Oil change made easy

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I use the wrench just to crack it, and do the rest by fingers. Once I reach the end of the thread I hold it in with one finger on the end as I undo the last couple of turns, then pull it away and up quickly as the oil pours out. Been doing this for years and haven't dropped the plug since the first time I tried it. Just as well really as its damn hard picking up an aluminium sump plug with a magnet... :(

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
It's a pity that the real mess maker is when you remove the filter. The sump plug is the least of your worries. :p

oh the joys of my relocated oil filter :) sits nicely behind the passenger side foglight - side on, easy to drain before completely removing it.

G

Unregistered
Sounds good Josh, do you have pics or a link to any more info? Is there any pressure drop?

The worst one I've ever seen was on a Honda Civic, the filter was on the back of the engine near the top! You have to get fully under the car and reach up in the bay to get it, then it leaks dirty oil all over the engine, driveshaft.. everything . Stupidest thing I've even seen.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
The worst one I've ever seen was on a Honda Civic, the filter was on the back of the engine near the top! You have to get fully under the car and reach up in the bay to get it, then it leaks dirty oil all over the engine, driveshaft.. everything . Stupidest thing I've even seen.

Been there, done that... lol

I also had an AE86 Corolla and if I remember correctly the filter was *right* next to the exhaust manifold, and it was impossible to get the filter off without brushing your hand against the manifold somehow. My friend who had an AE86 changed his oil once by himself and after that he always let a mechanic do it. I learned from his experience and never tried it!

Top Bottom