how does the BOV work on an auto?

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Probably a stupid question to those technically and mechanically minded members out there but I was thinking about BOV's and how I understand them and I realised I dont see how they will work on an auto.
The only time they really go off is when you accelerate in say 2nd gear and when you clutch it for third you get the flutter, p-toosh thingy, so with this in mind, how do they make noise in an auto, like do you need to take your foot off the gas at exactly the right moment to make them 'go off' so to speak?

Granted, I can hear my standard one make a little noise as I accelerate but its just not as satisfying.

I ask cause I was going to get a bigger BOV, but thought I should check that it will actually p-toosh?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
It will make a noise but only when you take your foot off the accelerator while under boost. If not under boost then you won't hear it.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It will make the noise when you lift off the throttle after building boost

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Mine makes a little bit of noise when your pushing it and the gears move up another notch, but I've had to turn my boost back down to stock after an "incident" the other day.

Oh well, no whooshing noises for me :)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Mine makes a little bit of noise when your pushing it and the gears move up another notch, but I've had to turn my boost back down to stock after an "incident" the other day.

Oh well, no whooshing noises for me :)

Hey Snick, its funny you say that about the "little bit of noise between gears" I asked the question about this (as mine also makes a little "sshhh") in the in the Auto thread i think and Dawso said that that sound could mean bad things? I am a little confused that there would be a sound coming from the bov as you don't lift off the throttle:confused:

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Slipping clutch packs.... Mine still does it so don't worry lol.... Basically if it didn't do it your car would just clunk into gear! :)

It takes vacuum to open your BOV. You won't get vacuum while your foot is on the accelerator as covered before :D

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Slipping clutch packs.... Mine still does it so don't worry lol.... Basically if it didn't do it your car would just clunk into gear! :)

It takes vacuum to open your BOV. You won't get vacuum while your foot is on the accelerator as covered before :D
Dam i thought that was my bov. Best just get a manual or convert mine to get loud whoooosh to put a smile on my face :ROFLMAO:

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Probably a stupid question to those technically and mechanically minded members out there but I was thinking about BOV's and how I understand them and I realised I dont see how they will work on an auto.
The only time they really go off is when you accelerate in say 2nd gear and when you clutch it for third you get the flutter, p-toosh thingy, so with this in mind, how do they make noise in an auto, like do you need to take your foot off the gas at exactly the right moment to make them 'go off' so to speak?

Granted, I can hear my standard one make a little noise as I accelerate but its just not as satisfying.

I ask cause I was going to get a bigger BOV, but thought I should check that it will actually p-toosh?

i think whats happened is you've missed the concept of how the bov works - ill try put a quick simple explaination... when on boost, your pipes will be full of pressure.. as soon as you take your foot off the accellerator pedal, the air is no longer able to go into the engine, and it needs to go out somewhere else (the bov, or for flutter, back out the intake) but if you dont lift your foot off (ie. in an auto) the boost continues to go into the engine... when you take your foot off the accellerator there is vacuum in your manifold (the engine still wants to suck air but the throttle is closed) and the vacuum will also be in your little vacuum lines (as they are connected..) and opens the bov... now im probably not 100% correct but im sure to an extent... theres a few types of bov's.. push types, pull types, etc.. read up on them if you want a more accurate explanation :D

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Just an FYI for Auto owners, when you get boost spike when the gears change (which you ALL will haha) its actually the wastegates that open to release pressure, not the BOV.

Dam i thought that was my bov. Best just get a manual or convert mine to get loud whoooosh to put a smile on my face :ROFLMAO:

Do it man! You know you want to hehe

And as Josh said, just google it :D (Google knows everything )

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Just an FYI for Auto owners, when you get boost spike when the gears change (which you ALL will haha) its actually the wastegates that open to release pressure, not the BOV.

Do it man! You know you want to hehe

And as Josh said, just google it :D (Google knows everything )

I know I want to just sorting out some things and hopefully will be relaunching my purple car in a better guise:drool: and getting another work car, watch this space i say:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom