Reliable, easy to maintain, 12.5 sec daily. What are my options!?!

G

Unregistered
What is their reliability like post 100,000k's?

I personally couldn't tell you first hand as I haven't made it yet, however I do know of one with 180,000 on it and it has yet to have a failure of any kind. Having said that, just like any other non turbo, 4 cylinder family shopping hatch, it will require parts to be replaced at some stage of its life.

My point about the Chaser is directed towards its reliability. With easy, regular maintenance (like any car - oils/filters etc), failures are very few and far between.

The fact that it lights up both 265's on the rear (and it's auto) has nothing to do with why I bought one. ;)

G

Unregistered

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Anything with a 1JZ or 2JZ will keep you happy in the pants and in the wallet :D

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Toyota Starlet GT with TD04 upgrade kit?
Pretty cheap to do, & plenty of people seem to be running low 12s with them.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
that civic probably would run 12's, I have a friend with a NA b18c that does low 13's, if he wants any quicker then he has to add a turbo. only thing is you gotta curl up into a ball to fit into them and with lowered suspension they are far from comfortable.

anything with a 1 or 2j will get you shitloads of power without shitloads of money. i have read about plenty of supra's making 700hp without changing engine internals.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Wow that one from Chef looks pretty good, I'd be happy with that!

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Startlet hey? Hmmm.... Are they easy to maintain? Reliable?

Thanks the the info on the later model chasers... will have to do a little
more investigating.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Fast, reliable, easy to maintain and daily driver usually don't go together in the one sentence ;)

Drag strip monsters generally have 2 Achilles heels - the engine and the gear box.

Therefore, buy something that is strong and reliable in both engine and box.

This helps you eliminate cars like WRXs (which can run 12's but you always worry that the box will go bang), rotaries (demonly quick down the strip but have you seen the cost of a Wankel rebuild?), and highly strung small engined cars that need a truck load of money, revs and/or boost to go that fast.

You've also stated that you want decent handling.

So, fast, reliable, reasonable maintenance, handling and strong motor and box? If you wanted to stay with a Jap ride, twin turbo Supra FTW.

JZ engine and Getrag box are renowned for being bullet proof. 12.5 seconds? Can be done with the hand brake on! There are countless examples of Supra's running way faster than 12.5 seconds and making well over 500HP on stock internals.

Supra parts and modding is generally bolt on and much cheaper than the Nissan equivalent (GT-R). Being RWD, there's also less stress on the drivetrain on launch and when hurtling down the quarter.

I also understand your aversion to the whole bogan car ride so the Supra definitely fits the bill. Otherwise, XR6T or supercharged / turbo charged Commonwhores can also crack into the 12's without too much sweat.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Fast, reliable, easy to maintain and daily driver usually don't go together in the one sentence ;)

Drag strip monsters generally have 2 Achilles heels - the engine and the gear box.

Therefore, buy something that is strong and reliable in both engine and box.

This helps you eliminate cars like WRXs (which can run 12's but you always worry that the box will go bang), rotaries (demonly quick down the strip but have you seen the cost of a Wankel rebuild?), and highly strung small engined cars that need a truck load of money, revs and/or boost to go that fast.

You've also stated that you want decent handling.

So, fast, reliable, reasonable maintenance, handling and strong motor and box? If you wanted to stay with a Jap ride, twin turbo Supra FTW.

JZ engine and Getrag box are renowned for being bullet proof. 12.5 seconds? Can be done with the hand brake on! There are countless examples of Supra's running way faster than 12.5 seconds and making well over 500HP on stock internals.

Supra parts and modding is generally bolt on and much cheaper than the Nissan equivalent (GT-R). Being RWD, there's also less stress on the drivetrain on launch and when hurtling down the quarter.

I also understand your aversion to the whole bogan car ride so the Supra definitely fits the bill. Otherwise, XR6T or supercharged / turbo charged Commonwhores can also crack into the 12's without too much sweat.

Great post! You think there is much of a difference between the supras and the chasers though? Handling wise? Similar weight I'd imagine. Why the supra over the chaser in your opinion?

-T8-

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tate
Drive
WRX CSE5, 7g galant
My mates k24 civic ran a 12.4... Really reliable, but he had to sacrafice air con and power steering...

Get an s14 :) easy power figures..
I'm all for supra's and rx7's too but surely they cost as much to keep running as a vr4..

STI??? Parts are everywhere

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
True with the twin turbo v8, plenty of power to make there, just don't like the whole bogan class ride... Had a lx ss torana hatch and that's enough for me...

Will do more research I think... Only prob is that it's exam time, must study!!!

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
The 1JZ-GTE was also used in the Toyota Soarers, if you're a fan of the styling then they are a good reliable car (go for a late model, single turbo, manual VVTI if possible). The 1J is a great powerplant.

My other suggestion would be a 20B Mazda Cosmo. Drinks petrol like anything but with a few decent mods should see the 2.0L twin turbo wankel engine produce ~300rwkw. And with good porting it will sound like an animal!

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Good thing about soarers is they ride the waves real well when you take them out on open water. :p

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
No one ever said they didn't suffer from "R33 syndrome" ;)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
why not wait a bit for the C35 laurel to be availble

-looks like a chaser
-rb25det NEO
-nissan part interchangabilty

clearly on obvisous choice haha. thats my next car if i dont choose an S chassis (read: silvia)

edit: in stock form it wont be much, but VL commo block, turbo kit and hello 300rwkw's and bucket loads of torque...not too mention that delicious RB exhaust note

http://www.iputinwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/c35laurel_meisters1_01.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/baboonass/IMG_4184.jpg
http://www.iputinwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/c35laurel_meisters1_02.jpg

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
That '348' car has a little 4 cylinder engine in it. I was really sad when I read that.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I'd argue that the Supra is NOT a no-bogan car. Not based on the ones I've seen around here.

Chaser all the way, but then I like subtle.

Top Bottom