mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Hey,
I recently installed an autometer boost gauge in my s1 manual legnum to check she was boosting properly and discovered a problem. The boost is peaking at 6psi rather than the 9 or 10psi i was expecting. Is there a common problem that could be causing this. I have a blitz blow off valve and pod filter fitted, could a dodgy instal be the issue. Would really like to get this sorted as im being swamped with things going wrong on this car. Just found out i need a new o2 sensor, muffler, and the ayc looks to be playing up.

Thanks for any help, Matt

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
have you upped to boost to 9 or 10 or is that what you expect it to be running stock?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
thats just what i expected stock

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Stock is around 6-8psi. Remove the pod filter, it will cause you problems, maybe not boost but it will mess up your AFR's.

What is happening with your AYC?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
oh so thats the stock figure. i thought they ran like 9psi stock. And yeah the air filter is poo, got a new one on the way from kempy's. so basically 6psi is not a problem. and with the ayc, the warning light came on the other day and then i turned the car off and back on again and it went off. also never had the in use lights come on.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Could the problem be the gauge because the ferrule that came with it was broken so i had to buy another one. The original was a two way where as the only one i could find to replace it was a one way. now that i think about it i think maybe this wasnt the best idea.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
For AYC, the light probably came on because of the high outside temperature. You can get adjustable switches from MPBVR4 to fix the problem. As for the lights not coming up, are you sure you're trying hard enough?

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Probably not im afraid of breaking sumin so dont drive it too hard. And yeah it was pretty hot maybe that was it.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Ok so i took the gauge out in order to install it properly after the intial test drive and now ive put it back in its reading 4psi, starting to think my instal is responsible for this problem. Might replace the crappy nylon tubing with sumin more substantial. and check all the connections.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Also on a side note. While checking for a possible boost leak i happened across a little black box that says hks electronics on it. Now i did a bit of research and it looks a lot like the control valve box for a hks evc 3 or 4 boost controller with all the vacuum lines still in place and all the electrical lines still going to the interior. However i do not have one of these in my car so im guessing they removed it during the import process.

Is it safe to run the car like this. Im guessing it is cos you can turn the evc off i believe and that would be effectively how it is running now.

YTRY50

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1996 VRG Galant->1996 Galant VR4->2002 Galant GLS->1998 Galant VR4
my galant runs 7 psi stock now i have it on 10 with a boost tap :)

Top Bottom