HELP!! Broken nipple on STD Boost Solenoid

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hey Guys,

I was installing my EBC today and I accidentally broke off one of the nipple from the STD Boost Solenoid. See pic below circled in red.

STDBoostSolenoidnipple.jpg

What I was trying to do was to loop a hose for the two nipples and that when it happened that I broke off accidentally.

Does this cause any problems even if I have a EBC installed? Or do I need to replace my std boost solenoid?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Hey bro....

You need to take off that hose and seal it anyways so it doesn't matter :)

I used a small screw and a zip tie, and that worked fine to seal it for me

Just let the EBC control the boost

*EDIT - If you have any dramas you can just give us a bell on the mobile (i'll be at the pub, its beer time...) just get my number off Dimi or Chris or Tom

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Sweet! Thanks man! I'll see if I can finish it up without braking and any further trouble.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Heh heh.... I want video'd results ;)
I will, tomorrow while on the road and on the dyno.

All good now, running perfect. Set my low boost at 5.5psi for the missus then hi boost is at 13 or somewhere around there. I couldn't set it properly at it was pouring heavy rains on the hwy so I set the boost tomorrow at 13 or 14 psi while on the dyno.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Oops:eek:
Ok, so i was stuffing around and i also broke the nipple on the solenoid. Now i plugged up the hose that goes from the front turbo intake pipe to the solenoid but i DO NOT have a boost controller. Now the car starts fine but i am afraid of whats going to happen if i drive it. Any thoughts??

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Double oops. So it seems i have bypassed the solenoid all together. The hose that i blocked off goes from the intake pipe to the small nipple on the solenoid and i also blocked the hose that came off the larger nipple on the solenoid. Is this thing going to boost uncontrollably?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Ok, i took it for a very nervous drive and its fine:confused: even under full load ( not full throttle ) didn;t move past where it always sits 1/2 bar tops. No fluctuation probably just comes on quicker. But i also changed it from a pod to a standard airbox with a hks panel filter.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
As long as the hose with the red tipped end that connects to the intake is sealed between there and the wastegates you'll be right....

The spring tension on the wastegate REQUIRES that pressure on the line to open when its making boost (stopping it going past 7 pound). Its a mechanical safeguard so you don't break shit haha :)

EDIT - Which makes me wonder why we have a factory solenoid anyways :confused:

(BTW - Yes i know its so the computer knows how much boost the car is making so it can weave its magic and make it run rich as hell :p)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
As long as the hose with the red tipped end that connects to the intake is sealed between there and the wastegates you'll be right....

The spring tension on the wastegate REQUIRES that pressure on the line to open when its making boost (stopping it going past 7 pound). Its a mechanical safeguard so you don't break shit haha :)

Thanks Dawso. I was absolutely stressed:eek:
I am just so damned heavy handed:wanker:
I'll tell you though, and for anyone else reading, if you have a poo filter, do whatever you can to change it back to the stock airbox with a decent element. It has made the biggest difference to the way the car feels, soooo much smoother, Also not sure if its a placebo but the car even seems to go faster;)
Now i cant wait till i get the new plugs, leads and do the 100k service, tis going to be a totally new machine:bigsmile:

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
im glad the airboxed helped :D did you use the foam filter or the paper one?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
ok guys. it seems very scary to put ebc our selves. i got my dural stage ebc and boost gauge today~ well, can anyone give me a on site tutorial?? just say i am a on he level of "Mechanics 101". Dawso, what is your favourate beer by the way (big smile on my face)?

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Can someone tell how this supposed Factory Boost solenoid works if its not inline ?

I mean one line is prior to Turbo and one is post. sounds a bit strange to me. Seems more like some sort of pressure sensor for the ECU to adjust mixtures or something.

:confused:

Top Bottom