Removing BOVs

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
Is anyone not running a BOV in their VR4? (removed and blocked piping)

I've seen a couple of posts here and there warning people no to do it becuse the pressure stall on the turbo's may cause dammage.

I have talked to a couple of mechanics about this in the past and had a mixed reaction, some say that it will F**K up our turbo, others say that it doesn't make a difference in turbo life span.

I had a lanced GSR before my leggy and after the factory BOV packed up i just removed it and plugged all of the piping, a few stall issues for the first few drives but after that it was fine. I did about 80,000km with it out and had the turbo checked a few times with no sign of dammage. This was on a hi-flow turbo running 16 - 19psi

Anyway, just putting it out there, any suggestions, experiences, feedback would be great as i am thinking about removing mine as it leaks a little, well allot i think, i can actually hear it from inside the car under acc.

Cheers

Adrian

G

Unregistered
i personaly wouldnt do it but its up to you bud, people have very mixed opinions bout this..

G

Unregistered
Be safe and just get a Evo MR BOV as they are metal and have a stronger spring. As the stock on is plactic.

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
I kinda like the sound though, thats why i'm thinking of not replacing it

G

Unregistered
well i think car makers put bovs on for a reason, dunno its up to the person who owns the car in the end.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
the mighty VL turbo was released without a BOV. (for a little side information)

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
Got an Apexi BOV on mine for over a year and the only difference I notice is a slightly better response from the turbo's and the smile on my face when it vents the air with a nice sssss.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
if it leaks, get rid of it. And from what i've heard best idea would be to put another one on.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Someone wants FLUTTER!

Gobble gobble gobble gobble

LOL

Seriously, its up to you - there is always arguments for and against, but as our turbo's are steel wheel'd I see there shouldnt be too many issues - as said not all factory cars come out with a BOV - its more of an emissions thing than anything ;)

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
My car came with an aftermarket Greddy BoV, and it's leaking. Makes a massive gasping noise on acceleration, and when i got under the car and stuck my hand on it, it was sucking in air like a mofo.
Waiting on new one from nengun...
But it would seem that the amount of money I save from buying from nengun is negated several times by the amount of money i'm spending on fuel at the moment because of the vacuum/boost leak :mad:
Might take it off til the new one arives !

Leggs

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adrian
Drive
98 Legnum
Andy,

If you beat me to it let me know how it goes, i'm assuming it will drive like a pig for a day or so.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Andy, I think Josh (Frozen) had similar issue before.. but as far as i know he's just tightened up the screw?!?

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Yeah tried all that :p.
Had it checked out and told it was falling apart, new one should be coming soon.
I don't have anything to block it off!
Off topic; What size flange do i need to be able to plumb it back in to the intake!?

G

Unregistered
as many have said, if it leaks replace it. If it doesnt then leave it.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
something like 32 or 34 mm i think.. you say sucking... you did block off your recirc pipe with a plug right? :)

G

Unregistered
I have talked to a couple of mechanics about this in the past and had a mixed reaction, some say that it will F**K up our turbo, others say that it doesn't make a difference in turbo life span.

What about other parts of the car, in particular the throttle body? Could the extra pressure when its closed bend or warp the valve? Or should we only be worrying about it after a turbo upgrade?

I'm not sure if the turbo's would even be effected. You have a pressure drop from the intercooler that gives you a little pressure to play with, not to mention the pressure drop-off from the decrease in throttle.

Or is it a simple case of causing turbulence in the exit of the intercooler. That once under throttle again would right its self eventually?

Top Bottom