Replacing the clutch

G

Unregistered
the spacer is custom

looked into those ebay clutch kits, not worth it IMO,
from the searching ive done, theres mixed reports, from being great, to being a complete crud, althou no one has recommended them for a high power/torque car)

worst case.. friction material seprating from the disk, to rivits poping out, even flywheel failure,
best worse case, high judder short life

G

Unregistered
Yea I guess it all comes back to you get what you pay for.

Sounds like the exedy 7223's are the best way to go.

Can our stock fly wheels be machined lighter? Anyone had theres done?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
SRD (http://www.srd.net.nz/) in NZ sell a lighter and stronger one for $450NSD or will lighten a factory one for $120 according to emails I've sent back and forward with them.

The exchange rate is pretty good at the moment so it might be worth it?

G

Unregistered
mitsi have never recommended having the fly wheel being machined
as they are quite thin as it is,

not that no one does it, its fine if its done right,

i wouldnt recommend drilling it or machinin it to make it lighter thou (personal opinion)

there are a few companys that do a light weight unit for the 6a13tt thou...

JUN, Pro Shop Iida, and SRD based here in NZ,

this guy is SRD >>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=494852

althou he has none listed he does make them to order, around 5-600nz if i remember correctly
mike (mpau009) is using a SRD light weight flywheel with no issues so far

oh and with SRD flywheels you need to have the factory ring gear removed and fitted to the new fly.
so add that on top of the cost of it

Mr Gears

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Brett
Drive
HJ Galant V6
I would use an Exedy Sports organic for terrorising the streets.
For drag use under 240Kw ATW I would use Exedy sports (I think its a 4 puck for your model).
For circuit use I would go far a Jap Hyper style single or twin.
A lightweight flywheel is always a good idea.
I have not yet looked into the flywheel spacers for EVO clutches, but it would be nice if you could get a flywheel off the shelf to do the conversion.
I believe that there was an upgrade of the clutch In the EC5A/W from 230-240mm. I am not sure when it happened though if at all.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Hey Brett...I'm right in the market for a new clutch and install. If you could suss out what's around that'd be great.

I'd like a lightened flywheel as well if possible, I'm just not a big fan of the spacer idea. I know it might be perfectly safe, but something just doesn't sit right with me.

Do you reckon you could find something for us? I've got the cash to get it all done at any time now.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i'm also looking into replacing my clutch very very soon, right after the last dyno day.. my clutch's situation seemed to have worsen..

I've driven Lee's and Josh's car.. I seem to like Josh's more because it's got that factory soft feel to it but still able to launch pretty good.. with Lee's it picks up pretty good too but doesn't have the soft clutch feel that I'm after.. also that his clutch's got that shuddering feel when you drop the clutch really quickly..

I'll talk to APC this week and will let you guys know more about it..

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Tell me about your driving style and power output estimate.

I do a lot of country road driving, (from the back of Windsor/Wilberforce area to Windsor every day), not much traffic. The stop-start scenario isn't too bad. I quite like a heavier clutch feel, so I don't mind an increased pedal load.

As far as slipping, something that could cope with a little bit of slip would be nice as there's some situations where it's very hard not to slip the clutch. From what I've read/heard etc. slipping an HDB can cause big problems. So I was thinking the HDCB, but I've heard they don't last as long. But I guess that depends on how you treat it. My TR magna one lasted forever, but (another one lol) it had nowhere near the power or torque of these.

I want to hit the 1/4 soon and track days, not all the time but probably twice a year (I understand the track days are pretty expensive all up).

I do like to give the car a squirt where and when safe to do so too ;) I'm not immune to the traffic light GP :ROFLMAO:.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
APC's version of the HD works great, and it feels softer pedal'd than my last clutch. I actually went to APC today and had Eddie come for a drive to check out my rear brakes squeal.. aparently im missing backing plates on the rear. Also asked him about launching, he was saying that doing the whole floorboard it then drop the clutch at the revs you want to launch at is not only fast, but also VERY bad for the rest of the car lol.. understandable. I got him to show me more of a 'less stress' way of taking off, which was pretty similar to what i do. Id rather not spend more on broken bits, which is what you will get if you get a crazy clutch just to start dropping it all the time.. Im happy having some slip cause you slip into the launch kinda thing..

G

Unregistered
Kudos Motorsport (thanks Trav) sells the MBK7223HD for $639 plus shipping... sounds like a decent price?

I had a poke around their site and it seems that clutches for Skylines, Silvias, etc. are way cheaper... stoopid supply and demand!

I went onto the Kudos site today to purchase an Exedy HD and they listed prices at:

$720 for the HD

&

$671 for the Standard

Can Trav get special prices or have they gone up?

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Contact them direct and see if he can do you a better deal. I wont say on here how much he charged me for my HDCB but he can definitely come down a lot from those prices...

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the heads up Lee, will give them a hola tomorrow and see if they want to tango.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
difference from the nissan clutches is that ours is a Pull type, similar to the Supra, that adds a lot of cost.

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Does anybody know what is actually required to use an evo6 etc clutch? I heard a spacer? but is it possible to change flywheel then it will but up ok? they are generally cheaper and give wider options

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
difference from the nissan clutches is that ours is a Pull type, similar to the Supra, that adds a lot of cost.

Tell me about it! I looked at an OS Giken clutch which was about $1800...but then you need to buy the OS Giken Pull to Push converter which was around $500 :banghead:

But, the clutch would rock :ROFLMAO:

I'm getting my HDCB fitted on Monday at Meek!

G

Unregistered
Why Lee you were right - woot!

Andrew from Kudos was a champ.

$649 delivered for the Exedy HD 7223 Clutch Kit

Shweeet, mines on it's way.

Top Bottom