How can I tune out the brightness of my tweeters?

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
And before anybody says anything, i've already tried f*cking with the crossover, the equalizer, even the crossover hardware that came with the splits.

I can't seem to tune out the "brightness" of the tweeters on my Boston Acoustics RC 620s. I understand that they are know to have bright tweeters, but i'd rather not have to rip them out and replace them with something else, which the only remaining option I can see.

My headunit is an Alpine CDA-9887, and amp running the splits is a Boston Acoustics GT-42.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Alex.

I used to previously run the Boston Pro and Rally series splits and like you, also found the metallic tweeters a little bright and "in your face" for my liking.

Some component crossovers usually have a -3 / +3db (or similar) switching point for the tweeter. Have you tried selecting the - value?

Next plan of attack is to play with the settings on the head unit, amp and equaliser.

If that gives you no joy, your next option is to move the tweeter further away from you. Having them mounted in the factory spot in the A pillar sails will exacerbate the brightness of the tweeter. Another option is to place them in the kick panels near the feet, the idea being to lengthen the sound path to your ears.

A good trick is to move the tweeter around using blue tack to temporarily secure it in place in different positions. Once you find a position with reduced trble brightness, then work on a permanent mounting in that position.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Just had a quick look on the specs of the RC620 and they do have an adjustable tweeter level on the crossover to tweak the tweeter's output. That would be your first, cheapest and best bet.

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Because of the not-so-great position I've put my Alpine Type-R tweeters in, even -6dB doesn't help much...

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Sounds like you don't have enough power going to the crossover. Had the same problem with the Type-X's before I installed a second amp for the sub and bridged each speaker!

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Just had a quick look on the specs of the RC620 and they do have an adjustable tweeter level on the crossover to tweak the tweeter's output. That would be your first, cheapest and best bet.

I've already adjusted the tweeter output on the crossovers, to no avail. I've fiddled with head unit settings for hours, with no success....

Joe Bellissimo said:
Where are they located?

My tweeters are located in the factory location, and unfortunately because I got them second hand, i dont have the mounting pods they came with, to shift them around.

I know these tweeters are matched to the driver/crossover but what about replacing the tweeters with a Jaycar set or something like that?

Thanks all for your help, is very insightful:)

5m3g_head

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Earle
Drive
MZ20, V35, JZA61 or VR4
Replacing the tweeters will only help if the new tweeters have a lower sensitivity that the old ones. Sensitivity is the db @ 1w/1m specification. Trouble is you arnt going to be able to find that spec for the tweeter you have and measuring it is a PITA.

Try the L-Pad, its only two resistors, get the 10w ones from jaycar, they are like $1.50ea

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I know I'm going to get shot down by audiophiles for this; but i actually cut a very thin piece of deadening foam in front of the tweeters, between the tweeter and the plastic cover (factory locations) to reduce the brightness of mine. Still sounds exceptionally clear; just took the harshness away when they are up loud.

20080501020139Display_-_Replacement_Foam_Sets.jpg

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
*Loads shotgun* ... lol!

An interesting, band aid solution but hey, if it works ...

Don't worry about what the audiophiles say. You're the one that has to listen to the set up every day.

If the foam layer works for you and you are happy with the sound, then you have found the solution!

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
*Loads shotgun* ... lol!

An interesting, band aid solution but hey, if it works ...

Don't worry about what the audiophiles say. You're the one that has to listen to the set up every day.

If the foam layer works for you and you are happy with the sound, then you have found the solution!

Haha; it goes against everything i would ever recommend; but it does work; I didn't want to spend money and didn't want to cut holes in the door cards to move the tweeters closer to the main driver, so I guess, yeah it works for me.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
You could try stretching some thin fabric(like lycra) over the tweeters... I used to have the same issue with my old Lanzar tweeters, but they were awesome on the DLS crossovers I had in the car afterwards. :)

Top Bottom