Rough idle

G

Unregistered
Hey guys i reset my ecu last week by disconnecting the battery but did not drive the car straight away. When i did hop into the car i had issues with stalling. it would not hold revs. eventually it seemed to re-learn i guess and has stopped stalling but the revs sit far too low for my liking on idle. Its currently sitting on around 650rpm when stationary.
Any thoughts?
Adjust the idle screw?
Re-set the ecu and drive straight away?
Or is there deeper issues?

Cheers
Bill

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
650-700rpm is about right. Does it feel a bit rough? If all you've done is reset the battery don't worry about it. If it wasn't fine before I'd look for an air leak first of all.

G

Unregistered
well it feels a bit rough. before the reset i didnt have the issue and it was sitting around 750-800

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Its idling within the right range - maybe you have other issues that just haven't been apparent before?

G

Unregistered
no it hasnt stalled since the initial reset. once the car is stationary teh revs drop to the 650 mark and it stays there but doesnt the engine doesnt sound like its idling smoothly.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I have just lately noticed a slight reving feel...it sits around 650 but feels like it is going normal....then rumm then normal ......then rumm...how do we clean the idle stepper ?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
did you have the AC on? i know its kinda a noob question but more info's are better..

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Nah mate i dont usually put the aircon on at all

G

Unregistered
I have just lately noticed a slight reving feel...it sits around 650 but feels like it is going normal....then rumm then normal ......then rumm...how do we clean the idle stepper ?

that is kind of whats happening to me. im beginning to think its the stepper motor

G

Unregistered
mine too is idling a bit sporadically and has sometimes stalled when first started. Mine could be a dirty air filter never cleaned it..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Air filter should have been replaced at compliance - pop it out, it should still be near white if not pristine.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Is it an auto or manual? Usually auto's idle slightly higher than manual.
650 is the factory figure.

G

Unregistered
its manual. i just noticed on the inside of the bonnet it states 650 as the factory setting. i think it might be the stepper motor. its going in for a service next week ill get them to check it out and maybe clean the stepper motor.

G

Unregistered
SORTED!!
was not idle stepper motor complete opposite actually. base idle was set to low and the only thing that was stopping the car from stalling was the stepper motor. now fixed.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
glad you've sorted it out and that it's not the stepper motor, from what i've been hearing (and reading) stepper motor can really be a PITA..

G

Unregistered
Did a ecu reset on my (manual) got 650-700rpm when the car was warm when it had been standing on idle until i t gets warm.

But when i have driven it for 5-6 minuts the idle is back on 900-950

Checked the idle screw and i cannot adjust it any more for low idle.

Can mitsubishi adjust the idle more if they hook up the car to the computer?

Top Bottom