical and would have to pull things apart (gearbox/diff) to know exactly what it could be. He said it could be a pinion or something.

I was really hoping it might be broken engine mounts / my rooted control arm bushes, as i have the parts to replace these..

I was hoping the enlightened and very bright community here might have a bit of an idea on what the HELL is going on with my shitbox :D Could it be a clutch issue if it feels only first gear is doing it? Transfer case? Front diff? Surely it couldnt be the gearbox as supposedly they're bulletproof?

Oh one last point, im not sure when exactly this started happening, probably about a week now. Worst thing i've done is in the wet on the grass giving a bit of throttle for a powerslide in my back yard - hardly a big one though, and i was far from sideways. Could i have broken something then? It's gradually getting worse.

Save me - im stuck driving a 92 Subaru Brumby till it's back on the road...... It's aweful. Too scared to drive the VR4 in fear it will break any day now.

Edit - if you can help me with a better worded title, i'd be very grateful

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
In my non-mechanical opinion, it sounds like the gearbox... possibly first gear is stuffed? I have a ticking sound at idle in neutral which I'm told is the thrust bearing or something similar, but I don't have any of the other symptoms you describe :(

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
change all those parts you hav; engine mounts/arms etc,

check gearbox oil for metallic parts

start with the easier stuff, if it clutch related or gear related, you could hav stuffed one or both of them

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Easy, drop the box and have a look. Yes it's a pain and it'll cost money but hey you want to find out what it is right and fix?

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
sounds like the gearbox or cluch.
As Paul said drop the gerabox fluid and look for metal parts easy and not so expensive, good place to start anyway

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Thanks - changed engine mounts yesterday (except the front one which was completely stuffed - far worse than the others - just need to get the part first)
I was planning to check the oil for metal - If there is no metal in the oil at all, is it safe to assume the gearbox is fine and it may be the clutch?

Also - I did notice while under the car doing the mounts, there seems to be a bit of oil which looked to be leaking from the gearbox at the seal underneath, near where i jack everything up while replacing engine mounts.. I did ask my workshop to replace the gearbox's oil however this was not done. It seems quite thin so im hoping/thinking maybe it was from my spillages the times ive changed the oil in the past haha.

i've been told $700 will have the gearbox out and in, or $700 to take it out and pull it apart. I'll keep everyone updated.

The thing that is making me hope/think it is the clutch is the fact it seems to drive fine. The only part making me think gearbox is that first gear seems noisy, especially taking my foot off the pedal and letting it decelerate in first

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would drop the oil and see if there are any metallic parts in it. If there isn't anything in there then I doubt it could be the box. It's the weekend now, any updates?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Took the car to a mates workshop and he stuffed me around. Didnt get shit all done other than finishing the last engine mount. He is going to check it all out during the week free of charge.

On a side note, HOLYSHIT i forgot how fast my car was after driving a subaru brumby around for 2 weeks LOL felt like it weighed 100kg and had a million horsepower :p

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Yeah christian - i was going to but he offered a hoist, i figured that'd make it easier for me. Didnt really happen.

Anyway im starting to think it might be the clutch - see below. (watch in HD for better SQ)

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Hmm, that sounds similar to my noise but yours is much chunkier :/ Mine's more of a "tick tick tick"

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Car goes in on monday.

Current thought is that it is the input shaft bearing.

Could someone change the title to something more appropriate? ie. Manual gearbox issues or something along those lines :p

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
I'll be interested to know how much that is to fix, as I think mine's on it's way out as well :)

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
UPDATE! Gearbox came apart, i'll have to ask again what it was called but some metal ball thing had come from something which had collapsed, and luckily all of my teeth were still in perfect condition - the magnet on the bottom of the gearbox metal ball. He said i should go buy a lotto ticket with that luck.

I've purchased the evo 6 full seals & bearings kit from Meek (same parts apparently) for $400, a rear main seal for $50, and a new clutch for $792 (as mine was rooted as well)

Im expecting labour to be around the $1000 mark, although ill know for sure on monday/tuesday.

I was saving expecting $1000-$1500 in repairs. Going to be stretching the budget to fork out $2250 ($1250 of that already paid - got the parts straight away)

edit - again, if someone can change the title to 'failed manual gearbox' or something along those lines please :p I feel stupid suggesting broken teeth as clearly i'd have known if that were the case.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
get some pics man!

least it isnt too bad...its still bad though

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Yeah I'm very lucky to have got the parts today. I'll try get pics as I have Monday off- might be able to if I'm back from the gold coast before he starts putting it all back together.

Lol by today I mean yesterday. Been out and haven't slept yet haha

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Normally that bearing makes itself noticed by rumbling a bit when the clutch is in but the car is in neutral, not normally when driving.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Erp, that bearing is what my problem is I think. It rattles quite loudly in neutral and I'm hearing a metallic clunk when changing gears, usually 2nd to 3rd and vice versa.

I don't like the look of those prices *cries* :( Glad you got it sorted out though mate!

Top Bottom