Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto

User Name

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tom
Drive
VR4
why was the dyno done in 3rd gear, and not 4th? (being 1:1 ratio)

and didn't you buy new injectors?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
There is a compensator in the software that can adjust for a 1:1 ratio. I am assuming this has been used.

Also, wouldn't the aftermarket ECU remove the speed cut?

G

Unregistered
hey josh mate.
i was looking into this for my car but i got a feeling they wont fit mate do you think you agree with me mate. You seen how small my engine bay is mate?

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Thread hijacking? I keep looking for Madhav's updates and keep getting FTO talk. Maybe you should start a new thread!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Yeah there's 13 pages now... but don't worry, I'll put all the essential info at the beginning in post number 1 once it's all done. Should be picking the car up tomorrow.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Yeah there's 13 pages now... but don't worry, I'll put all the essential info at the beginning in post number 1 once it's all done. Should be picking the car up tomorrow.

Looking forward to another youtube installment.:bigsmile:

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
The videos will have to wait as my laptop videocard just retired after only 20 months of service (am using iPhone atm). Will have to use a friends computer.

Picked up the car today and have had a chance for a little bit of a drive so far, allbeit somewhat limited because of the state of the auto right now. To put it in drive is useless, jumps to N for about 2 second between changes... In tiptronic it hesitates from 1st to 2nd a little... say 1/2 a second. 2nd to 3rd quite a lot, 3rd to 4th is perfect, 4th to 5th is on and off. However it doesn't slip out of gear in tiptronic so I can still drive.

There is a lot more torque now, it feels good from 3000rpm, as fast as it did with the old turbos, and then simply explodes from 4000 onwards and throws u back in the seat all the way to the end. Definitely a lot quicker, a completely different car to drive, one that I'm gonna have to get used to. Will do a video up soon and show u all a run in second gear.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
sounds extreme :D so just as fast from 3000 but then crazy from 4000 aye.. i could probably live with that when i do an upgrade :p maybe bigger than the 2554's is the way to go... meh long way off yet.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Well the old turbos would come to life at 2500rpm, and really boost at 3000rpm. These new ones as the dyno readout shows make like 11psi or so at around 3000, 13.5psi at 3500, so by this time you feel power, then the peak torque at just over 4000 comes in is great!

I had a go on the freeway last night, 80km/hr in third gear cruising, then power down, amazing. I'll have to show you all. Looking forward to getting the auto sorted out so I can do off the mark runs also.

User Name

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tom
Drive
VR4
so what was the final power output?

and what about a total estimated cost, if i wanted to do the exact same thing to my legnum?
(just wondering what the cost vs. power increase is)

G

Unregistered
nice bro....good to hear that everything sorted out...

Thats a good results to. I guess I have to work on my single turbo piping to get better result than the previous one.

Once again good job bro.....

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Kkr Turbos $1k
All Hard Piping and cooler $2.5k?
Injectors $500-700
Ecu: $2k plus tuning time

You will need a few other things done before all this though like full exhaust, fuel pump, decent plugs, BOV, better brake pads and good suspension.

The trick is to do all the metal work all in one go, you will save bigtime there. So do exhaust, dumps, front pipe, cooler pipes, intake pipe, turbo piping (and associated mods like oil filter relocation) all in one go from one place.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
You're right, some of it is not labour inclusive... $2k to purchase the ECU and then on top of this installation plus Tuning time. This is on a cases to case basis, should take a few hours to install plus a few hours of tuning.

The piping stuff was about $1000 in metal parts, $500 for the cooler core, labour to do it all is case to case also, say $1000? or so min?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Check the new video

As soon as I get the auto sorted I'll do a 0-200km/h / 1/4 mile time video also

Top Bottom