need help with pc setup.. :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey fellas, thought I'd ask here as I know some members here know their stuff about pc's :)

anyway, my question is.. I'm planning on setting up a new pc... I'm just not so sure if it'll work or not..

here's the setup that I'm planning on doing..

Intel Core i7 2600K Processor 3.4GHz CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
2x Kingston 8G(2x4G) KHX1600C9D3P1K2/8 GDDR3 1600MHz CL9 HyperX
2x Gigabyte GTX560 Super OC 560TI DDR5 1GB HDMI PCIE
Western Digital 2TB SATA3 64M Black(WD2002FAEX)
PSU, I've got a recently upgraded to 750w
Case, is a case
2x 40" Full HD LED TV (still trying to decide on brand and model)

now what I'm gonna use it for.. mostly work and occasional games and watching videos on 1 screen

I know that I can run it in SLI mode, but will it be a concern since the resolution that I'll be running on both screen would be 1920x1080?

and also there might be a possibility that I'll also run 2x 19" monitors using one of those usb display adaptors..

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
Just as a side comment, if you intend on using it as an actual PC you may want to have a normal monitor, as TVs arent that good at displaying text up close from what I recall (although they have gotten alot better in recent years) ...

also how good is the 750W power supply, as my computer which is a few years old now keeps blowing up the cheap 1200W psus from msy..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Rather than buying a single 2TB drive I would buy a 60-120gb SSD and a storage drive. Are you aware of the Z68's neat SSD caching trick?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
was thinking of SSD's but I haven't had a thorough read about them, and also with the z68's caching trick... what is that?!

sh!t.. im in IT industry and my knowledge with the new tech is pretty crap...

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
+1 for SSD, makes speedy hardware an absolute rocketship. Those sandy bridge CPUs overclock like crazy on half decent air coolers too. Add one to the budget if you plan on OCing as the stock air is capable of only a mild OC at best.

Edit: Lots of good info can be found on whirlpool, really helped me to decide on the best gear for my budget. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/7?&g=77

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
^ Definitely trawl through Whirlpool, those guys are absolute gurus. I am also a +1 for one SSD and one fat HDD, it really speeds up your boot times and applications will run nicer off of the SSD.
You could probably save some cash on your GPUs unless you really need it for very high end games at very good settings...If it's just for some casual gaming you could take some of that cash and use it for stuff like an improved heatsink, better case (don't discount the importance of a well-ventilated and laid out case) and a better brand of PSU. Spending that amount on a setup and then going for the cheapest PSU with the wattage you want is like splurging on a sports car and then running it on regular unleaded and the cheapest oil you can buy.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I wont be overclocking it, I just need it to work.. and have a stable system..

i was thinking of the 60GB SSD SATA3..

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
I'm with Tom if you aren't a hard core gamer then 2x560's is overkill
not sure why 2x40"?
I'd definately go SSD for OS as mentioned or a couple of WD raptors in RAID
definately win7 64 bit if you have that amount of RAM or its wasted as Mark said

whirlpool is great as is OCAU.....

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Sounds like you're building a fairly high end rig primarily for regular tasks. Save some money and go for a i5 2500k and a single higher spec gpu. Maybe even check out the AMD Phenom II X6 CPUs for excellent bang for buck.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
btw, which video card is better of out these 2?

Gigabyte ATI HD6990 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E
or
MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II OC

maybe instead of me buying 2 cards.. I'll just buy 1 with the better spec... I've never used ATI, for unknown reason, I've stuck with nVidia..

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
6990 gets my vote. My powercolor pcs+ OC 5870 has been excellent for the price. I'd even be happy with an older xfx 5970 black edition. Absolutely amazing graphical grunt. If the 6990 is the new dual gpu edition then you won't be disappointed.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
If you're not overclocking, you can go the 2500 or 2600 route. The 2600K allows for unlocked multipliers.

nVidia can only support two screens per card (or with SLi, three screens in Surround. I run x2 HD5850s in Crossfire across three screens).

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
If you still want sli try 2x gtx 260.(every one has been getting good results)
also I suggest the asus p8p67 pro.
Has an awesome self over clocking feature.
And im pretty surethe 2600k has a higher bench mark then the 2600
so even if you not over clocking it it may still be worth the extra dosh.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Or a single GTX 295. Save space, save heat. Probably consume the same amount of power as SLI though :p If you're not a serious gamer, there's no need for serious hardware.

Taylor

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taylor
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
My $0.02

16gb ram is ridiculous. so far overkill. I have 12gb 2x tripple channel 6gb kits and Unless you are loading lots of really really big images up in photo shop or running multiple virtual machines at once, 8gb is tonnes. I think youl struggle to get that filled just gaming.

As the others said no point going to a 'k' series processor unless you plan on overclocking.

Screens: Id be reluctant to go that big. In my opinion the resolution has to suit the size at your distance to the screen, I looked into some 32" screens but found them just too pixelated. I ended up settling for a 16:10 24" with the intention of getting a second, but anytime i have that $$ spare it goes on the car haha.

I built my system on the x58 platform, with a gtx285 and it still take whatever I throw at it and it coming up 2.5 years old. IMO your better to by hardware thats going to suit your setup for the life span of your computer rather than having the wank factor of SLI or triple crossfire etc

Top Bottom