Lean running Legnum on the dyno

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Do the front only and it'll feel like std while still eliminating 90% of the false knock.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
OK new roll stop fitted.

Old one looks a tad stuffed, Collapsed to one side to the point where it won't spring back even with no load on it, and the rubber is split.

IMG_20141202_211223.jpg
IMG_20141202_211210.jpg

It sure was a tight fit though. I had to lever the crossmember back into place to get the bolt holes to line up. Does that mean my engine mounts are stuffed?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
had to move the engine up or down?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
had to move the engine up or down?
Nope, had to move it forwards about 5mm. Installed roll stop bolt, then installed front crossmember bolts (easy as they are rubber mounted), then used a pry bar to lever the crossmember forward so the rear bolts lined up.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Come to think of it, I suppose the tight fitment could be because the crossmember is a bit warped from being used to jack the car.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I had the same issue with the motor sitting rearward even with brand new mounts on engine and both gearbox mounts.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
I had the same issue with the motor sitting rearward even with brand new mounts on engine and both gearbox mounts.
Well there you go. Nice to know it's not just me.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yeah its probably high on the back twisting it. Fine to move them around a touch.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I wasn't too fussed that it was tight. Tells me the motor is locked in place and has tension on it. I have little vibration but very liveable day to day. I've driven a vr4 with solid mounts all round and that was pretty harsh I thought.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Hmmm. Just had first drive since fitting new roll stop. Super noisy....not sure if it's my cup of tea.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Noisy. When I start the car the starter motor noise is really loud. Then when driving around I can feel the motor vibrating through the car and can hear way more noise from the engine bay.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
On another note, I had the local performance exhaust guy check out the muffler. It's a bloody tri-flow, which goes some way to explaining restricted power on the dyno. Gonna book it in next week to have that replaced with the biggest straight through we can fit, weld in my wideband O2 bung, and inspect what kind of cat has been fitted to the car. He said it sounds like a 100 cell (which is good) but eyeballing it is the best option.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Did some work on the car today and noticed that the front turbo inlet host clamp was LOOSE.

@TME_Steve how relevant would this have been to the car running lean when we tuned it? This is not a pressurised hose and I would have thought any issues here would have been evident at idle if it was leaking badly.

Also, this is totally my fault for not checking my work the last time I had the car in bits prior to the tune.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
I've seen this on another car, had really weird idle issues. On it, it didn't matter at high load. Yours may be a slightly different problem though. So i would certainly think this is a possibility

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Just to close this off, I think with the fuel pump o-ring spacer the problem might be solved. The power delivery has gone from sharp to a bit wooly and soft which is usually a sign of too rich. However, I'll fit my wideband first.

@TME_Steve is it a simple matter of a reflash of the ECU and setting a higher AFR target now, or will more work be needed. My intention was always to learn how to flash and tune these cars so it could be a good excuse to learn.

FYI I only have a 1.3 OpenPort cable. I recall that I might need a 2.0 cable to flash the 7203 ECU.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Run a wideband and see what the afrs are. The timing should be correct, as the airflow hasn't changed. Let me know what's running at say 4000rpm wot ( and tell me the 2 byte ecuload is running at, at that point) and I'll send you a new map. Happy new year btw :)

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
I've said it before mate, and I'll say it again. @TME_Steve is a legend.

Oh and I'll mail that roll stop back too. *sheepish*

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Run a wideband and see what the afrs are. The timing should be correct, as the airflow hasn't changed. Let me know what's running at say 4000rpm wot ( and tell me the 2 byte ecuload is running at, at that point)

I'll go one better and hook the wideband up to evoscan and send you a full log. Fourth gear pull?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
4th might be a touch fast but whatever you can

Top Bottom