Impact guns and performance

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
I've committed to using AEG 18 volt tools and one of those is their 1/2" impact gun. It's not bad but while I was in Sydney at TME, I used their Makita impact gun to remove my wheel nuts.

To say this tool absolutely demolished the performance of my AEG is an understatement. What was super weird bout this tool was that it even seemed to be hammering at a slower rate than my AEG, but it just spun those nuts right off no matter how tight they were.

@TME_Steve is there anything special about your Makita impact gun that would set it apart from my AEG tool? Mine is rated to 360Nm.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I use a Dewalt 18 volt at work, not sure how many Nm of the top of my head but this works well for me and I use it almost every day for long periods of time. Although one of the other fitters had the spindle fail on theirs. Copped a lot of abuse until this happened. Milwaulkee are apparently good too.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Don't get the ryobi one+ impact, it's weak as piss. I need to check this one out

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I have the 18v brushless makita 1/2drive. Have served me well. Takes off wheel nuts and the odd crank pulley bolt.

image.jpg

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Don't get the ryobi one+ impact, it's weak as piss. I need to check this one out
I love my ryobi impact, but the 1/2 inch drive one, not the little hex drive thing, older ones like mine have about 270 nm, newer 3 speed ones have 360 nm.

Milwaukee make the bees knees of impact drivers, some now with over 1000 nm of torque. but very exxy.

Also just got Jess a light small De-Walt 10.8v 3/8th drive impact driver with 2.0ah batteries and 130nm, not bad for a light weight little thing.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I'll just point out here that the 6A13TT engine is rated at 363 N-m in stock trim. You're talking about holding that much torque in one hand...

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
I'll just point out here that the 6A13TT engine is rated at 363 N-m in stock trim. You're talking about holding that much torque in one hand...
Impact wrenches don't apply torque like that and I've never had it twist my arm. Now my AEG cordless drill however WILL twist your hand off if you are not holding it correctly.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
I have the 18v brushless makita 1/2drive. Have served me well. Takes off wheel nuts and the odd crank pulley bolt.

Do you know the rated torque? I saw on the Makita website that one of their units is rated to 440Nm.

I would really like to remove crank pulley bolts with this rather than the bodge technique I use right now where I jam an extension bar into the floor and tickle the starter motor.

craig

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4, Silver (project)
1997 Galant VR-4, soon to be manual
2004 Toyota Funcargo, Silver (daily)
Not long ago I bought a Rockwell cordless impact wrench from SuperCheapAuto, it was on sale for $160 or $170. Bought it to get a flywheel at a wreckers yard, which may have been put on a bit tight as it took a few attempts on different bolts and the rest budged, then took off a flexplate which unbolted straight away and then I think we used it on a couple of bolts on one of my TD04s before recharging it. For the price it is brilliant and it has already made things from changing wheels to working on suspension, interior e.t.c. much easier and quicker.

upload_2016-3-7_19-7-1.jpeg

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I have the Ryobi One+ 18v impact wrench. I was concerned about it not being tough enough after watching some US based YouTube reviews but I'm very glad I bought it. It'll take the wheel nuts off no problem and I'm happy I can use my existing battery. It's rated to 265nm so I know it's not going to be as good as the higher quality brands but for the money it seems good. Wheel nuts are probably the tightest things I would need to undo with this.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
I have a hitachi 1/2" rattle gun. It's decent and will get most things but useless compared to the ryobi equivalent. Wish I had bought the $129.00 skin after I bought all my One+ gear instead of the $600 hitachi

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
My flatmate has Milwaukee M18 electric rattle gun and that thing is better than any makita/dewalt/snapon/ryobi etc etc one I have ever used. Its breakaway torque is ridiculous 1100ft/Lb

Badger

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Reece
Drive
Manual Super Legnum VR4
My flatmate has Milwaukee M18 electric rattle gun and that thing is better than any makita/dewalt/snapon/ryobi etc etc one I have ever used. Its breakaway torque is ridiculous 1100ft/Lb

Yep things a beast, would love to own one but even at cost its pretty pricey

craig

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Craig
Drive
1998 Legnum Super VR-4, Silver (project)
1997 Galant VR-4, soon to be manual
2004 Toyota Funcargo, Silver (daily)
I bought one of those too, took off all my axle nuts no problem after breaking my breaker bar on them. Very impressed for the price
Yeah mine did those pretty easily. Could've got others for $100 or upwards more then have to buy the battery, but decided to give it a go and I'll probably be happy with it for a while.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
I am a diesel technician and I swear by my Milwaukee M18 fuel 1/2" rattle gun.
I also love my Milwaukee M12 fuel 3/8" pistol rattle gun.
All the other techs have purchased Milwaukee guns after using mine.
One tech bought the 3/4" M18, which is now on my wish list.
By the way we put these guns through hell daily too.

Top Bottom