long-life rad coolant

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Hi Aussies,

Are any of you using long-life raditor coolant? Any issues with it?

Have bought some universal green coloured long life coolant (supposedly good for 5yrs or 250,000kms) with organic corrosion inhibitor and am debating whether or not to use it or stick with the ordinary stuff with a 2yr/40,000km duty cycle.

Thanks!

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Trevor do you have shares or part owner of Amsoil? and is there any fluid in your vehicle that's not Amsoil. That stuff must be good.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
I'm using Amsoil's coolant product, which has a seven year or 250,000 MILE usage cycle. It also has a relatively high boiling point (the real reason I'm using it).

Ah yes, that Amsoil coolant is the same type of product with a similar chemical composition to the stuff I bought.

I found the article below quite informative. It goes over the problems with various types of coolant including the GM developed DEX-Cool which contains a corrosion inhibitor called 2-EHA which can soften plastic and cause coolant passage gasket leakage. Also when it is combined with other coolants it can solidify and block coolant passages with gunk.

However, I gather from few other sources that the so-called universal coolants (of which Amsoil is clearly one) do not have either problem. I.e. they don't use 2-EHA inhibitor and they can be safely mixed with any other type of coolant.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200408/ai_n9453107

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Trevor do you have shares or part owner of Amsoil? and is there any fluid in your vehicle that's not Amsoil. That stuff must be good.
Nope no commercial interests in Amsoil haha.

Yes: the brake fluid isn't Amsoil ;)

But yes, it is good - I start out being skeptical of everything until I find enough evidence to make me a believer. From what I've been able to find about lubricants, Amsoil and its performance (especially when comared with every other competitor) I'm now a huge believer. I'm always open to improvements though, so if anyone can find detailed information showing something that's better than Amsoil, I'm all ears!

Top Bottom