Help. Car spluttered & died

G

Unregistered
Driving home last night my car suddenly lost power like it was running out of gas.
When i pressed the accelerator it just spluttered & continued to slow down.
When it came to a stop it stalled. It started again no worries but it would just rev to about 1500rpm then die again
Thoughts anyone??

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Pending that you actually have fuel in the car:
Fuel Filter clogged?
Fuel pump is shagged?
AFM dirty?
Plugs/leads shagged?
many options - a bit more history about how its been running prior to this etc may help

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
This sounds a bit like the issues Kev was having (VR4Rocket)..... You may need to ask him what he did to resolve the problems

G

Unregistered
second brad's diagnosis, i popped off an intercooler hose the other day and it just died and stalled

G

Unregistered
Car has been running sweet as. never missed a beat. All belts are there, no snappages. Car just started to lose power. It has 3/4 of a tank left so no issues there. It starts fine every time, just wont stay running. CAr starts, reached idle then rises slightly then dies.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
My old motorbike used to do this also when low on fuel or when it was warm and the choke was on, would idle fine then rev it and it'd die....

I tend to agree with Pete that it may be a fuelling issue.....

Another thing to try might be an ECU reset it case it is playing funnies?

G

Unregistered
disconnect your battery for ten minutes

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
How do i reset the ecu?

Disconnect the battery, turn the interior light on to drain any remaining power, leave it for a few seconds, connect the battery back up

It will run like a pig for a day or 2 till it remaps all the required data then it should be fine (if that is whats causing you're problem, fingers crossed)

G

Unregistered
i personally think its a intercooler pipe or vac hose, most likely a cooler pipe..
with leads it will splutter but not die just run like a pig and same with plugs..
if you can hear your fuel pump louder than normal then its that but i doubt it..
some cooler pipes may look tight but could be loose, check every clamp and join.. also check vac hoses

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
dont freak out with all these people saying all these scary things - just check that all of your rubber intake hoses are still all connected (from the turbos, to the intercooler, to the manifold)

I spent about 3 hours waiting around panicking when this happened to me, only to find the pipe had popped off. Exact same symptoms as you have described, i can almost guarantee thats what its going to be.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
it might be your ecu.. check and open it.. see if the caps are gone.. LOL..

and while at it.. check and open up the cylinder head too.. see if you're getting proper compression..

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
what fuel are you running, mine did this on numerous occasions and all it was is that it was running 91 octane, my car was obviously run constantly on top fuel over in japan and doesnt even run on 91 here in aus, once i had 95 in it its fine, 98 even better, it has never played up with the higher octane but every time i put 91 it drives for a bit eventually looses power and dies on the side of the road, turn it off then start again it goes another 50km's, do this till the next servo and put decent 95 plus octaine then doesnt play up again at all. have been running now for 20,000 km's no problem. if i find a fuel station without higher grade fuel i now keep an octain boster on hand that i can use if needed

G

Unregistered
Yeah check your BOV as well as this sounds like the car has a boost problem. If your car is loosing boost the ECU will be giving the engine too much fuel hence then starting the spluttering out. IMO but I have only had experience with holden astra turbo and a number of diesel turbos.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
im almost sure its gonna be a major boost leak :p trust me on that. even kevins was a boost leak in the end lol

G

Unregistered
Yes I had the same problems when the platsic pipe on the mainfold blew off and the one that goes down on the right side of the engine when i forgot to tighten the clip after fitting a bigger IC

Top Bottom