Replacement bulbs/globes (headlights, tail lights & everything in-between)

G

Unregistered
wow, good job! this could come in handy when i get my legnum :)

G

Unregistered
Series 2 Eye level brake light (3): W16W or 921 (also T15 fitment, but a standard T15 globe is lower power)
I want to re-light the high-mounted brake light with LEDs. Can anyone recommended a replacement that will glow the reflectors properly instead of the usual pinpoints that LEDs put out.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I have ultra-bright LEDs in mine (the ones with heat sinks 'cause they get hot) but they're still not as bright as the standard incandescent bulb. I think the only way you'll get them bright enough would be to use four or six ultra-brights for each cell (ie three cells in the lamp), which ain't gonna be cheap.

Also bear in mind replacing your brake lamp globes with LEDs will reduce the resistance across the circuit, which will cause the ECU to trip out and screw up your ABS and AYC systems. You can buy in-line resistor kits designed to compensate for this problem which I strongly recommend if you intend to go down this path.

dr-25-lt

1000th Member!
First Name
michael
Drive
'98 white FL S2 legnum
guys, i gotta a quick question...

i got 100W H7 globes, but they dont seem to work too well... one has blown, and i think it might be due to the fact that its 100w instead of 55w.

Could the extra wattage cause overall lights to not be as bright (like massive speakers doing stuff all when teamed up to a baby amp).

i know it could possibly need aligning (lights)... does any one know what we need to do to align them...

Cheers...:D

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
guys, i gotta a quick question...

i got 100W H7 globes, but they dont seem to work too well... one has blown, and i think it might be due to the fact that its 100w instead of 55w.

Could the extra wattage cause overall lights to not be as bright (like massive speakers doing stuff all when teamed up to a baby amp).

i know it could possibly need aligning (lights)... does any one know what we need to do to align them...

Cheers...:D

Lucky your bulb has just blown... next time your headlight might catch fire :D

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I want to re-light the high-mounted brake light with LEDs. Can anyone recommended a replacement that will glow the reflectors properly instead of the usual pinpoints that LEDs put out.

I remember that there was a thread located somewhere on the forums about a member who fitted a late model Magna top brakelight which are already LED from factory and are similar shape to ours so that might be an easier option. Pretty sure the member just got one from the wreckers and it fitted with little modification.

G

Unregistered
I remember that there was a thread located somewhere on the forums about a member who fitted a late model Magna top brakelight which are already LED from factory and are similar shape to ours so that might be an easier option. Pretty sure the member just got one from the wreckers and it fitted with little modification.

I saw that too, from memory it was on a Galant though :(

dr-25-lt

1000th Member!
First Name
michael
Drive
'98 white FL S2 legnum
Lucky your bulb has just blown... next time your headlight might catch fire :D

shit ey... :eek:hmy:

but if i go down in wattage to 55w, will the light not be as strong??? (i know it sounds like a silly question, but if it aint used to the higher wattage i feel it might not work as effectively...)

cos i really need the globe replaced now as view is even worse at night, and wanna make the right choice this time round...

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
shit ey... :eek:hmy:

but if i go down in wattage to 55w, will the light not be as strong??? (i know it sounds like a silly question, but if it aint used to the higher wattage i feel it might not work as effectively...)

cos i really need the globe replaced now as view is even worse at night, and wanna make the right choice this time round...

Looks like you just missed a good deal:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7185

dr-25-lt

1000th Member!
First Name
michael
Drive
'98 white FL S2 legnum
Looks like you just missed a good deal:

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7185

i saw them yesterday actually... lol. oh well...

i found some on ebay... business in melbourne selling a pack of 3 (yes 3) for around $16 delivered to my door... but i he only had 55w listed, and i told him i wanted 100w (as that was in my car and i thought thats what i needed)...

but to go a lil off topic, my air con is playing silly buggers... its either at really hot or really cold... the climate control temp has no response to what the temp of air comming out of the vents are...

(i did install a tv screen and subs, and although not immediately, the light blew and air con stuffed up... could this be bad luck, or a direct cause???)

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
but to go a lil off topic, my air con is playing silly buggers... its either at really hot or really cold... the climate control temp has no response to what the temp of air comming out of the vents are...

(i did install a tv screen and subs, and although not immediately, the light blew and air con stuffed up... could this be bad luck, or a direct cause???)

Sounds as though you didn't plug all the wires back in when putting cover panel back on.

G

Unregistered
Probably a stupid question :oops: but given that we already have red brake light lenses.. should we be going for clear or red coloured LED replacement lamps? Is there a difference in brightness?

-T8-

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tate
Drive
WRX CSE5, 7g galant
h7's +80% are good . but they are jsut for headlights . never taken off the auto shifter to see the globes so cant help you there .
and a quick Q,
is it truu that if i have my headlights on and my fog/drive lights i can get fined for it?

Iv never had a fine but i have received so many warnings.. just gotta act innocent and pretend you didnt know they were on/dont know how to turn them off...
They can only be used in rain or fog as they can cause distractions to other drivers :thumbdown:
Which is odd.. cause Audi and holdens new models all have fairy lights lining the front lights, which is more distracting and has round 30 lights facing forward :confused:

G

Unregistered
Anyone successfully replaced the T15 driver & passenger side map lights with LEDs and what did you use? I just tested out an LED bulb in there and it was terribly dim, I think because the way the bulb sits in the holder and the light bounces off a reflector rather than facing the LEDs straight down.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Side Map Lights? As in Interior Front Map Lamps, aren't they 31mm Festoon Bulbs?

G

Unregistered
The middle room light is the festoon, the ones either side are T15 wedges.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Hmmm, are we talking about the one adjacent to the rear view mirror, if so, there must be a difference between series 1 & 2..... mine are all festoons!!

Top Bottom