High Compression Ratio + Turbo

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Is there enough meat in the bores to get a 6G73 piston in there? A 0.5mm oversize would be an 84mm piston and would give 2686cc if my maths is any good.

Or alternatively, what size piston do you engine guys think could be put it?

(I'm not expert, just running off numbers here)

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
You could but you would go to 84.5mm to hone and bore it for the clearances to be perfect
but really you need one of them pistons and compare or a engineers drawing of it so you can measure it to compare to the 6a pistons
but then how many of the shelf forged pistons variants could you get for that motor?
If there's not a whole lot of after market stuff is kind of pointless

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
Id say the compression height on 6G pistons would be different to that of 6A meaning the piston will hit the head or sit so far down the bore that you wont have bugger all compression.
and taking a bore out from 81 to 84.5 is a dick-shitload of a step up. I highly doubt that a bore will be thick enough to do this and have enough material left to support the cylinder pressures of a turbo.
to go that big you would have to enitrely bore the cylinders out and replace them with new, larger ductile iron liners. process called block sleeving.

sm_darton.jpg

You can sonic test blocks. this process uses an ultrasonic probe to measure the thickness of the bore walls so you can tell how big you can bore it safely. this process is used when boring blocks near the limit of what they can be done on stock castings as no two blocks are the same. they suffer whats called core shift during casting which means one block may have perfectly even thickness bores, where another may be way thicker on the front of the cylinder wall and thin on the back because the sand mould used during the casting process has shifted when the molten iron was poured in.

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Is the bore 81 or 84?im having a mind blank lol
yeah I sleeved my honda motor when I took it to a 2l but I put darton forged sleeves in it because of the hi comp etc

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
6a13 is 81mm. hence why I said 84mm 6G7x pistons probably wont work without spending mega bucks on sleeving it.
Yeah the darton Ductile Iron Sleeves are the good ones.

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Yeah they are pretty good not heaps expensive for the sleeves but then install costs a bit and depending on the sleeve thickness you can get overheating issues because of the water jacket around the bore being smaller
yeah that makes sense I thought it was 84 that's why I said go 84.5

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Cool. I thought there would be something simple like that limiting it - don't ask, don't know.

6G73 are 83.5mm, if wikipedia can be trusted...

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Yeah anything is possible a few Honda guys From the states were taking the 1.8l to 2.4l by re sleeving and using larger Bore and stroke :)

sideburns

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dave
Drive
Legnum s2 Vr4
Honda dc2 integra
Got the rest of my gaskets and rebuild parts today all genuine so hopefully it lasts when it's all done :)
20140928_124619.jpg

Top Bottom