help a pomme with his fitment

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Well in the end it's up to you. But personally I would go the larger profile to keep the rolling diametre close to stock. And I also don't like the look of licorice straps.

As I posted before though the smaller profile keeps it closer to stock, 215/45 is a much larger size (basically the same height as a 245/40 that you would see on the Evo X).

Just go 225/40R18 dude, sweet tyre size and when talking about an 8" rim on a VR-4 stretch will be minimal whatever you put on.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Lol I thought we all understood this. He will need a 215 otherwise the tyre will be too square and hit the guards.

For example using my calculator..

You can see the 215 will give more stretch and guard clearance, not much, but ever mm counts. Yes the 215 is slightly larged than the stock rolling diametre of a 225/50/16, but with the stretch, it will pretty much be spot on. A 215/40 with the same stretch will be too out of wack.

tyre.jpg

pugme

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Darren
Drive
COTY
tyres are causing a good old debate here!! tomorrow ill get soem pics up of other stuff iv been up to with the leggy.

right there is a new issue! unless im gonna setle for kumho or nankang tyres i cant get 215/45's for less than 100 pound a corner, where as 215/40's are 75 pound, for temp wheels i cant justify that extra 100!! so im sorry to say im gonna settle for the 215/40's, surprisingly 225/40 come in the cheapest at 70! but from the above diagram a 215 looks the better option these prices are all for falkern fk452's

any chance u could do a diagram showing a 215 40 comparison please steve, the car calculator thing doesnt seem to want to load on my computer

you read my mind buddy :)

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
I would have thought that tiny amount of "stretch" would be oh so negligable?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i really think a 215 will be stoopid.

the idea of stretching tyres is to fit a normal tyre over a wide rim.

NOT fitting a skinny tyre over a normal rim.

i can understand the predicament about using the old wheels, but at the end of the day they are an 8" which is basically the best wheel for a track setup on a vr4, if they were 9's it'd be a different story.

i still vote 225 with the right offset, Darren if you want super stretched tyres, sell them rotas for another set which are 9" or 9.5".

heck, go 235 semi slicks for the track look.

seriously, for the cost of the adaptors, couldnt you sell them rotas to a wrx owner and then buy some new rotas for a few more quid? do it once, do it right.

pugme

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Darren
Drive
COTY
id happily fit 225/40's but are you guys sure its ot gonna rub on the arches?

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
roll your rears nice and flat, and it will be fine but you will hav to recalc your offset/spacer thickness, as the other one is for the 215/45.

eh bugger it, just go the 215/45. this entire thing makes no sense.

8" wide wheels, conversion spacers, stretched tyres and by the sound of it, no rolled guards...

what suspension do you hav installed by the way? if you want epic fitment with the little wheels and 5 people and a massive audio install you're goin to need some flat ass guards and some stiff rear suspension.

pugme

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Darren
Drive
COTY
rofl, i like u guys :) its only for this year then ill buy proper wheels

the guards are/will be rolled, its on tein coilover suspension and polybushed with american energy kit.

i cant believe were having such a debate over 10mm of tread and 5% of tyre wall.. lol

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
Haha it's all about the finer details. We'll debate over like 2mm of offset somedays too haha

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
215/40/18 - Will look too small and the wheels will look sunken.

225/40/18 - Too square and will require more guard work than necessary.

215/45/18 - Slightly larger rolling diametre than stock.

Take your pick of the lesser evil lol.

pugme

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Darren
Drive
COTY
sweet, right no more discuscusion.

i know the facts, now u wait for pics.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
F*ck me we are a unique bunch of people!

pugme

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Darren
Drive
COTY
lets be honest tho, how many members with no disrespect to them as its a great club on cvr4 would have recommened me an et of 20? i get the feeling at the uk shows my car may stand out a little!!

Top Bottom