Hidden Goodies with your VR4s

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The UK Spec cars with heated seats had an ugly little panel that sat in the rear part of the cup holder that had the switches built into it.

The G stickers will be quite hard to search for, it won't let you search for G :)

G

Unregistered
mine had a turbo timer on the passenger seat...... unfortunately i haven't been able to figure out how to reconnect it :(

also when i was buy the car i was told that it had 17" avs rims but when it got here they turned out to be 18".... that was lovely :)
but my fave thing has to be the big orange triangle thing to use when you break down lol iv never owned one of them :)

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
i got a pair of tv antennas and stacker holder bracket at the back. that's all. i am so jealous that others got some good stuff.. including heat seater. its been freezing in sydney for last few days and almost got heamoroids:ROFLMAO:

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
The UK Spec cars with heated seats had an ugly little panel that sat in the rear part of the cup holder that had the switches built into it.
But what about the ones directly out of Japan? That might just mean the UK has different regulations requiring a specific switch, but in Japan they may be able to slave off the demister switch?

The G stickers will be quite hard to search for, it won't let you search for G :)
Try using quotation marks around your search criteria to search for a specific string, such as "g stickers" ;)

For those who don't know where to find it, you can find Mitsubishi Japan's recall work status page here. Just type your VIN into the box at the bottom and hit <ENTER>. You'll need to copy and paste the text on the resulting page into Google Translate or Babelfish to read it (you're only really interested in the text in the table). It will list the necessary recall work and should hopefully say 'Work already carried out'.

You may also find The Dog & Lemon Guide of interest.

mine had a turbo timer on the passenger seat...... unfortunately i haven't been able to figure out how to reconnect it :(
As Lee said, do NOT get your turbo timer reconnected. Turbo timers were developed to address an issue with older turbos 'coking up' - where they cook their oil into a dry paste which kills them, caused by their temperature substantially increasing after the car is switched off as they had heat soaking into them from the exhaust and engine block but inadequate airflow to cool them. However, all modern turbos are water cooled, so they never achieve the sorts of temperatures that cause coking. Using fully synthetic oils also helps to eliminate the problem (something that almost didn't exist in the 80's, except for Amsoil of course ;)).

Turbo timers are illegal in Australia as they leave the vehicle operating without the driver present. They also pose a security risk as it vastly simplifies theft of your vehicle.

including heat seater.
Not sure what one of those is, but it sure sounds interesting! ;) :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Only one model came from Japan with heated seats, the snowbird limited edition which was designed for the ski season :) Kieran knows more about them than me though.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Oh that's what that decal is for!

SnowBirdDecal.gif

Speaking of decals, Brad do you know what 'Self Levelling Suspension' is? There's a decal for it listed in ASA...

G

Unregistered
As Lee said, do NOT get your turbo timer reconnected. Turbo timers were developed to address an issue with older turbos 'coking up' - where they cook their oil into a dry paste which kills them, caused by their temperature substantially increasing after the car is switched off as they had heat soaking into them from the exhaust and engine block but inadequate airflow to cool them. However, all modern turbos are water cooled, so they never achieve the sorts of temperatures that cause coking. Using fully synthetic oils also helps to eliminate the problem (something that almost didn't exist in the 80's, except for Amsoil of course ;)).

Turbo timers are illegal in Australia as they leave the vehicle operating without the driver present. They also pose a security risk as it vastly simplifies theft of your vehicle.

coolant doesn't circulate when you switch the car off, so the turbo can still heat up. just don't drive like a dickhead for 5 mins before you arrive at your destination, and you wont have any issues..
even if you had a turbo timer, and wanted to thrash your car up to where ever you were going, what about your diff, gearbox, etc.. the oil in them will be hot, but wont have any way to cool down...

and turbo timers AREN'T illegal either, however leaving a running car un-attended is.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The UK V6's had self levelling suspension, first time I've heard of it for JDM spec cars though. That is about all I know!

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
The picture above of the switch that looks like a demister is that from a car with mmcs or not? As I thought the demister controls are all in the heater control panel on a non mmcs car. So if that is the case it may well be for the heater seats. My father in law has a Holden Astra convertible and that has heated seats too but they have a separate control for each seat and it is a dial with 3 settings for heat level. It is amazing what people find in their cars and I had actually wondered myself what the g stickers were. Now I know so later i'll put my VIN into the database and see what it says, something I'd been meaning to do for a while. Can't beleive how much info there is on here just takes a while to stumble over what you want. Time to seach the "g stickers" I think.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
the rear demister is yes, but the front demister was only on cold spec cars and was always on that extra switch

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Hidden goodies...literally

As I mentioned in my intro post, when I got my legnum home I was surprised to find a dead rat wrapped around and in the front rotor.
It took the removal of the wheel and the disc brakes to clean out all the parts of now thoroughly cooked rat!

MMMM BONUS (ironically it was my old car that I was convinced was powered by a couple of mice and a wheel)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Dimi I think you meant OMG WTF BBQ

The brakes would certainly get hot enough.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, bbq rat...

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I done a service on the white car on the w/e and found a very special hidden goodie!

I have a furry exhaust! I'm thinking of selling it to THIS GUY

:ROFLMAO:

I hit a roo on the way home from picking up the car and obviosly skinned him with the zorst lol..... No damage to the car thank god :eek:

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
YEAH I KNOW! its been 3 days since I removed it and whenever I turn the engine off, that is ALL you can smell!
WTF indeed

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Maybe you need to go to one of those detailing places and get the engine bay/ wheels steam cleaned or something.

G

Unregistered
coolant doesn't circulate when you switch the car off, so the turbo can still heat up. just don't drive like a dickhead for 5 mins before you arrive at your destination, and you wont have any issues..
even if you had a turbo timer, and wanted to thrash your car up to where ever you were going, what about your diff, gearbox, etc.. the oil in them will be hot, but wont have any way to cool down...

and turbo timers AREN'T illegal either, however leaving a running car un-attended is.

i can try not to drive like a dick head for 5 mins but i cant make any promises.
i keep getting home and turning my car off straight away and then smacking myself in the head :mad: i dont know about WA but they are ilegal for sure down here in SA :( few friends have been done for them :(

G

Unregistered
^^ hook the turbo timer upto the handbrake, so that whilst its idling if you release the handbrake it shuts the engine off. i had that in my previous car (wrx)...came in handy a few times lol.

trev, i cant view that recall site at work :( can i pm u my chassis number and you let me know what recall work has been done to my car?

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
Old thread.. but

I got a pair of the worst sunglasses ever made.

A radar detector - sits in my drawer at home because they are illegal here. If someone in WA wants it they can have it for the postage - *GONE*

One of those silly led light things for the interior.

A doubler for the ciggy lighter (so I presume he could have lights and radar detector going

A spair set of tyres and wheels. I suppose I should sell these as well.

What looks like a Cb or something aerial. In the boot. Connected to a cable but buggered if I can find where the other end is - maybe connected to one of the standard aerial lugs to the radio???

Top Bottom