New VGA cooler problem

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Hey tech gurus!

I've installed an Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro to my HD4850 (whilst it says it fits...it's a bitch to install I found out!)

Anyway, it's installed and working to an extent, but I can't run any resolution greater than 1024x768 or the screen just goes blank. Monitor doesn't switch off or standby, just blank.

I do see some small artefacts happening even at 1024x768, so I'm assuming a power problem, but I followed the directions to the letter.

Has anyone installed one of these before?

Cheers.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
I haven't used one of those before, but it sounds like the cooler isn't contacting with the gpu/memory properly causing high temps.

Are you running Speedfan or RivaTuner to get the gpu temps?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Ati catalyst centre says the temps are around 26deg while just doing desktop stuff.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Maybe it isn't contacting it evenly or some other part isn't being cooled such as the VRM or Ram.

You may also have damaged the card when installing the cooler?

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I was super super careful and I've done a lot of computer modding/hardware installs before so I honestly doubt I've damaged anything.

Perhaps the cooler isn't contacting correctly, but there's really only one way for it to go on, hence why I thought a voltage problem...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Riva Tuner says a constant core temp of 27 deg.

A bit more research suggests the card was already faulty before the transplant. Heat may not have been the main issue behind the artefacts I was seeing before, but it was playing a part.

Time to get a new card...Any recommendations around the $300 mark?

djb160

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Dale
Drive
Legnum VR4 "Grimace"
Nissan Leaf
Nah, bugger 5000's unless you want to pay for lots of cool gadgetry like eyefinity etc. If you play at low resolution I'd go with a 4890, if you play at higher resolutions maybe a 275.

From what I've researched the AMD 4000's seem to be better priced and better FPS's at low res and at coping with higher AA settings. The Nvidia 200's seem more expensive but a bit better at higher res.

If you can find them for the right amount and you system can support them I'd vote for crossfiring a pair of 4950's. They seem to destroy all but the top cards.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
My reasoning for the 5000 series is that they have excellently low idle power draw. I myself have always owned nvidia cards, but if I had to purchase a card today it would be ATI. In fact, here is a list of cards I've owned:

TNT2
MX400
Ti4200
Ti4600
FX5800
6800GT x2
6600GS
7800GT x2
7950GX2
7600GS
8600GS x2
9800GT
GTX275

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
I run a 4870... its only the 512MB version too.. but it will take anything I throw at it and still maintain above 30fps on any game so far including bad company 2.

I have seen rigs with x2 in crossfire... its very impressive. However the 5xx series is where the REAL power is; AMD redesigned some of the major components and I have heard they are a completely different card, so much bang for $$$.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Scott: Yeah I did, it wouldn't display at all if I didn't do that.

I did a bit more mucking around and it turns out the main output of the card is faulty. I changed the default out to the other output and it works beautifully.

Thanks for all your help/suggestions :D

I'll be getting another card later, but for now I'm running Mass Effect 2 smooth as silk so I'm happy :D

Precedence

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 Silver Legnum VR4
My reasoning for the 5000 series is that they have excellently low idle power draw. I myself have always owned nvidia cards, but if I had to purchase a card today it would be ATI. In fact, here is a list of cards I've owned:

TNT2
MX400
Ti4200
Ti4600
FX5800
6800GT x2
6600GS
7800GT x2
7950GX2
7600GS
8600GS x2
9800GT
GTX275

i have a pair of 5770's and i think they are brilliant cards. still yet to do the benchmarks but i would be intersted to see what they compare up to.

any whoo, with everything on bfbc2 on full bar smoke effects (medium... hate them!), 8x AA, 16x AF i am getting a solid 60-80fps.

Top Bottom