Nearly VR4'ed, have further questions

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
Hi guys,

1 - What type of alarms/immobilisers do you have on your VR4's, where did you get them installed and how much did it set you back? I think I'll probably need at least a triple immobiliser (just car insurance needed that on the Skyline).

2 - Whats the deal with interstate purchasing? A VR4 I'm looking at doesn't have a rego in the state that it's currently in, which means no rego plates. If I end up going through with this, how might I go about getting the vehicle back to VIC?
- Get rego in the other state and then transfer it to a VIC rego when I get back?
- Is there some sort of short-term interim rego I can get that would keep the fuzz off my back if I were to drive it back to VIC?
- Just get it transported on a carrier and rego it normally when it gets here?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I bought my car in QLD and drove it back to VIC on a permit. It is different to down here. You need the permit and also insurance cover note. Cost about $150 all up for the 3 days.

Once the car was back here i just got a RWC and took it to vic roads. You must take it to Dandenong or one similar as it needs to be inspected and not all of them do it.

One issue i had was that i needed all the original paperwork and the dealer gave me copies so he had to express post them down. Also, make sure the VIN number is hard stamped into the cassis. They do not allow for the simple metal strip riveted onto the firewall like other states.

PS make sure you know where you engine number is before you go too

G

Unregistered
Hi guys,

1 - What type of alarms/immobilisers do you have on your VR4's, where did you get them installed and how much did it set you back? I think I'll probably need at least a triple immobiliser (just car insurance needed that on the Skyline).

2 - Whats the deal with interstate purchasing? A VR4 I'm looking at doesn't have a rego in the state that it's currently in, which means no rego plates. If I end up going through with this, how might I go about getting the vehicle back to VIC?
- Get rego in the other state and then transfer it to a VIC rego when I get back?
- Is there some sort of short-term interim rego I can get that would keep the fuzz off my back if I were to drive it back to VIC?
- Just get it transported on a carrier and rego it normally when it gets here?

hey dude... im from victoria and have my insurance thru just cars at only $953 per year

the immobilisers come with most legnums that i know of. mine was factory.
and you should be able to buy the vehicle and there are a couple of good transport companies that deliver to your door for reasonable prices and then yeah you can rego it in victoria...

shouldnt be an issue... as far as temp rego... never heard of it to be honest maybe one the guys here can help with that..

hope it helps :)

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
Do you remember specifically what documents you needed? I'm buying privately and, so far as I can tell, the car has never been registered in australia.

How much $$ do you reckon is involved in getting an RWC, assuming no work needs to be done?

So far as I can tell, I'm going to be out about a grand just getting it registered (not counting the RWC and potentially an Unregistered Vehicle Permit), then there's an alarm which, at best, will be around $600 - 700 (probably much more).

This is the part about cars I hate the most. The bureaucracy.

**EDIT**

Actually, I just pored through VicRoads.

I'll need to:

1 - Make an appointment with VicRoads
- Need VIN, engine number and rego plate (if applicable)

2 - Turn up to said appointment with:
- vehicle
- evidence of identity (photo drivers licence, medicare card and possible more proof of address and name change, if applicable)
- evidence of ownership (contract of sale/receipt showing VIN, engine number,name, address and signature of previous owner; name and address of the new owner)
- Current RWC

3 - Pay VicRoads fat stacks of cash

4 - Attach plates to car

5 - Light up all 3 bars on the AYC on the way out

G

Unregistered
haha i like that response...

most of the time... nothing needs to be done.. pending who you see they will pick on something small so your rwc shouldnt be much at all.. its like 60-80 bucks for the actual thing to be done then whatever needs fixing which again shouldnt be much... have you seen many photos of the car?

I would suggest bombarding the owner/seller with questions... im pretty sure it will come with some sort of immobiliser n stuff.. but check with them

your estimate of a $1000 is safe money yeah... to pay for the first rego in oz im not sure if there is a price hike or not... as mine was in the country for 6mnths already.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
You will need all the compliance forms if it has not been registered. Also, make sure it was done under 1 year ago otherwise it will lapse and is a ball breaker.

Even tho my car was new to AU i still had to pay stamp duty. $650.

Soldat

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Blake
Drive
R33 GTST (S2)
yeah, the vicroads site mentioned a 'motor vehicle duty', which is based on market value OR the purchase price of the vehicle (whichever is greater). Is this the stamp duty? If so, then I've already accounted for that and *crosses fingers, toes and other appendages* would mean my ball-park figure of $1000 is a good guesstimate.

Incidentally, anyone know what the market value of the Legnum is at the moment?

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
hey man you should do what everyone else does and get them to write a much lower amount on the form of sale, no one needs to know how much you actually paid for it, iv done it many times and as long as its not stupidly reduced you willl get away with it

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Just so you know, the people who check the values of cars know what Legnums are worth now because they have finally appeared in the value guides.

So don't push it too far.

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
how much are they worth according to the value guide?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Dunno mate I'd have to check. Depends on year of course. From memory they were fairly close to the mark.

Top Bottom