New EVOSCAN Datalogging Front End - EVODROID7 ??

STAGTR

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pete
Drive
99 Legnum VR4 Type S, Stagea 260RS, 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Howdy all,

I haven't forked out for a datalogging cable/software or ecu flashing gear yet. Was looking at the standard options of evoscan s/w, the evoscan 1.3U cable, modifying the OBDII cable as per the tutorial or openport 2 for flashing.

Then I saw this on the evoscan website...
http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-...pc-diagnostic-interfaces/evodroid7--evoscan-7

Now, I know it doesn't allow me to reflash the leggy's ecu, but as an overall package that provides good realtime diagnostics (don't have to fork out for and install heaps of gauges) as well as ability to log, plus a gucci android tablet with gps nav... is it just me or does this look the goods?

At the moment, I think I have found my chrissie present!

Open to the floor to school me on the pros/cons or their thoughts on this unit.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
I dont know that much but i have evoscan and ecu flash and use a 2.0 taxtrix cable ( didnot have to modify 2.0 cable to be able to reflash vr4 ecu) cost me $35 bucks evoscan with ecu flash free and $220 for 2.0 cable. Link ubove only looks like its good for logging.so all depends on what you want to do with it.

chardo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
richard
Drive
2000 type S, Manual and Recaro's
From what I can see, for about $220, you get the display and cable allowing you to data log, if you don't want to flash then it looks pretty good IMO.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
yep, gives you all the logging capability with the 1.3u cable and a nice interface. I THINK (but you should check) it can match up data between the log and gps so you can review data round a circuit corner by corner. Remember we have ABS and AYC sensors so you can look up Gforces and wheels speeds etc around a circuit....

STAGTR

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pete
Drive
99 Legnum VR4 Type S, Stagea 260RS, 11 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I bit the bullet and ordered one as my christmas present.

The orders are running late due to new logging cable power supply circuit delayed, should get it sometime in January.

Will post up my impressions when it arrives and I figure out how to use it effectively. Stay tuned...

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
Bit of a threadmine... sorry...
I just got one of these but only seem to be getting speedo, tacho, air intake temp..
Anyone successfully got the evodroid to give more info on the Legnums??
As a newb with evoscan software, any advice will be greatly appreciated!
cheers
Steve

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Thread mine. Did any1 get this to display all readings. I'm interested in getting 1 as would like a digital display and set it into my dash.

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4 5 spd Manual
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Project - Datsun 1600 Turbo rotary conv.
As much as i like the idea of being able to find out what my vehicle is doing (right and wrong), i am not keen to have to pay for things i should not have to.

It is obvious to me that EVOSCAN is capable of talking to android devices and as far as i can find, on here and on their site, this "evodroid" thing is the only way... :( Makes me so sad.

I have the offer for a new Samsung tablet for a very reasonable price and what i'd like to know, if anyone here has done it or knows how, is can i get it and adapt it to suit the Samsung tablet without paying for surplus goods?

I'll obviously need the cables and program too, that stuff i am happy to buy... just not the tablet and rigging they pack in with it...

Any knowledge or experience out there?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
On the other hand, how much time went into developing evoscan and then how much again to get it to work on an android device?

Should the company that makes their living from that stuff get money in return?

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Like I mentioned, happy to pay for the program and the cables, of course. Well worth the money.

As for the casing for the program, that is a cost I would incur for a product I won't need.
And it is a cost that people with the "windows" devices do not incur. At least it isn't as far as I can tell from their website.

It'd be like buying a salad roll simply to get a slice of beetroot...

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
I think he just wants to purchase the .apk file and run it on his own Android.

I too would want to do that. The tablet they use doesn't have a very good pixel quality. For the sake of $400-$500 you could run it on a Nexus 7 which has a far superior resolution.

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
I think he just wants to purchase the .apk file and run it on his own Android.

I too would want to do that. The tablet they use doesn't have a very good pixel quality. For the sake of $400-$500 you could run it on a Nexus 7 which has a far superior resolution.
Dead right mate :) That is pretty much what i am looking for. The unit they use is outdated and to pick up a samsung galaxy tablet, or nexus, or android... they're all GREAT quality these days and MORE than enough to run this program on and they are CHEAP!!!

They have put the work in and i will be more than willing to support them but.... not interested in the "full setup" as an only option.

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4
Hamish said:
To answer the last 3 questions above, it is too technical for you to set up on your own device. Android operating system was never designed for InCar kiosk mode. There are fundamental problems with Android as an android operating system. all the internal power event commands for your android rom would mean your phone logging would not turn on and off with the car, and it would probably not work easily because your usb events are incorrectly set, and would take you months to figure out and build your own custom rom. you are better off buying our prebuilt and preconfigured android 7inch FireHDX from our website. Our prebuild android devices run at high speed usb datalogging, and have all the power events programmed in. thanks.
Cheers,
Hamish.
So, It seems that this is the reason it is not commonly done. Not really to do with compatibility reasons more than the standard functions of the devices getting in the way of things. I am not curious is the same issues are found in Windows tablets? The Toshiba Encore 2 is only $149 online and SEEMS to be relatively easy to work with. I did read on here somewhere that a gent was running the aforementioned device with EvoScan.... I'll have to track him down and get a review :)

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
So, It seems that this is the reason it is not commonly done. Not really to do with compatibility reasons more than the standard functions of the devices getting in the way of things. I am not curious is the same issues are found in Windows tablets? The Toshiba Encore 2 is only $149 online and SEEMS to be relatively easy to work with. I did read on here somewhere that a gent was running the aforementioned device with EvoScan.... I'll have to track him down and get a review :)

So long as the windows tablet is running full windows (ie not RT) and has an x86 processor (ie. Atom, i3, i5, i7), then you'll be able to install .NET and Evoscan will work.

I have used ECUflash and Evoscan on a Surface Pro I borrowed from work.

REI600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ian
Drive
1996 Mazda Proceed 4x4

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube

I used Evoscan with my Encore (1) - worked great. As Bill said any non-rt Windows tab will work.

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
Hey guys, i am thinking about installing an andriod head unit like the carjoying or pyle PLDNAND621 (if i can find one in Australia) or similar. I am still doing some research so it would be great if anyone has any recommendations.

Do you think ecoscan would work with something like that? Would it just be as simple as installing the apk file?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hey guys, i am thinking about installing an andriod head unit like the carjoying or pyle PLDNAND621 (if i can find one in Australia) or similar. I am still doing some research so it would be great if anyone has any recommendations.

Do you think ecoscan would work with something like that? Would it just be as simple as installing the apk file?
Yeah but they're not selling or offering the APK are they?

Top Bottom