Getting boost cut even on low boost settings?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
hrmmm, so very tempted to fit mine now (been sitting in the garage for 6+ months :ROFLMAO:)
Then need to fit & tune SAFC - damn family & Pergola construction taking all my time :(

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Mine is wound about the same as well.

You only need to turn it very slightly. I was getting boost cut and backed it off about 1/8th a turn and it was fine.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Lee, do it man. You'll love it lol
It's really good. The car seriously goes hard now. The turbos don't feel like they are running out of puff after 5000rpm anymore. The car just keeps soaring.
The only downside of it is it deletes petrol like no tomorrow if you give it a few hard hits.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
bro, have you disconnect the standard boost controller?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Dimi and Mitchy.. it's weird how you guys have the screw/bolt up high, mine's kinda way down, maybe about 3-5mm lower than yours.. could it be caused by the auto transmission? like a security measure?! ill take a photo of mine later and show you guys..

ianturbo

Crunching Gears
First Name
ian
Drive
legnum vr4
Wrong way round !!!! why no one tell me that ages ago , i took mine off and threw it away cause off boost cut !!! :wanker::wanker:
SP_A0073.jpg

ian

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
You need to disconnect the standard boost controller which helps to avoid a boost spike but I may not be entirely correct so could someone correct if I'm wrong??

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I think that's only with a Electronic Boost controller gorgath. With a MBC we just trick the stock boost controller into opening the waste gate later as far as I know...

I have NFI of course.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
If you remove the factory solenoid, you are relying 100% on the MBC to control the boost. What this will do is allow boost to the full setting as soon as its avialable.

The factory solenoid has a variable duty (as in the image shown taken from ECU Edit) and therefore if you place a bleed in line with the solenoid, you keep the same duty, but just with higher overall boost.

Attachments

• duty.gif
    duty.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 27

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
So, I don't really understand Hotwire...

Please make it even more dumbed down :p

From what you have said it would make sense to remove the factory solenoid and fully rely on the MBC... because that would allow 'full' boost asap?

And in the 2nd line your saying the MBC makes the factory solenoid stay at the same duty and thus higher over all boost?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
From what you have said it would make sense to remove the factory solenoid and fully rely on the MBC... because that would allow 'full' boost asap?

Yes this is correct

And in the 2nd line your saying the MBC makes the factory solenoid stay at the same duty and thus higher over all boost?

With the factory solenoid, it will bleed a certain % of air to allow boost. This amount is varied dependant upon engine RPM, Load as shown in the picture above. SO If the bleed valve has bled off aditional air to this, this would allow more boost.

If you remove the factory solenoid, you will need to bleed off more via the bleed valve to achieve the same boost, BUT it will be simply a flat line bleed off, not varied with engine load/rpm as designed by the factory solenoid (essentially an Electronic Boost Controller)

Make sense?

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Yeah now it does... so why doesn't everyone who installs a MBC remove the factory boost solenoid?

Or do you actually want boost to vary over RPM?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Depends what you are looking for I guess:

I would be interested to see someones AFR charts with the solenoid both in place and removed, to see if the maps are directly related to the boost level, because if they are you could get slightly worse curve without the solenoid.

However, It may also affect your economy for low end driving, ie. if there is no electronic control, you may hit higher boost sooner, which is great for power, but not for economy - i'd imagine the original boost maps would be there to try get the best comprimise for daily driving to spirited driving.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Just to add to this, EBC's come WITH a boost solenoid hence getting rid of the stock one.....

This means you can program boost curves etc, something you can't do with an MBC..... Without control over these things, you could break something ;)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Just to add to this, EBC's come WITH a boost solenoid hence getting rid of the stock one.....

This means you can program boost curves etc, something you can't do with an MBC..... Without control over these things, you could break something ;)

You will only break something if you set stupid boost levels, and we are lucky with these cars that boostcut is set very conservatively.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
You will only break something if you set stupid boost levels, and we are lucky with these cars that boostcut is set very conservatively.

Good point, as long as you don't go overboard you'll be safe.... But wheres the fun in that! :ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
Depends what you are looking for I guess:

I would be interested to see someones AFR charts with the solenoid both in place and removed, to see if the maps are directly related to the boost level, because if they are you could get slightly worse curve without the solenoid.

However, It may also affect your economy for low end driving, ie. if there is no electronic control, you may hit higher boost sooner, which is great for power, but not for economy - i'd imagine the original boost maps would be there to try get the best comprimise for daily driving to spirited driving.

i have just the MBC controlling my boost, removed the factory solenoid, and i get ~11L/100km on average.

Top Bottom