Power steering cooler pipe alternatives

G

Unregistered
So after doing some work on my car today I noticed that my power steering cooler pipe has been squashed alittle from when the car has bottomed out somewhere. So just wondering what everyone is doing as a alternative

Car does have a oil cooler and a transmission cooler fittee so there isnt the greatest room in the engine bay

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
+1, after installing my intercooler my power steering cooler (if you can call it that) is looking a little worse for wear. Would a small oil cooler be overkill?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
7d4f5b64.jpg
ust a note, dont install it there if you're planning on doing the same thing..

I'll be moving mine in front of the driver side wheel..

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Placed mine here, centrally, vertical and mounted to the condenser. Seems fine so far but then again I don't go engaging in skid pan days etc. which seem to kill pumps pretty well.
IMG_19524981285979.jpeg

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
My big half litre cooler is lower than volks and is cool to the touch always. The stock cooler was terrible and was too hot to touch after short drives. I replaced mine because I pinched a hole in my stock one with a pipe bender Lol.

Used a tranny cooler from a camry or something at the wreckers for $5 and snipped off the stock cooler and connected hoses to a portion of the old cooler to this one with the hoses that came with the wrecker unit

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Why is that Christian?

my setup is like this

front of car
Intercooler
3" gap
oil cooler
2" gap
a/c condenser
1" gap
radiator
14" fan (pull type)
engine

in my setup, even though I have a 14" fan, its not coolidng down the radiator as much as it should,

not sure if you have checked your PS cooler after a normal drive, it does get hot.. hot enough that you cant touch it.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
No I haven't touched it yet, I might have to get an aftermarket one I think.
Wow even with an oil cooler you still have issues! I thought that would have dropped your radiator temps.
Is there any other factory coolers other than the camry anyone can suggest? Mitsubishi perhaps!

G

Unregistered
I think ill need a slim one to squeeze beside the oil cooler. What about them long slim ones on ebay there around $30

Also seen a ford falcon one I ebay but not sure if it will fit $25 not alot to waste if it doesn't

G

Unregistered
Looking at these

Attachments

• $_3.JPG
    $_3.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 19
  • $(KGrHqVHJE4FDMh--20WBRfMlBD2)!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqVHJE4FDMh--20WBRfMlBD2)!~~60_3.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 18
  • $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 18
  • !B1W!lbw!mk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEw)p!7!BOBMeHbZWCIQ~~_35.JPG
    !B1W!lbw!mk~$(KGrHqYOKiYEw)p!7!BOBMeHbZWCIQ~~_35.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 16

battery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
b
Drive
a car
Some of these massive things you guys are running are way overkill, you want it to get hot. If you can touch it then the lubrication properties won't be as good as it can be at higher temps.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Few of us ended up with these epic coolers as part of an intercooler kit, so we fit what we got.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I worked this out before but cant tell you off the top of my head. Ill let u know later....

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Sorry I thought that you were talking about the transmission cooler fittings. But the factory pipe/hose size is the same diameter as the power steering. The factory fitting has a 12x1mm pitch thread with a 37deg taper which corresponds with either JIC or AN hydraulic fittings. Tried to get a nomenclature book of the Pirtek rep that comes in to work but he forgot. Haven't searched the web for specs yet.Does this help?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Number 4 J.I.C- Joint International Convention if anyone wonders what that stands for.

Top Bottom