Getting boost cut even on low boost settings?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Goodmorning people.
I installed my manual boost controller last night (thanks Jono), but no matter what setting I set it to, the car pulls really hard and always hits boost cut.
I’ll hold the gear in 2nd by using tip mode and floor it gradually to around 6000rpm. The car goes ridiculously fast, but it hits boost cut all the time. Even if I wind the boost down to the very bottom.
I ended up taking MBC out for now and the car is now back to stock boost and does not jerk or hit boost cut with the boost controller out.

I gotta admit, the car went very hard. Very different from stock. So much more g-forces and the pull was amazing, but the boost cut/jerking at around 5000-6000rpm ruined my fun.
Could this be the boost controller? Or the car itself?
It’s just weird because no matter what setting the boost controller was on, the car would always hit boost cut in 2nd and 3rd.

Goo.jpg

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Sure you didnt have the controller round the wrong way blocking the bleed completely, ie. max boost all the time?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Thats no good man!

You'll need a boost gauge.... Otherwise there is no indication what boost you are running! :)

I would assume that it is a dodgy MBC (or what he said ^^^) but without knowing what boost you are running we will never know lol.....

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Make sure none of the hoses are kinked as this will prevent boost pressure from reaching the wastegates.

Are you bypassing the standard boost solenoid? If not, you may need to.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
LOL yeah dawso i know aye... hmmm

Sure you didnt have the controller round the wrong way blocking the bleed completely, ie. max boost all the time?
Hangon, I think i might have installed it the wrong way? I connected the red tip of the hose to the bottom of the boost controller (gold, exposed section "to turbo") and the black rubber hosing part of the boost controller (which came with it), i connected it to the nib where the red tip hose originally connected to.
Is this wrong?
(Please see below on what i've done lol)

boost.jpg

Skurfer

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
EZTONV
Its the wrong way around mate. I have the same one. The red tipped hose runs to the wastgate actuators of the two turbos. Where it says connect to turbo, just means connect to the source of positive pressure, which is what is in the intake pipe.

So yeah, turn it around and you will be fine. Let us know how you go.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Its the wrong way around mate. I have the same one. The red tipped hose runs to the wastgate actuators of the two turbos. Where it says connect to turbo, just means connect to the source of positive pressure, which is what is in the intake pipe.

So yeah, turn it around and you will be fine. Let us know how you go.
Sweet man. I thought so.
Thanks for confirming that.
Shit, so i had it the wrong way around. Reckon it did any damage to the turbos?
The car is running normally at the moment.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Nope. Boost cut is there to protect your turbos and the engine. Wouldn't worry to much about it.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Also, winding down to the bottom like you said you did is actually increasing the boost.

Do decrease boost, wind it out/up.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Learning curves are fun :D

Watch how your fuel goes as your need to boost around everywhere increases about x10 with that thing in :p

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Hahaha aye hugh.
Last night on maxo boost i smashed ¼ of my tank in under 10 minutes.
I had no idea how fast our cars could be with a boost adjustment.
The car went off. It felt like i was on the Demon.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Also, winding down to the bottom like you said you did is actually increasing the boost.

Do decrease boost, wind it out/up.

or clockwise to turn up the boost or anti-clockwise to turn down the boost :)

Dimi.. have you changed your plugs recently?!

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I was also going to point out the direction of adjustment. You wind it down to increase, out to decrease.

I've had my MBC sitting on a shelf for a few months. I think it is about time I stuck it in...

G

Unregistered
Nope. Boost cut is there to protect your turbos and the engine. Wouldn't worry to much about it.

have you seen how quickly the turbo's spool? i dare say they got to quite a high pressure, but obviously the boost cut stopped it before they shot out an exhaust wheel..

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
They're steel wheeled, and the boost cut did it's job, they'll be fine

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Thanks fellas.
So here it is. Installed the right way around this time.
I fiddled around with it and wound the knob anti-clockwise to turn down the boost to the lowest possible. Then i turned it in a few times and was hitting boost cut again. So i wound it out once and now it's doing well.

It's wound out quite a bit though. But it goes better than stock boost and i'm not getting boost cut with it wound out like this (see below).
I guess it's the maximum i can have. I'm not complaining though.
After all, my car is all factory apart from the SARD R2D2.

Does anyone else here who has the Turbotech have theirs wound out like mine? It seems pretty sensitive. If i wind it even a tiny bit down from this setting to increase boost, it will give me boost cut.

PB250063.jpg

G

Unregistered
i have that one in my car at the moment as rhys has my other one.

mine is wound out about the same amount, and yes it is very sensitive. i've managed to give it very small adjustments and get it to hit 13psi, and it then tapers off back to around 11psi.

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
mine is wound out about the same amount, and yes it is very sensitive. i've managed to give it very small adjustments and get it to hit 13psi, and it then tapers off back to around 11psi.
Sweet. I might fiddle with it a bit more tomorrow or something. But no boost cut at the moment is good. And it definitely has a more grunt than stock. So i don't want to be too greedy.
Mitch, what kind of power is yours making atw on 13psi?

G

Unregistered
about 4awhp (one each)

honestly no idea, never had it on a dyno.

Top Bottom