Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
A mate just sent me this:
http://www.fumoto.com.au/info.htm

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Install this valve and you can drain your engine oil without tools and without mess. Just lift the lever of this solid brass ball valve and give it a quarter turn to open it. Return the lever to its original position and it locks closed, double sealed to prevent leakage. The Fumoto Oil Drain Valve is made of corrosion resistant forged brass and stainless steel. The ball valve design provides a straight flow for efficient drainage and a perfect seal when closed. Frozen drain plug and stripped threads are eliminated forever. Drawing samples for oil analysis is as easy as one-two-three.
valveanimation.gif

nseries_sml.jpg

Sells for around $47 (+$8 Shipping Australia wide).
I assume the "Mitsubishi" model would fit? Anyone confirm (14mm?)

For Dawso :p
FOR EXTREME CONDITIONS
If you are using the Engine Oil Drain Valve on off-road vehicles and do not have a sump guard covering the Fumoto Drain Valve, it is recommended that a hose clip or cable tie be used for added safety and security. The hose clip or cable tie will firmly keep the lever in the locked position at all times.
These can be purchased at hardware stores.
valvewithclip_150.jpg
hoseclip_100.jpg

Please note, in normal driving conditions, the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve's double locking mechanism cannot unintentionally open due to vibration or shock.

!!!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Hmmmmmm, looks dangerous lol

Edit - Looks a little safer with that clip on :)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I guess out sump plug is point backwards at 45 degree's kind of. So it could be used... but is putting a socket on the sump plug really $47 worth of trouble?

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Depends on how often you change your oil Hugh. I've thought about getting one, they make life a heap easier, you just need to make sure you warm the oil up first as it takes AGES to squeeze out of that little hole.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I guess it would save getting oil on you fingers when doing the final turn of the sump plug.

G

Unregistered
Or accidentally dropping the plug into the drain pan and then having to fish it out again.

However I can see a real benefit for those who have the underbody tray installed.

The oil has a tendency to curl back under and drip into the tray when the flow slows down. This valve would extend the drain hole out past the tray edge a bit.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Or do what I do.

Get a dremel out (or a jigsaw with a fine bit) and cut the hole out for your oil filter in your stone tray :D

G

Unregistered
Or do what I do.

Get a dremel out (or a jigsaw with a fine bit) and cut the hole out for your oil filter in your stone tray :D

Thankfully the previous owner already did that for me. But they haven't quite cut out enough, so I'll remove some more when I get a chance. However I'll need to reinforce it somehow as the hole makes the tray a bit flimsy. I'll probably cut a piece out where the drain plug is too, so stop the clingy drip back issue.

What would make this valve device really cool is if it had a down turned outlet, like a tap. But I can see a possible problem with slow draining and glugging if that was the case.

big vik VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Victor
Drive
mazda SP20, wanting a Galant
ok so i'm real interested in this thing for when i get my legnum, what would you say could go wrong or any problems with it???
Cheers

G

Unregistered
Well, worst case is that all your oil leaks out while you are driving along and your engine seizes, destroying itself and locking up causing you to crash at high speed.

Best case is, it leaks out overnight and leaves a big pool of oil all over the garage floor that you thankfully discover before attempting to start the car.

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
What would make this valve device really cool is if it had a down turned outlet, like a tap. But I can see a possible problem with slow draining and glugging if that was the case.

The "nipple" variants (second pic in first post) are designed for hoses to be attached, if your car is too low for a pan without jack stands, you could stick the pan next to the car instead of underneath it.

big vik VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Victor
Drive
mazda SP20, wanting a Galant
well the second one looks a bit better dont you think and looks a bit better quality then the first one

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I agree, it is a good idea but i think i would rather spend the extra few minutes for piece of mind. Could even do an oil change for the price. (y)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I strongly recommend not using something like this the first few times you change your oil, as you have no way of knowing how well it was serviced previously. Its not uncommon to find gunked up oil deposits in the bottom of the sump which may take a couple of services to flush completely, and if you only have a very narrow opening for oil to drain through you'll clog up your fancy drain tap and you won't clear the hardened deposits out of your engine.

However once you're certain you have nothing but lovely clean (although obviously used and deteriorated) oil dropping out when servicing, I don't see any problem with such a device if you feel a burning desire for it in your life :)

G

Unregistered
It's a pity that the real mess maker is when you remove the filter. The sump plug is the least of your worries. :p

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I don't see the point. It's not hard to undo the sump plug bolt in the first place. Plus, if you do happen to drop the nut into the oil pan, just use a magnetic pickup tool which is a good tool to have in the workshop in the first place.

It just looks like more to go wrong.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
if you do happen to drop the nut into the oil pan, just use a magnetic pickup tool which is a good tool to have in the workshop in the first place.

I just use a latex glove to get it out, as i also fiddle around with the oil to feel for grit.

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
I just use a latex glove to get it out, as i also fiddle around with the oil to feel for grit.

Personally i find the easiest way is to undo the nut from the top side , if that makes sense..

Put your hand above the nut and undo it from there.

Generally oil wont flow upwards onto your hand , unless you are servicing your car somewhere on the moon etc..

Top Bottom