KKR 280 turbo upgrade on the 6A13

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Madhav, what brand are these turbo's again, are they the things that Ben Ellis owns- i think i asked this a long time ago when you considering this turbo? If they are i won't say anything... i think you know my thoughts on these...

Well, i'd save myself the hassel and go garrett. i know you've just fitted them and spent a lot of time and coin but i really do think the 250hp flowing turbo will be the goods.

Hope it turns out well mate. ;)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Yeah man I have read some people bagging these turbos, it's true they get mixed opinions... however remember it could be a simple boost leak mate which can happen on any turbo, and this can be easily tested with an air compressor... I'm gonna wait till it's all done (however long this may take), then I'll will see... only then will I pass judgement. At this point I'm still neutral

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
Sorry to hear mate.

And yes , any turbo will be affected by leaking boost.

If you are going to pour more money into this thing , can i suggest.

2 x Garret turbo's
2 x Custom MILD STEEL steam pipe manifolds.
All your nice braided oil/water lines.

Then retune.

I know the problems you are having are only teething problems but..

the turbo's you purchased should make boost reguardless

Oh , and if you open the wastegate's , you wont be making boost any time earlier than stock.

The best idea would be to keep them closed and see if it will boost.

My 2c.

User Name

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tom
Drive
VR4
steam pipe manifolds are a waste of money for that power

you'd notice a vacuum leak if it was big enough to leak out ALL your pressurised air, that would be a lot of hissing, and i dare say the car wouldn't run as it would be pumping in way too much fuel.

also, leaving the wastegate open is just going to make most of the exhaust gasses bypass the turbo, and create no boost as well.. does this workshop actually know what they are doing?

and KKR are shit, no 2 ways about it.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!

I think its fair for everyone to have their opinions on turbo choice but to say this....:banghead:
Also with the wastegate open comment, i think what the guys were doing was opening the wastegate on purpose to make sure it wasn't jammed..

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
you'd notice a vacuum leak if it was big enough to leak out ALL your pressurised air, that would be a lot of hissing, and i dare say the car wouldn't run as it would be pumping in way too much fuel.

I think you're right, I remember reversing down a driveway too quick one day and ripping a pipe off my BOV, it hissed like crazy and I was only loosing 7psi

How did you actually come to this conclusion? And please try to be a little more diplomatic in the way you express your opinions on this forum

G

Unregistered
Just to clarify - mostly because I think that Madhav wasn't sure what we were doing these were the tests we have done

We firstly closed the waste gate actuators by removing the vacuum line to the units so that theoretically at wide open throttle at 4000 rpm (Which is how we tested it) it should have tried to push over 100kpa boost. It didn't produce any boost at all.

We checked for air leaks / boost leaks at the same time with the same test and there was no sounds of boosted air being leaked anywhere.

WE checked the actuators to see if they were moving to see if maybe they were jammed open and leaking the boost off but they appeared to be working fine.

At this stage other than a physical check of the turbos, I can't find any boost leaks, everything else appears to be working correctly, I can only believe it is the turbo's themselves.

We will pull one of the air itnake pipes off and then see if the turbo's are actually spinning. IF they are then I definitely have no idea as to why there is no positive pressure being built.

And in reference to it runing too much fuel - that is not entirely correct. With a factory vehicle with a MAF sensor that would be correct if it was a boost leak as the MAF sensor would be registering the volume of air being compressed, which wouldn't be making it to the intake manifold

BUt with the haltech setup, running MAP sensors, because we are not getting any boost to the inlet manifold, the haltech only feeds enough fuel to match the MAP load so it doesn't over fuel.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
My theory is... the new restrictor to the oil line has starved the turbos of oil thus seizing them. BTW I'm no guru so it's just a theory.:)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Are you sure you didn't install potatoes instead of turbo's?

I'm no expert of course!

It will be nice once someone makes this a full bolt on kit :) Good work lads.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I'm glad that I didn't spend $5000 on HKS turbos and then have them starved of oil!!! In saying that though, if it was an engineering fault, the company KKR will have to replace them, and if it's an installation fault, i.e. restrictor was too small and starved the turbo of oil causing it to seize, then Wayne at Embleton said he will replace them, which I think is very honorable... so either way I'm covered, although it is a little inconvenient the amount of time this whole process is taking.

User Name

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tom
Drive
VR4
How did you actually come to this conclusion? And please try to be a little more diplomatic in the way you express your opinions on this forum

because i have had a KKR 480, it was a laggy piece of shit, and then failed.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Ok so that kinda sucks, having a laggy turbo and it ultimately failing on your application...

Just because your experience with them wasn't so good doesn't mean that all KKR turbos will be laggy and will ultimately fail? Garretts fail all the time also, I spoke to a turbos rebuilder here in Perth and he fixes them all day, doesn't mean they are all bad though.

User Name

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tom
Drive
VR4
its their design that makes them laggy.
they use thrust bearings, and have a very bad wastegate design, especially with the V-band housing.

you get what you pay for with cheap turbo's, i didn't (and wouldn't) buy my KKR, it came on the car.

scientist

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Edmund Robinson
Drive
1989 Galant VR4
Did you guys check the oil pressure at the head b4 selecting what size restrictor to use?

G

Unregistered
Hi guys.
A few of you guys quickly forget how much luck is needed with projects like this.
It could have all gone in first time and turn the key and then everyone is drooling at madhavs set up.
Even F1 teams like minardi and renault have gone for more then half a season with DNF's and I dont think madhav has a F1 budget nor do the guys at RPW have years of F1 experience so basically we are all human and its trial and error.
Just look back at subaru who spent millions and you up the boost on a wrx and say goodbuy to the gearbox and aston martin blew 3 power steering pumps on the new vantage on the show with top gear.
Trial and error boys trial and error.
Good job madhav and maybee we just do a group buy of the 2554's or I have read some good stuff on the upgraded TD04's for the gto in the US.
Both turbos about $1000 and good for 550-600hp on a twin turbo mitsubishi motor???

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Oil pressure was checked and adjusted accordingly before installing the turbos, so that base is covered...

All I can tell you is it's not over yet!! One way or another my car will have upgraded turbos in there within a few weeks.

Just hoping the gearbox will hold up, after the ecu change it was slipping around like crazy, although this may be a 're-learning' phase which has happened in the past when the engine was cold and the ecu was reset... a whole new ecu is a different story.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
EDIT: Double post, this website seems to be running very very slow atm...?

Top Bottom