FWD or RWD

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
How hard would it be to convert a VR-4 to front or rear wheel drive? What would you need to do to the car? Just wondering...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
for rear wheel drive, remove the front drive shafts and weld up the trasnfer case.

fwd, no idea, but why would you?

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
for rear wheel drive, remove the front drive shafts and weld up the trasnfer case.

Well FWD might have a few advantages over RWD I guess. Like it might be better in snow.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
4wd is better than either in the snow - and we get that for free

Well yes, but I was meaning that were you to choose between FWD and RWD, FWD would be the superior choice if you were doing a lot of snow driving for skiing and such.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
yeah guess i was thinkin more of us guys here in oz...although yours is a type s yeah? AYC would do a better job than FWD would i'm thinking.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
yeah guess i was thinkin more of us guys here in oz...although yours is a type s yeah? AYC would do a better job than FWD would i'm thinking.

Not sure if AYC makes much difference - I know it isn't just for cornering so it might I suppose. If only I had a pre-facelift with TCL, but no. :( Anyway, I'm not going to be making my VR-4 front or rear drive anytime soon - was just thinking what if I ever did.

G

Unregistered

i dont think it would work like that...
from what i understand, the transfer case is basically a viscous coupling, so if you were to remove the front shafts and weld it up, you're basically going to have the rear shaft over-running the front shaft(s), causing it to send power to the front in an attempt to stop what it thinks, is the rear wheels slipping as they are rotating faster than the front shafts, which arent..

so all in all, you'll have fark all power going to the wheels, and wont move too far. :)

it's nothing like the ATESSA system, which uses wheel speed sensors, and G sensors hooked up to a control unit, which controls a pump to activate the clutches in the transfer case, and send power to the front diff via the the shaft... remove that shaft, and nothing happens, because they are mechanical couplings.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I think its such a dumb idea I can't believe you're even wasting brain power thinking about it...

G

Unregistered
RWD would have more power due to less drivetrain components, and better fuel economy too.

not to mention a drifting legnum would be cool, and the 6A13 has the low down torque perfect for drift.

just because you didnt think of it, or aren't keen on the idea, doesn't make it "dumb"

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Surely AWD would be better in the snow than either RWD or FWD. Why would you want to convert a 200+kW medium weighted car into FWD? You'll never get traction in the snow!

Just buy a EA series 8th gen instead of a VR4. You buy a VR4 for the turbocharging and the all wheel drive. Considering you're in NZ, the fwd variants are definitely around and cheap! The money you'd spend on making your VR4 fwd you could probably just get another car.

G

Unregistered
I admit I'm not the most technical guy around, but the idea of converting any AWD car to FWD does seem pretty dumb on the face of it.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I think mitchy's idea of a drifting Legnum would be fun to watch. Not that I'd do it to my own car!

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
it's just a matter of time before a legnum starts drifting, lolz, there's already a few rexies n evos drifting, lolz

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Mitchy, quite a few evo guys have done exactly that and made rwd evo's.Robotnik - I still don't see why you see the need for traction control in a VR-4.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Mitch you really need to start reading what people have said, and not what you THINK they have said. I said I think its a dumb idea. That's my opinion. In my opinion it's a waste of time, effort and money - if you want a FWD or RWD car there are plenty to choose from, I don't know why you'd do such a thing to a car that absolutely shines as AWD. IMO it's dumb. Does that make it dumb? Something isn't stupid just because someone on the internet says it is. Just like everyone else, I'm just another idiot on the internet with an opinion. And you know what they say about opinions... ;)

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Was thinking in terms of fuel economy savings and greater efficiency. Anyway a FWD car wouldn't be as good as a RWD one, but if for example going FWD was easier to do, and maybe even reversible then I don't believe it would result in too bad a car. I've read about those so-called VR-2 cars - regular FWD galants with 6A13TT transplants and by all accounts they sound OK.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
They sound ok until you drive one. My old TR magna with the DOHC 24v 6G72 n/a was about as far as you'd want to go with a larger car in an FWD setup. They weigh about the same as our VR4s, possibly a bit less.

I think the fuel economy savings would be negated by the cost of the conversion in the first place.

Top Bottom