Logging PLX wideband AFR with Evoscan

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
I know it is outdated, but maybe just FYI, I used an Arduino to convert the PLX wideband AFR to AEM protocol, so that on the EvoScan can log as AEM AFR data. To do that, assuming you have experience on Arduino, and if now, it's better to google or youtube for tutorial because it is actually very simple.

Hardware:
normal 3.5mm headphone jack plug
Arduino supported board, eg, I use ESP32 dev board which is cheaper and faster.

Software:
Arduino IDE.
EvoScan, I am using latest v3.1

This 3.5mm plug is used to plug into the PLX control box. The "tip" is the data, and the "bottom" on the plug is ground. So, simply connect the data into the RX of my ESP32, and the GND of course.
PXL_20230524_080013251~2.jpg

After that, connect my ESP32 to the PC USB and then select the correct COM port from the EvoScan by "WideBand(WDB) -> Select Wideband Serial ComPort" and also select the "AEM UEGO 115200......." as the AEM device.
EvoScan01.jpg

After all this, then can happy logging!

PXL_20230524_034318536.jpg

PXL_20230524_034430568.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Just change to use even smaller board, and it's enough to do the conversion.

PXL_20230617_040532426.jpg

Blackbandt

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Alex
Drive
Legnum VR4 Typ S
why do you do it this way ? doesn't your AFR have a 0-5v output ? Then you could pin it directly into the ECU and do not need additional devices

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
why do you do it this way ? doesn't your AFR have a 0-5v output ? Then you could pin it directly into the ECU and do not need additional devices
Directly connect to the ECU and log the AFR in Evoscan is much easier. But my concern is the ECU is not fast actually, so, one more ID logging may be slow down the logging on the Evoscan a little bit, although it is not significant. Also, the PLX 0-5v output already uses an DAC, and then connect to ADC inside the ECU, and depends on how many bits of the DAC and ADC, I am just afraid, it could be some kind of losses, and again, it could not be significant, but just not feeling good. Actually, using this board to do conversion is not that complicated.

Top Bottom