Is it physically possible to ....

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
replace our lightglobes WITHOUT having to remove the headlights ?

Is being a contortionist necessary to achieve it ? I nearly took at my car with a hammer after the frustration !!!!!!!!!

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
I replaced the high beam in my car without taking the head lights out, although the low beam may be a bit harder being towards the outside.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Highbeam I can kinda understand ... but normal beam ? I want video footage from someone proving it can be done...

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Yup, you can replace the headlight, parker and high beam bulbs without removing the entire headlight.

Sometimes, you'll have to move the battery a bit for some space.
The hardest part I find is when you have to lock them into place with the small metal "paper clip" thing. Especially on the passenger side, in front of the battery. God help me :mad:

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Lol.... Brad you sook, its easy! I've done all of mine without removing the lights :)

I actually remove the globes from the lights before I take them out so i'm well practiced. First time is a bitch but you'll get used to it :D

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Lol.... Brad you sook, its easy! I've done all of mine without removing the lights :)

I actually remove the globes from the lights before I take them out so i'm well practiced. First time is a bitch but you'll get used to it :D

Alright Dawso, at the next meet, you have to show me how you do it, & I will film it !

Dimi - yea I'm talking about not moving ANYTHING out of the way ! My arms & hands were bending in ways that weren't human...

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
1999 Galant VR4 1993 HJ V6
Brad, Simple.. Being Six Four and my hands aren't that small... I've done them without too many problems. Didn't need to move the battery.A lot of it was done by feel....Feel your way... Just be good with your hands...Get up close and personal.. with the headlight....... errr... Sorry... Where was I!! lol

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Brad, Simple.. Being Six Four and my hands aren't that small... I've done them without too many problems. Didn't need to move the battery.A lot of it was done by feel....Feel your way... Just be good with your hands...Get up close and personal.. with the headlight....... errr... Sorry... Where was I!! lol

I'm not good with my hands :wanker: normally just plough straight in :p

But with the headlights ... haha .... I could take them OUT on the Super but all the piping & cables are slightly differently positioned compared to the Grandpa so it made it easier (JUST). There was tons of black shit on the piping though my hands were black as anything.

There was no way in hell I could get into the Grandpa based on feel alone. I've never sworn so much in my life !

It's the only time I wish I had my Corollas back HAHAHAHAHA....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
how about removing the whole headlight assembly without scratching the top part of the clear lens?

AND NO YOU CAN'T USE A RAG TO COVER IT!! :) thought I'd make it hard for you guys...

G

Unregistered
I scratched the face of the lens too the first time :mad:

Now I cover the lens and the fender corner with a few layers of gaffa tape before commencing removal or refitting.

G

Unregistered
yeah ive been thinking about installing blue globes so this is all quite intresting. maybe i will have a go one day

csj

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Christer
Drive
Galant Avance Estate (Eurospec Legnum) 2003
I can't even fathom what you guys are doing wrong. I've replaced all 8 bulbs in my headlights (highs, lows, indicators and park lights) in about 7 minutes, and that included a ciggie break. No bulbs were scratched, nothing was moved or taken out to make more room or anything. Granted, the bulbs on the left side (driver's side on my car, which is Euro-spec) were hard to get to thanks to the battery being in the way, but still were a snap to replace. :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Do Norwegians have smaller arms & hands ? ;)

Youtube your feat for us all to watch :ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
it was easy to do . all u need is a pair of pliars and they come out straight away o_O dono why u found it soo hard :p

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I just take teh lights out lol its only 3 screws and i have a pimp rachet type screw driver in my glove box which makes the job easy :p

And plus, for some reason to remove the globes it's bloody hard to do, every time! The parker LEDs are even worse.. I haven't been able to take them out AT ALL

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
My parkers are a PITA too, and I've only ever done them with the lenses out of the car. Haven't checked on my new lenses to see if the clips are any easier in those.

Top Bottom