Red AYC and Check engine lights help!

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
So i changed over my spark plugs and leads and since then there have been a few problems. Immediately after starting the car there was a fair amount of white smoke blowing. Im hoping though that thats from the bit of oil that was on the plugs, havent checked it since though cause im a bit worried about driving the car.

Bigger concern is that the red AYC light came on. I turned the car off and turned it back on, the light turned on as normal but then came back on and stayed on and its still the same situation.

Next thing, leave the driveway and the check engine light comes on but it seems to turn on and off periodically, normally turns on when i brake, slow down and im idling and turns off again once i set off.

Could i have not put things back together properly? Maybe left some plugs or vacuum lines not properly attatched? But even so I dont understand why the red AYC light would come on. I only bought the car about a month ago and the AYC fluid was bled 3 times due to a problem that wasnt even related (scraping guard mistaken as AYC groaning).

I havent done anything else to the car other than new oil, oil stabiliser and an HKS air filter can someone please help.
Thanks, worried dan.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would think that the red AYC light is unrelated. First of all recheck all hoses and connections, make sure you haven't split one or something. Once you've fixed that and are able to drive it without the engine light coming on, I would then look into the ayc light (if it is still there)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hhhmm.. your car's a manual, only reason I could think of with the AYC going off, was if you're TCL canister's got a crack.. but like i said yours is a manual so you wouldn't have it..

loose vacuum hoses?!

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
Im gonna go check all hoses and plugs now and reset ecu. What exactly does AYC light mean? and can the car be driven with it on?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
red AYC light means that the AYC is turned off..

not recommended to drive around with the red AYC light on..

have you tried pulling out the error code? find out if any of the WA guys are willing to let you borrow or scan your car for errors..

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i found that i forgot to reattatch the 2 clamps on the 2 vacuum lines on the 110 degree elbow, waiting for ecu to reset so ill see what happens. Were having a meet on sunday so if it hasnt fixed ill at least nurse the car to the meet point and see if someone can have a look at it.

wouldnt be such a big issue except i went to start my alfa today, wouldnt start. battery absolutely toast. sourced another from a mate and it started up with a lil petrol down the carbie. then no clutch! full pressure in brakes, clutch master was recently worked over i think its slave :(. not a very good day for me cars today.
Thanks for the quick replies

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
hang on if AYC is turned off, why is it such a big issue to drive it? does it work as a normal diff or is it something serious...

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
I reset ecu and tightened checked all hoses and plugs, problem hasnt gone away. also i think my brake disc is warped cause it grinds on and off under braking could i have done something wrong while doing the plugs?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
because issue with AYC is the very last thing you want to happen..

it would be almost impossible to get them checked/diagnosed here in oz.. dont even start with the parts ;)

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Oh Dan, what the hell are you doing? :mad::mad::mad:

Elfe has got everything to get the error code... but how do you get your car to Elfe?! Check all hoses again!!!

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
who is elfe? would he be going on sunday? ill go and triple check everything in the morning, been a bit of a crappy day ill probs just get angry at something

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Elfe Automotive in Bayswater, he is just the mechanic of 4 or 5 of us and he is doing a great job! We checked mine when I was there, everything ok instead of the O2 Sensor was playing up a bit... bought one of the cheap Repco NGK for $29(?!?) and replaced them. Fuel Consumption dropped from 13-14 l/100km down to 11! Well spent money!

If you need Elfe's phone number, check our WA thread or the automatic problem thread from madhav, I think I've seen his number there too.

Hope everything turns out well and you'll be there on Sunday!

Edit: 9272 7055

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
Reset ecu again and checked all lines/plugs, lights stayed on. check engine light only comes on while braking or idling. Car is going back to South Freo Auto imports where i bought it tomoro (hes an auto electrician too) so hell have a look over it. If he cant solve the problem ill give elfe's a call and try and get it looked at. hope i can still make it to sunday's meet

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
Update: check engine light has disappeared.

I pulled 6 error codes from my car, can anyone help explain them for me?

Engine -14 Throttle Position Sensor System
AYC -41 TPS system (short or break)
ABS -23 Wheel-Speed Sensor (RR) System
-24 Wheel-Speed Sensor (RL) System
-15 Wheel-Speed Sensor System (Abnormal Signal Output)
-21 Wheel-Speed Sensor (FR) System

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
possibly your TPS connector is not attach properly..

did you remove or adjust your TPS from the plenum/throttle body when you changed your plugs?

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
not exactly sure what TPS is...

I took off as little as possible considering i had a friend helping who could peel back the plenum while i swapped the plugs. I disconnected the throttle cable from the back of the plenum but didnt actually disconnect the throttle cable

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
possible that the TPS sensor got mis-aligned while your friend was pulling the plenum forward..

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
drove a fair distance this morning with my girlfriend following to leave the car at auto electrics, 100m from the place all warning lights disappear! took it for a quick fang and ayc working perfectly and everything seems fine. ABS was still working despite the error codes so i left it for now. just made my girlfriend drive 45-60mins for no reason :p

Top Bottom