FL Driving Lights

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Hey guys

Just wondering what the outter lights do. I thought they might illuminte corners but they don't come on. Are these disconnected for compliance?

Cheers

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Yep - spot on, they are disabled during compliance.

Except for Rasi, who had his inner ones disabled and the side ones still go lol

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
They should light up when you have your lights on and use the indicator making it easier to see around corners. The problem with them here is that we are only allowed to have a maximum of six (I think?) forward facing lights on any vehicle thus, they get the snip.

Shame really...

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
if its just a snip, its just a crimp to fix? :)
Thats what I did with my 33 tail lights to get all 4 functioning fully again

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Most compliance shops are actually only taking the globes out, they're not even disconnecting anything. JFYI they take the same globes as your front indicators. Just don't replace them until AFTER your car is licensed! ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Steve is right, thats what they are supposed to do normally.

Easy to wire in with the normal fogs though

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
The pricks cut my ones at the plug making them totally useless unless I buy new plugs from NZ or Jap.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Steve did they leave you with the plug? Do you just have the wires cut, but all the components still there?

If they just cut the wires, what you could do is disconnect the plug from the globe housing and solder the wires directly to the terminals at the back (ensuring you use some heat shrink or similar to protect against moisture, corrosion and shorting, of course). I'll take some photos of what I mean tonight if it will help you?

G

Unregistered
Just to clarify, the way the lights are supposed to work is that they are off normally and come on to light up the road when you're turning?

G

Unregistered
yes thats correct. only when you turn you indicator on. thats what mine do.
For compliance my globes were just removed so just had to put them back in easy.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Steve did they leave you with the plug? Do you just have the wires cut, but all the components still there?

The wires were cut at the plug, leaving nothing protruding from the plugs to attach onto. I haven't had a chance to take them off the car for a closer look but presumed the plugs were a sealed unit. I hope I'm wrong and that they can be repaired!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Steve you've got two or three options here. You could:
  • Dismantle the plug to get the pins slots out, remove the cut wires and re-join the cables, then insert the pins slots back into the plug (best overall, but most tedious)
  • Try to find / buy replacement plugs (possibly most difficult and time consuming due to supply)
  • Remove the loom plug and solder your wires directly to the back of the lamp plug (quickest and easiest - see below)

I take it this is where your cables were cut? Just disconnect this plug from the one shown after to perform either the first or last repair options.
FogLightPlug01.jpg

This shows the back of the lamp-housing plug that holds the globe. Connect directly to these pins for instant success.
FogLightPlug02.jpg

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
so is this only on the facelift ones? i dont see where it is :D this 'extra light'

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
on the facelift bumper there are a pair of two lights in the corners. The outer ones have been disabled by the silly compliance stations over there complying with silly rules :)

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
lol, I only just realised last night that mine hadn't been disconnected in any way at all as I saw the reflection in a bumper in front of me, it went through rego too, lmao
Gunna get some brighter globes and wire them into the driving lights, FTW!!!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
the only time they activate is when the lights are on, and you use the indicator, so there is a small chance anyone will actually notice them.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
ahhhh ok so its the 2nd fog light you're talking about. thought you meant like next to the indicator lol. Oh well - pre-facelift still looks cooler :(

G

Unregistered
Any idea what type of globes they are? or where to get them from?

One of my regular fog lights (i.e. not the additional indicator ones) needs replacing.

Top Bottom