Replacement bulbs/globes (headlights, tail lights & everything in-between)

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
Anyone replaced them before tried to change the colours for the gear lights ?

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
anyonw know where i can get some really nice, bright, white/blue H3's for the fog lamps on a PFL?
afaik the Low beams have nice white/blue Platinum or ultra white Narva globes, but the highest brightness they(Narva) make in H3 fitting is Arctic blue, which is still Yellow...
looks kinda weird running nice white/blue headlights and yellow Fogs :/

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Fog lights are useless anyway. Can't use them very often without the risk of a fine from the boys in blue.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Fog lights are useless anyway. Can't use them very often without the risk of a fine from the boys in blue.

I was having this discussion with someone the other day at uni... I'm under the impression that you can use them under the term "driving lights" but they become illegal as "fog lights" haha! How ridiculous if it's true. I usually have mine on anyway as I like the light they give off to the sides of the car, haven't had any troubles from police yet. Bit off-topic, whoops.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
It is just an instant way to draw attention to yourself, and have them look over the car further.......

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
theres nothing defectable on my car anyway as far as i know, and i know the law exists, but have never heard of anyone being pulled over for that alone.. normally the boys will get you for something else, and if your being rude or arrogant, they'll pin you for foglights too..
ill just call them 'driving lights' if they ask about them :p

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
theres nothing defectable on my car anyway as far as i know, and i know the law exists, but have never heard of anyone being pulled over for that alone.. normally the boys will get you for something else, and if your being rude or arrogant, they'll pin you for foglights too..
ill just call them 'driving lights' if they ask about them :p

i've been done for having fog lights.. and the 'boys' were targeting cars with their foggies on..

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
My brother in law got a pulled over/warning for having them on too

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
ahh fair enough, like i said, ive only seen people get done fo them as an 'add on' so to speak.
cheers, guys. might just leave them if thats the case!

also, 'Boys' was simply a shortened down boys in blue, didnt mean it to come across as sexist or anything,

KwS

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Kelvin
Drive
GVR4 manual F/L
NZ tried the whole "no fog lights unless the weather conditions call for them" thing. What a load of crap. If i want to make sure my car is seen by others, ill have my foglights on. To my knowledge they arent pointed high enough to dazzle other drivers, unlike some of these massive offroaders that have huge spotlights on the front that they use as driving lights.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Mate got pulled over and fined $100 with 1 demerit point for having fogs on. Not worth trouble, hence why i mine are now in my bedroom and not on my front bar

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
ROAD SAFETY ROAD RULES 2009 - SECT 217

Using fog lights

217. Using fog lights

(1) The driver must not operate any front or rear fog light fitted to the
vehicle unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather
conditions causing reduced visibility.

Penalty: 3 penalty units.

My bolding on this.

Also,
weath·er (wr)
n.
1. The state of the atmosphere at a given time and place.

I, personally, would consider the fact that it is dark outside because it is night time, to be a hazardous state of the atmosphere causing reduced visibility compared to that in the middle of a clear blue day.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
My bolding on this.

Also,

I, personally, would consider the fact that it is dark outside because it is night time, to be a hazardous state of the atmosphere causing reduced visibility compared to that in the middle of a clear blue day.

Good luck with that argument.....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Joey, dont think anyone here had tried them.. why not go ahead with that can bus and see if it works?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Think I'll try the $2 option first, see if it throws a fit and go from there. CAN-BUS LEDs are similar price to the Philips Blue Vision BA9 ie $10.

From what I can make out, CAN-BUS simply have the same resistance as conventional incandescents.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Joey, I've just re-read your reply.. if its for the park light then any LED bulbs are ok.. ive used smd led as well as the typical LED ones and have had been ok

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Assumed resistance wouldn't be as important with park compared to stop lamps, thanks for confirming :) Since you've tried SMD amongst others, which did you find worked best?

Edit: Have purchased 2x White BA9s 3886X 57 Bayonet 1W High Power LED Bulbs from http://stores.ebay.com.au/mixkit Will get comparison pics of incandescents and LEDs when they arrive.

Top Bottom