Fuel gauge recalibrator project

Tony_T

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tony
Drive
Legnum VR-4 1997
OK.
I do hope that anything I write here is seen to be constructive and is not intended to offend anyone in any way. I'm not trying to tell anyone anything they already know, merely to throw in my probably 55+ years of gained knowledge of things electronic in order to help if possible.
(When I first started everything was done with 'valves' or as the Americans called them 'tubes' although they pronounced it 'toobs' for some reason best known to them and transistors were the hot new thing coming!)

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Just little update. Based on the circuit I did in #194 , I added an add-on feature which I want to log the fuel consumption/trip meter, whatever you like to call it, so at the end I can log how much fuel is consumed from full tank together with the resistance/ADC voltage measured from the fuel sender. FYI, this fuel consumption thing is also called MPGuino which has been used for many years and can be searched easily by google. Again, it's just a prototype, so hopefully it works.

v1.1_3D.jpg

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Just little update. Based on the circuit I did in #194 , I added an add-on feature which I want to log the fuel consumption/trip meter, whatever you like to call it, so at the end I can log how much fuel is consumed from full tank together with the resistance/ADC voltage measured from the fuel sender. FYI, this fuel consumption thing is also called MPGuino which has been used for many years and can be searched easily by google. Again, it's just a prototype, so hopefully it works.

Hi mate, UTCOMP does this and you could mirror their way which I recommend. Tap the negative wire of injector #1 and include the ability in your code to calibrate how much fuel is delivered per injector pulse and then multiply that by 6 (for all cylinders). I had considered this as an addition to the fuel gauge recalibrator but its value as an addition to the gauge was limited. For MPG calculation though, it can't be beaten and is extremely accurate. It's how manufacturers calculate fuel consumption too.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Hi mate, UTCOMP does this and you could mirror their way which I recommend. Tap the negative wire of injector #1 and include the ability in your code to calibrate how much fuel is delivered per injector pulse and then multiply that by 6 (for all cylinders). I had considered this as an addition to the fuel gauge recalibrator but its value as an addition to the gauge was limited. For MPG calculation though, it can't be beaten and is extremely accurate. It's how manufacturers calculate fuel consumption too.
I have a quick look at the UTCOMP manual, and MPG is calculated by the injector signal and vehicle speed with calibration in prior. Athough there is no formula how to do the calculation, but from the open source MPGuino also using injector signal and the VSS, and also there are many information how to do calcuation and formulas, so I think I can take reference from that. But, currently, I am playing the MUT2 OBD thing and another RPM shift light project, so I suspend this fuel gauge project at the moment, haha.

MrMann

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Johno
Drive
1997 Legnum - Non Turbo 6A13 - just hit 200,000KMS! 15,000 since ownership
1998 Super VR4 - Living on jackstands... for now.

Keep working on it I'm interested!

wintertidenz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
98 Galant VR4
Thread from the dead, but does anyone have the base of the Arduino code, or can point me in the right direction? I'd like to start poking around with this while my car is off the road.
Thanks!

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Thread from the dead, but does anyone have the base of the Arduino code, or can point me in the right direction? I'd like to start poking around with this while my car is off the road.
Thanks!
Hi mate, I have this setup as a GitHub project now. Sorry for the delayed response.

Top Bottom