Power Steering Leak

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Emanuel and I found I have what looks to be a leaking power steering hose right near my firewall, even though my fluid level hasn't dropped :confused:. So I decided to bleed the power steering to get the air out and get the real fluid level and top it up for the time being before I can get it fixed. Luckily the old man can make the hoses no drama.

So when I took the p/s fluid bottle cap off and started the car...you should've seen the bubbling that was happening in the bottle! I've never seen it before, air's definitely getting in somewhere...unless this is normal for our cars (but I somehow doubt that).

Here's a quick vid I took with my phone and a torch because it was pitch black lol

[URL="
MOV0003A.jpg

Can anyone confirm my thoughts that this is caused by air bubbles?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Paul, are you sure its the P/S fluid, cause you mentioned near the firewall, unless you mean side firewall, im pretty sure you know that the P/S reservoir is driver side, just in front of the engine mount..

also about the possible issue, when i bled my PS Fluid, it sort of bubbled but went back to normal after a few minutes..

try to look for gravitational fluid drops (man that sounds so smart).. usually rubber hoses tend to break first, but see if there's any pinhole sized holes caused by stone chips on the aluminium pipes, its possible that stone/rocks bounced off from the belts then on to the pipe..

G

Unregistered
christian i think he has the right filler bottle, looks exactly like the ps one.
im 95% sure the bubbles are not normal, just go over all power steering hoses.
there is'nt much more you can do but investigate where the leak is.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Oh it's definitely the P/S fluid bottle.

I have found what appears to be a leak from the P/S line that goes under/near the steering rack. But the weird thing is that the liquid looked more like clutch fluid, but there's no clutch fluid leaks anywhere.

G

Unregistered
could be a mix of dirt and fluid changing the colour of the ps fluid...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
That's definitely what I was thinking. I'll do more investigation this weekend...I'll get under there with the gurney and degreaser.

Cheers all!

Top Bottom