Polyurethane Bushing kit - Hyper Flex System master kit

G

Unregistered
There isn't a flat for the spanner and the rubber boot is bonded to a steel case which pushes over the joint rather than being held on by a circlip or spring type fitting. You would almost certainly damage the boot if you try to remove it and they can be a pain to source from the dealer. A UK member had to wait about 2 months for some.

G

Unregistered
There isn't a flat for the spanner and the rubber boot is bonded to a steel case which pushes over the joint rather than being held on by a circlip or spring type fitting. You would almost certainly damage the boot if you try to remove it and they can be a pain to source from the dealer. A UK member had to wait about 2 months for some.

Absolutely. The ARB droplinks do have flats, but these ones don't. I too used the jacking method and a torque wrench.

Good to hear that you're making progress. How difficult were the bushings to fit? did you need a press, or are they a 2-piece design?

G

Unregistered
Man they are tight, when I used the press at work they needed a lot of force and when they moved they made a massive pop noise every now and then, scary at first.
There is the inner metal shaft, rubber, then the metal ring on the outside that hold it all in, so metal on metal, on the edges.

G

Unregistered
Dose anyone know how to tighten up the upper arm balljoint nut as the thread just keeps on spinning???
Thanks for the relpys, I ended up jacking it up a bit to do it, but also one side had a small nick in one of the threads which i had to clean up which then let me do up the nut.

How do you feel about the quality of the product and overall value-for-money?
Quality of the bushes is great, very good.
Value for money, well it fixed the squeeky front end so I'm very happy.
I had to buy some tools to do the job so it all adds up and it took way longer than I thought it would to do, as a one man job.
If you don't have the time or tools then pay someone to do it.

Front suspension bushes
NewbushesinVR4secondlotofpics021.jpg

Remove the shock and spring togeather by removing these 3 nuts and the lower part of the fork/shock. (I did one side at a time) The jack in the boot comes in handy as a second jack too.
NewbushesinVR4secondlotofpics065.jpg

These 2 bushes get replaced, now use a spring compessors before taking the middle nut off.
NewbushesinVR4secondlotofpics067.jpg

The upper arm bushes
NewbushesinVR4secondlotofpics0242.jpg

NewbushesinVR4secondlotofpics040.jpg

NewbushesinVR4secondlotofpics041.jpg

Lower control arm.
I ended up buying new lower control arms( from ebay to suit a eclipse) so I have a new arm, stock middle bush and ball joint, and then added my polyurethane bush to the inner ends.
NewbushesinVR4secondlotofpics077.jpg

NewbushesinVR4secondlotofpics103.jpg

NewbushesinVR4secondlotofpics104.jpg

Thats it for the front bushes.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Emanuel,

Looks good, does the car feel heaps stiffer?

How much did they sting you for the bushes delivered and do they all fit?

Cheers,
brent

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Emanuel.. GREAT PICS!! another one for ozvr4..

i'm pretty sure from here on alot of vr4 owners will definitely buy the eclipse bushing kit from US.. :)

also with the old control arms.. wanna try and send it to a suspension shop like fulcrum or performance workshop.. maybe they can come up with a way to replace the ball joint with a better higher quality ones..

G

Unregistered
Emanuel,

Looks good, does the car feel heaps stiffer?

How much did they sting you for the bushes delivered and do they all fit?

Cheers,
brent
All up the bush master set cost AU$237.97 with postage.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECLI...ryZ33583QQihZ018QQitemZ280146010544QQtcZphoto

And the lower control arms cost AU$121.40 all up, thats with postage for both font ones. (2 Lower CONTROL ARM Ball Joint ECLIPSE GALANT 94 95 99)is what it said on ebay.

Only done a short drive so far and I havn't driven it for over a week so its a bit hard to tell but the ride is nice and firm and not too bumpy so yea thay are good.
EDIT: The car feels great nice and firm with a nice feel to the steering as I was pushing it hard through some nice sweeping corners. Upgraded swaybars are still on my shopping list.

The rears will be done later.

G

Unregistered
Sounds good! So, are the Energy Suspension bushes a 1 piece design that needs pressing in, or are they split?

G

Unregistered
Bottom front arm is 3 piece and top arm 1 piece in my kit

G

Unregistered
Just to update, as I've taken the car on some bumpy roads now, well it feels like the car is lowerd but it has stock suspension so it is picking up a lot of the small bumps, maybe I should have only done just the control arms and not the suspension bushes as well?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Emanuel, how does it feel while driving? can you feel the road more? does it make the car rattle? even just a little or alot? how about your cornering, feel any difference? lastly, how does it feel after getting into a pot hole? not that you would go through one..

G

Unregistered
Emanuel, how does it feel while driving? can you feel the road more? does it make the car rattle? even just a little or alot? how about your cornering, feel any difference? lastly, how does it feel after getting into a pot hole? not that you would go through one..
Feels good when driving, probably less understeer, more direct.
It does make inside the car rattle sometimes but usallaly only a little bit.
Cornering is better.
Pot holes not much different, just feels like the car is lowerd a bit.

I am still getting used to the feel of it so I'll see if I feel any different about them in another week or 2.

I could also change the suspension bushes back to stock and see how that feels.

G

Unregistered
Sounds promising so far then.

The next question (which is perhaps for a separate thread, but still worth thinking about here) is what bushes/mounts are still left to replace.

Obviously there's still some suspension bushes that need replacement after using the ES kit, this is perhaps where the prothane kit has an advantage.

I note too that (currently) there doesn't seem to be an option for replacing things like the subframe mounting bushes (either front or rear) or the Diff carrier mounts. I'm working on this myself at the moment, there's a couple of guys breaking Legnums in the UK at the moment so I'm hoping to get a set of subframes from them so I can measure up what's in there and if anything else will fit.

Hopefully soon we'll have a reference list that people can refer to if they want to de-jelly their Legnum!

G

Unregistered
I now have a set of used (Very used!!) subframes sat in my garage. I haven't had time to do anything with them yet. The frames are from a higher mileage car and it's fair to say that they've seen some action!

Anyway, when I get a little time I'll take a closer look at 'em and see what's what. :)

G

Unregistered
Emanuel - Have you changed the rear bushings yet? do they fit?

G

Unregistered
Emanuel - Have you changed the rear bushings yet? do they fit?
Uumm no not yet I've been a bit slack I'll let you know when I do install them. Are you in a rush to know?

G

Unregistered
Uumm no not yet I've been a bit slack I'll let you know when I do install them. Are you in a rush to know?

I'm not in a desperate rush but I wouldn't mind knowing. I'm thinking about getting the Prothane flavour of this kit (contains more bushings, apparently and most of them are two piece, rather than single piece press fit), but I am keen to know how different size-wise the rear bushings are.

G

Unregistered
did you ever get round to fitting the rears?

Top Bottom