missing heavy under light load.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Factory is 1.05mm but they're assuming perfect coil packs and 10psi max. Go 0.8mm

G

Unregistered
The Japanese workshop manual specifies 0.7 ~ 0.8mm as the standard gap, and 1.1mm as the maximum gap.

The factory specified spark plugs are NGK PFR6J or Nippon Denso PK20PR−P8, both being platinum.

spark-plug-specs.JPG

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
98 manual, leather sunroof leggy daily. 700hp 94 RZ Supra weekender
yeah thought the gap was a bit high. so put in the plugs found the two of the bolts, one long and one short, on the inlet plenum were shagged one was glued into the head the other was just holding on, so i cleaned them up and tried to re cut the thread but i have a shit die and cutter and its imperial thread on my set. managed to get it good enough to hold but they will need to be fixed soon, started the car up still took two goes to start it, but the first go it wanted to go. then started first go on the second attemp, i think i may not be priming properly or something. it still has a slight miss evey now and again at idle and is very rich at idle i think the tps sensor is gone, i think thats what it called going to get my mulitmeter back tomorrow and check the output of the alt. the ice leads rocked up so i installed them. i let the car warm up for 15min and took it for a gental drive for about 10 min then gave her a bit of a kick in the guts, seemed to be alot smoother and come on boost harder, but will have to take it for a longer drive to see if the problem comes back. any idea why it is running so rich, the guy i brought it off said half the tune was done but the coil packs started breaking down above 9psi so they had to stop, the rest of the tune still needs to be done by steve, and because of that it is running rich does this sound rite???

Cheers guys.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Way too many issues to diagnose over the internet unfortunately. Need to get yourself a cheap data logging cable and evoscan.
When you say it's running rich, do you have a wideband? Or just seeing visible smoke under load?
Struggling to start and the other problems you're having could be a myriad of things.
Fuel pump/FPR/injectors/vac leaks/plugs/leads/coil packs etc. Sounds like a fair bit of work to be done prior to finishing off the tune :(

I'd do plugs, leads and coil packs or coil on plug, check TPS/MAF/everything in evoscan and or multimeter and ensure in spec. Boost leak test and potentially even check your fuel pump to see if it's been changed at one point as they can fail to keep pressure in the line if the outlet isn't sealed in the cradle properly. I'm really just clutching at straws here, could be anything man.

Checked for fault codes yet? How to's in my signature below.

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
cheers buddy yeah changed plugs leads and coil packs, going to keep checking things. dont have evoscan or a data logging cable. Chia from powertune, he built my supras engine, will be able to check the car over completly for me going to check the fuel pump as it has been replace with an after market walbro. checked all the lines i could see today for vacume leaks all seem to be good. yeah blows a bit of black smoke when you give it a boot full also you can see it when it is idleing for a while. thinking of getting a boost gauge to check it all and see how it goes when driving etc. will run the codes and see what comes up.

Cheers for all the help. i do appreciate it all. will keep you all posted.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
yeah blows a bit of black smoke when you give it a boot full also you can see it when it is idleing for a while.

Black smoke on boost from what i know is the car dumping a shiteload of fuel to richen up the AFR mix so it doesnt lean out.
Common thing to see on JDM delivered turbos (of any make/model)

and smoke on idle i get aswell and im told this is most likely the Valve stem seals.

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
and smoke on idle i get aswell and im told this is most likely the Valve stem seals.[/QUOTE]

I had valve seals gone on my 2jz and it was white/grey smoke as it is burning oil

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
run the codes fml: eng code was 14 throttle position sensor. and abs codes 11:wheel speed sensor fr, 12 fl and 14 rl, ayc fault code 41 tps fault. not to worried about the wheel speed errors first but will need a new throttle posotion sensor and tps sensor if anyone knows where i can get one, this may be the reason why the car is a bit jerky under smooth gear changes and low speeds. if any one has any of these for sale or know where i can get them from.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Brett, is your car a pearl white FL leggy?

TPS usually mean a break / loose of contact.. so just do the usual ecu reset.. and go from there..

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
Brett, is your car a pearl white FL leggy?

TPS usually mean a break / loose of contact.. so just do the usual ecu reset.. and go from there..

Hey mate yeah it is brought it of Will on Hope island, yeah I checked the connection and diconnected the ecu for half an hour to reset it. still got the code. put to me the engine code and tps is the same thing yeah

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
Well changed the plugs and and leads and took her for a long drive today had to pull over 4 times to turn the car off. same issue as before once it has been drivin for half an hour or more it will not rev past 2500 under load and misses and carries on and in the end starts to lose power. I really need help with this cheers guys.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Well changed the plugs and and leads and took her for a long drive today had to pull over 4 times to turn the car off. same issue as before once it has been drivin for half an hour or more it will not rev past 2500 under load and misses and carries on and in the end starts to lose power. I really need help with this cheers guys.

bring it tomorrow to my parent's place..

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
where is that buddy
pm if you like

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I'd say the packs have had it.... Christian will sort it :)

Oh and I am pretty sure the o2 sensor was stuffed and therefore running rich at idle.... It's not tuned to be THAT rich and at light load it's all closed loop so should be stoich....

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
yeah tried getting a new O2 sensor and it had to come from japan and was crazy expensive got in contack with Bill in NZ and he was better in price but still had to get one from Japan.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
I replaced my 02 sensor with one I got off ebay that was for a magna, cant remember what model but it was an exact replacement for the original and was Australian made.

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.
Just checked my ebay history and they are still available Item no 120839581601, $59.00+$9.95 postage

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
did have to car booked in for a heap of pannel repair and respray but had to put that on hold for this lol.

brettvr4amos

Crunching Gears
First Name
Brett Amos
Drive
Just checked my ebay history and they are still available Item no 120839581601, $59.00+$9.95 postage

Will these just plug straight in, or will it require some modifications to fit.

Top Bottom