need help with pc setup.. :)

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hard finding those hybrid drives in 3.5 form factor? Also a lot of them are only 5400rpm drives in 2.5", plus are SATA2.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Anyone offer an opinion on going to a Velociraptor 10,000RPM drive? They're in SATA2, with 32MB Cache.
My home computer drives are IDE 7200RPM. I definitely notice the downgrade when on my laptop with a 2.5inch 5400RPM drive, & more so on my UMPC with 1.8inch 4200RPM drives, so wondering if I'll see a boost with a 10,000RPM drive.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
i have 2 raptors in a raid set up, never had an issue been in 3 pc's now :O, 4 soon

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
It's certainly worthwhile to look towards 10,000 RPM drives if you want the extra speed. Even the yout00b I posted (which is made to demonstrate the hybrid) has the 10,000 RPM drive finishing way ahead of the 7200.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
It's certainly worthwhile to look towards 10,000 RPM drives if you want the extra speed. Even the yout00b I posted (which is made to demonstrate the hybrid) has the 10,000 RPM drive finishing way ahead of the 7200.

LOL, short term memory loss. Completely forgot about that video!

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
If you want to run high res then you'll need more memory on you gpu, better off running 2x6970 or a single 6990. Also, don't skImp on the ram, 2x8gb might seem like alot but most of it won't be usable. Better off getting higher spec ram but stick with 8gb.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Well I'm holding off now until the AMD AM3+ 8170 CPU comes out early next year.

The trusty old Pentium III 1.4Ghz will be my workhorse until then!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
...and the news for "Bulldozer" ain't that gret for my needs... gets pounced on by the i7 2500 and 2600's for apps that use 1 to 4 threads.

However, it'd be an absolute beast for my work using HyperV (MS) or vmware for a virtualised server environment.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Well just last week my work got me a new laptop to replace the one I had that was on its way out.

Core i7 2.7Ghz
8G RAM
13.3inch screen
160G SSD
Win7 Business
Onboard Intel VGA plus NVidia 1G VGA as well with CUDA.

THat will tide me by for some time now!

BTW I've just ordered some replacement PC133 SDRAM for my home beastie, & my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro has arrived! :)

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Hmm - 9800 pro eh, pretty sure i have a 9800 AIW hanging about and may have something a little more AGP tasty as well. Will investigate...

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Well the AIW was actually the card I had my eyes on all those years ago when I first built the PC. The 9800 PRO will suffice anyways, it's about the best card I can put in there (it's only a 4x AGP slot on the motherboard) that still has drivers for Windows 98SE.

Yes, I still run Win98SE!

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Ahh, gaming. You're forgiven :p

I've been meaning to fire up some emulators and get serious about making my way through the bajillion roms but the lure of Battlefield 3 is strong. Pity it's given me a lust to buy another radeon 5870 to crossfire. Expensive hobby being part of the pc master race :p

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
lol emulators. I'm a ROMset hoarder.

MAME FTW! I used to have an arcade machine fitted out with a PC that ran emulators galore.

A lot of the games I have simply won't run under XP or higher or even under DOSBOX, though the situation is improving with things like nGlide etc.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
MAME is a great emulator, sooooo many great old games (y)

Top Bottom