What have I broken, I Need Help!

G

Unregistered
my post seems to have gone missing..

have you checked to see if the bracket is broken or not? that's a good start.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
hm , not sure if i am having the same problem...maybe some one can help

today when i am driving, everything its ok but when i get close to home, the gear change seems so shaking all the time and then later i find i can only got into 2nd and reverse only
i lost 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th
cant anyone help?

My mate had the same sort of thing happen but he lost 1st 3rd 5th and reverse in his Sil80.... Basically needed to replace a couple of internal parts in the box. Gearsets were fine but he broke an internal selector or something along those lines.

Hope for you that its not that!

G

Unregistered
the gear linkage is a lot more elaborate on an east/west engine/gearbox, as opposed to north/south like the RWD cars. the shifter goes straight into the box, so if anything goes pearshaped, its pretty much inside the box.

the fwd style setup has linkages running from the bottom of the shifter to the box to change gears, so there is more likely to be a failure in that, than in the selectors in the box.

hopefully this is the case.

G

Unregistered
will try to check the selector cables during weekend ..flat out in work before christmas

this is really worry me..i can still drive but 2nd and reverse only

before it do that, the gearbox is perfect and changing gear smooth, i check the gb oil is still clear and not smelly

it just sudden happen when i get home, shift into P, turn off the car to check the oil, and then i start it again, i last most gears but 2nd and reverse, dont think i fxxked the gb, my car is stock and i drive it like a nanny everyday

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Auto is whole new kettle of fish... sounds like you car is in limp home mode of the auto which is a VERY bad thing and nothing to do with linkages.

First thing, ALWAYS check the fluid level with the box hot, car running, and in Neutral. If you check it with the engine stopped you will read approx 2L less as its not pumping around. I.e. if its on the full mark with the engine stopped, your trans has about 1.5-2L too little fluid.

IF you fluid level is still ok with the car running, get your car to an Auto Expert ASAP.

G

Unregistered
oil is fine , but i am jsut about to do oil change as it reach 5000km, got oil and ready to do it in the weekend

story is ..it was perfect, but after i got home and stop the car, start again and i lost the gears

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Hang on, why would you change your trans fluid after only 5,000kms? Your not checking the engine oil are you? seriously, get your trans fluid checked at the correct level with the car running!

The point of stopping the car then starting again and its now not shifting is purely coincidental I would say.

G

Unregistered
o by the way
any recommand in auto trans or workshop i can go?

G

Unregistered
o..i change it becoz i have the car from compliance workshop until now i did 5000km..dont know if i should change it but i just think a change will be good as i dont know what did they do to the trans before

sure i know what i am checking mate...lol

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
That makes sense that you are changing it if you haven't had the trans flushed yet - just from the way you worded your post calling it oil I thought you mean the engine oil. It is usually refered to as Transmission Fluid, not transmission oil thus the confusion ;)

G

Unregistered
ok...well
last night when i got home the fluid still good
but i just gone out and check again

it said hot and cold on the stick
before i start it , the fluid is at full cold
after i start it, it hardly had any fluid on the stick

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
That means your auto is VERY low on fluid. You need to get Diaqueen SPIII from any mitsubishi dealer and top up your trans. don't drive the car now! Hopefully you haven't caused any damage yet, but it may do if you keep driving it in limp home mode.

Take another car or get a lift to your local mitsubishi Dealer, get a 5L bottole of the above mentioned fluid and take it home.

To top up the trans, start the car and leave it running in Neutral, and add the fluid via the dipstick tube (you'll need a funnel). It will probably take somwhere between 1-2L, so add 500ml at a time (with the car running) and check as you go till it sits between the cold and hot marks. Stop the car, start again and take it for a short drive around the block (1-2min), check the level when you get back and top up again if required.

G

Unregistered
o..and its weild

when i start the car, put to D, and its already at 2nd, not 1st...does it mean anything?

G

Unregistered
ok..i will do it now
hopefully it will be back

by the way, how come the fluid getting low...i am sure i dont have leak form there..

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
It could be low because it had not been filled/maintained correctly by the owners in Japan, which would imply its been that way for a long time, and HOPEFULLY no permenant damage has been done. However the fact it is locking into 2nd is quite concerning, and if re-filling the fluid doesnt fix it, you could be up for a gearbox rebuild :(

G

Unregistered
fluid top up and fixed the problem..yea....

just feel bad luck as i am about to change the fluid on saturday

now i just top it up but will a full fluid change be a better option too?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I would definately change the fluid as because it's been low, its probably been getting quite hot. Also you don't konw how old the fluid is so good idea to change it. Be aware you need at least 10+L to do a full flush, its not as easy as dropping what's in the sump, you need to flush out all the old fluid out the valve bodies, torque converter etc.

G

Unregistered
how can i do that or who can do that?
know u are not in NSW so ..but what if u just do a fluid change? how many litres needed?
i also prefer a flush but i need to find out who can do it for me

any members here can tell me where to go?

i am honda person so i know only little about MITs, but i always love MITS

Top Bottom