Outside temperature sender...

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Just a minor bit of advice... if you're ever taking your front end apart and don't know what this is:
S5004473.jpg

this is the outside temperature sender and effects the climate control. So don't do what I did and leave it floating around next to your radiator! The aircon goes absolutely nuts! It needs to be in a low well vented place away from any radiators.:)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i've always wondered what that was...

my guess was either airbag or out. temp sensor..

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
doesnt the airbag sensor look just like that?

Could look like that; but this is definitely the temp sender as my outside temp went from 43 down to the usual 33 degrees after I repositioned it down here to where it should be.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I have mine mounted at the bottom of my air box, I haven't had any issues with my air con, but I only use mind at either 17C on fan speed one, or turn the fan off and let air flow through the car naturally at speed with whatever temp I want

G

Unregistered
is anyone elses sensor a little off? mines on average about 2C off at any given time. it used to be about 5-7C off and then I reset my ecu and now its a little closer.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Yea mines a couple out when i drive past the clock/temp sign around the place

G

Unregistered
Mine seems to be spot on. www.bom.gov.au to check your local temp

Here is mine on the way to work today just before 7am.
Pic taken with mobile so poor quailty.

And I hit boost cut for the first time as it was -2 outside.

Image037.jpg

Image032.jpg

Image034.jpg

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Move to Brisbane. It was a nice warm 6 degrees at about 6 in the morning yesterday in the Redlands.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
Not at Logan, Ice doesn't form on your car when it's 6 degrees.....

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
It was -4 in Tamworth yesterday morning but -6 at my place....... no boost cut though :D (Gotta love an EBC, no boost cut)

In saying that, we also reach over 40 in summer most days.

In never snows here so we don't win on that front either.

It never rains either, come to think of it :ROFLMAO:

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Hmmm, mine seems to be in the correct spot but was telling me it was 27 outside about 30 mins ago where as BOM says it should be 22. The car had been sitting in the sun for about 5 mins, wonder if that has an effect...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The one in my FTO (same unit as the VR4) is always 1-2 degrees warmer than it should be. Never really worried me...

G

Unregistered
Move to Brisbane. It was a nice warm 6 degrees at about 6 in the morning yesterday in the Redlands.
Yea don't rub it in, moved here (Western sydney) a year and a half ago (for work)from Brisbane and yes Brisbane temps are a lot nicer all round.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Mine is always inaccurate while the car is stationary or when i first start it (i assume it picks up engine heat while stationary) but as soon as i start driving around it goes to what it should be....

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hmmm, mine seems to be in the correct spot but was telling me it was 27 outside about 30 mins ago where as BOM says it should be 22. The car had been sitting in the sun for about 5 mins, wonder if that has an effect...
Absolutely - obviously if you have direct sunlight on the sensor it will heat it up, but just the car body sitting in the sun will heat up the air around it enough to affect the sensor readings.

pu-11-me said:
(i assume it picks up engine heat while stationary) but as soon as i start driving around it goes to what it should be....
That's how it's designed, yes - when you have a stationary car you have (more-or-less) stationary pockets of air, so air heated by the engine will definitely affect the sensor's readings. If you want to eliminate this you'll have to make some kind of shroud for it, so engine-heated air can't get to it, which will probably also require relocation. I can't see a really pressing need to do such a thing, though.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
It was -4 in Tamworth yesterday morning but -6 at my place....... no boost cut though :D (Gotta love an EBC, no boost cut)

In saying that, we also reach over 40 in summer most days.

In never snows here so we don't win on that front either.

It never rains either, come to think of it :ROFLMAO:

Send some of that cool weather up here dude! We'll give you some rain in return when the wet starts.:D

G

Unregistered
Just a minor bit of advice... if you're ever taking your front end apart and don't know what this is:
S5004473.jpg

this is the outside temperature sender and effects the climate control. So don't do what I did and leave it floating around next to your radiator! The aircon goes absolutely nuts! It needs to be in a low well vented place away from any radiators.:)
Does anyone know the part number for this ?
My reading are way off so I want a new one.

Top Bottom